The Bravest Man on Earth? - Page 4 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 03:24 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: May 2014
Vehicle: 1988 300CE
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
The first time I saw the sidecars was in my early childhood in ‘61 or ‘62 ... in Spa-Francorchamps. ... BTW, many scenes in your video are from that race track.

I remember the top team of the first half of the 60‘s very well … Max Deubel & Emil Hörner with their BMW (the ones at 0:36 in your video). They became world champions 4 years in a row. I was at Max Deubel‘s home once in the mid 60‘s with my father and my brother.

At 0:50 in your video is the Swiss/British team Fritz Scheidegger & John Robinson with their BMW. I always wondered how Fritz Scheidegger could do that … he wore very thick glasses, he must have been half blind.

I was impressed by Helmut Fath who built his own sidecar including its 500cc inline 4-cylinder engine (!) which he called “URS“. He won together with Wolfgang Kalauch the world championship with that sidecar in 1968.

I also liked the top team of the first half of the 70‘s very much … Klaus Enders & Ralf Engelhardt on BMW. They were world champions 6 times.

My favorite sidecars, however, were the ones with the 500cc 4-cylinder two-stroke engines up from the mid 70‘s. ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
CH4S Artist
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1842 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
As an aside:
There are a few similarities with sailing open class Corsair or Flying Dutchman (FD), you have a steel cable coming from top of mast hooked up to a belt, the front sail rope tightly in both hands, feet spread apart on the side edge of the boat, body parallel over the water. You try to keep the boat as level as possible for max speed.
Sailing close to the wind looks great because of the angle, but is quite slow. In the winter we would do the same, but with skids under the boat for ice sailing and speeds of up to 80+ miles per hour. In the trapeze, helping to balance the boat with the butt frequently within inches of the ice was not for the faint hearted either.
Roughly from our landing across the lake was a sailors pub for people coming by boat. On their menu was a deceptively named 'mild herbal liqueur' which really was 70% alcohol to warm you up in the winter.
My cousins husband was a championship sailer competing in regatta all the time. He taught me how to sail.
Later and semi retired he had a good sized sailing ship berthed in Genova, and would sail the Mediterranean for six month a year.
He would call almost every year, and my question for how long always got the same answer, and my reply to not have the time.
Today, I wish I would have taken him up on his offer. RIP Günther.
post #33 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 01:32 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Here comes Dean Harrison with his Kawasaki ZX10R … so far the fastest man during practice this week.

Teutone and Noodles like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
CH4S Artist
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1842 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Guy's analysis of the TT | Guy Martin Proper

Guy's analysis of the TT | Guy Martin Proper

post #35 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 10:55 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Here‘s an on-board video of the fastest lap that anyone has ever done on the TT course. Peter Hickman‘s final lap of last year‘s Senior TT race … the big one that everybody wants to win … with “Hicky“ commenting it himself.

This year‘s Senior race will take place tomorrow afternoon. Let‘s see if Peter Hickman can win it again or if Dean Harrison, James Hillier, Michael Dunlop and a number of other really fast guys won‘t let him win it again.

Teutone and Noodles like this.
post #36 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 06:30 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Dean Harrison is the winner of this year‘s Senior TT race. … Peter Hickman finished second and Conor Cummins third (again). … Hicky is still the lap record holder with last year‘s 135.452 mph lap.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dean-Harrison - Senior TT 2019.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	183.7 KB
ID:	2518680  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Mercedes-Benz Motorsports & Racing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in