CH4S Artist
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1842 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Can Zandvoort Host An F1 Dutch Grand Prix?

MP245 - Can Zandvoort Host An F1 Dutch Grand Prix?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 08:41 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: May 2014
Vehicle: 1988 300CE
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutone View Post
MP245 - Can Zandvoort Host An F1 Dutch Grand Prix?
IMO … yes it can … and so can Assen and the Nürburgring-Nordschleife too. Of course, the F1 cars would have to be modified in such a way that they can be used on a real race track without falling apart after half a lap.

I know, most people would contradict and say “No way ... too dangerous“. … Having seen motorsport on all those and many other race tracks since the 1960‘s I say, no matter which motorsport category, it was always dangerous compared to today‘s F1 which mostly takes place on artificial fool-proof, flat and smoothly asphalted areas which resemble go-kart tracks that have been blown up a little. … Call me old-fashioned, but I prefer real world race tracks with individual ‘characters‘, where people demonstrate what they‘re able and dare to do on wheels.

Looking at today‘s F1 I wouldn‘t be surprised if soon it will be an event where a bunch of adolescents sit together several times a year in a room, or even alone at their homes, with joysticks in their hands and remote control soundless vehicles on tracks around the world. … Not that I‘d be there and watch it, but maybe that way F1 will finally return even to the Nordschleife. …

H.D.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
CH4S Artist
Outstanding Contributor

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by H.D. View Post
IMO … yes it can … and so can Assen and the Nürburgring-Nordschleife too. Of course, the F1 cars would have to be modified in such a way that they can be used on a real race track without falling apart after half a lap.

I know, most people would contradict and say “No way ... too dangerous“. … Having seen motorsport on all those and many other race tracks since the 1960‘s I say, no matter which motorsport category, it was always dangerous compared to today‘s F1 which mostly takes place on artificial fool-proof, flat and smoothly asphalted areas which resemble go-kart tracks that have been blown up a little. … Call me old-fashioned, but I prefer real world race tracks with individual ‘characters‘, where people demonstrate what they‘re able and dare to do on wheels.

Looking at today‘s F1 I wouldn‘t be surprised if soon it will be an event where a bunch of adolescents sit together several times a year in a room, or even alone at their homes, with joysticks in their hands and remote control soundless vehicles on tracks around the world. … Not that I‘d be there and watch it, but maybe that way F1 will finally return even to the Nordschleife. …

H.D.
I haven't been in Zandvoort for many years, but used to visit 3 times a month or so. The front half (or a bit more as seen from the coastal road), with the long straight along the old grandstands with a unique (Tarzan's Paw) corner at the end (used to have a little restaurant next to it) looks the same. I guess the land of the rear part has been sold and residences build on it. That's the part where Piers Courage burned to death in his car. We were on top of the dune, looking down on the whole accident and his death. It took the marshals a long time to erect a cover and block sight of the car. The smell is not easy to forget.
I assume one advantage of the track being in the dunes, they should be a natural sound barrier/reducer for whoever lives in those new houses.
Zandvoort is a very nice place, lodging / hotel space will be an issue (there used to be a Loews right across), parking as well.
About 1 km up the coastal road is a railway station, but the N200 from Amsterdam via Haarlem used to be the only mayor road in or out.

Near the entry to the track used to be a skidding (should be another word for it) school (Slotemaker?). On a wetted parkour I used to watch the main instructor drive at speed towards 2 posts, do a 180 degree spin, and wind up parked backwards between 2 posts with perhaps a foot and a half on each side.
The posts were not plastic but real concrete.
My friend Herman's family home, plus a guest house they build in the 80's was just a few hundred yards S on Burgermeeester... from the track's entrance.

Honorable mention: A tunnel leads under the track to infield parking, and I remember one of the driver (Jo Schlesser, J.P Jabouille ?) punching a journalist

Quote:
'Tarzan's Paw,' the corner at the end of the start/finish straight, is a multiple radius hairpin (= paw).
The speed possible to carry through the first part is easily too fast for the second.
It can be quite tricky, but there is a high sand dune to catch the too fast cars. Don't ask how i know
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circuit_Zandvoort
pic shows the old and new track
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 06:43 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: May 2014
Vehicle: 1988 300CE
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutone View Post
... That's the part where Piers Courage burned to death in his car. ...
I saw that accident on TV in Tirol, where we were on summer vacation when that race took place. They say that he died before the fire started. When he crashed into the dune his front wheel including suspension and his helmet where ripped off and the front wheel hit his unprotected head. They say that his head was fatally injured by that.

Zandvoort was not bad. And I also liked Assen a lot … and still like it. The legendary Dutch motorcycle GP always took place there a week before the also legendary Belgian motorcycle GP in Spa-Francorchamps … two of the anual motorsport highlights for me and many others around here. Both events had a terrific atmosphere and masses of spectators (many of them the same) came to them. …

H.D.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
CH4S Artist
Outstanding Contributor

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
According to Joe Saward, confirmation of the Zandvoort F1 GP is imminent.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
CH4S Artist
Outstanding Contributor

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
The Dutch GP

https://www.motorsportweek.com/joesaward/id/00497

And by the way, the Dutch Grand Prix will be confirmed on May 14 and will take place at Zandvoort on May 10 2020 - so long as there is some work done to upgrade the paddock area. The bad news for Spanish F1 fans is that we may be heading to the last Spanish GP next week, as the problems between Spain and Catalonia (which have dominated the general election that was held at the weekend) will make it impossible for a deal to be struck for the future. Things will obviously not be helped by the fact that Fernando Alonso has left F1...
Noodles likes this.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
CH4S Artist
Outstanding Contributor

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
VIDEO 'It's a beautiful track' - The drivers on racing at Zandvoort

VIDEO

'It's a beautiful track' - The drivers on racing at Zandvoort

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...o0wreNnXK.html
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
CH4S Artist
Outstanding Contributor

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Take a lap of Zandvoort with Max Verstappen

Take a lap of Zandvoort | Jump on board with Max Verstappen around Circuit Zandvoort

H.D. likes this.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
CH4S Artist
Outstanding Contributor

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
1980 F1 Dutch GP

German, I couldn't find an English version, there is another in Dutch online.

H.D. likes this.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
CH4S Artist
Outstanding Contributor

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
79 GP English but condensed

H.D. likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Mercedes-Benz Motorsports & Racing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in