Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1902 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by H.D. View Post
Reminds me to the Ford Falcon Jacky Ickx once drove in a touring car race in Francorchamps in the late 60‘s.

Here‘s a video of Dan Gurney from 2002, when he came back to Francorchamps with his 1967 Eagle T1G-Weslake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOwmMLJhj-g
Jacky Ickx, one of my all time heroes and perhaps the greatest all around racing driver of my generation
His daughter didn't to too bad either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 08:24 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: May 2014
Vehicle: 1988 300CE
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutone View Post
Jacky Ickx, one of my all time heroes and perhaps the greatest all around racing driver of my generation ...
… and a real gentleman with very good manners. I met him several times at classic car events at the Nürburgring and in Francochamps and talked with him about what I remembered about his races up from one of his first, the 24h race in Francorchamps in 1966 which he won together with Hubert Hahne on a BMW 2000TI. Talking with him is a real pleasure. …

Here‘s a video with him talking about Porsche (which he is a great fan of) and a photo of him driving the Ford Falcon at the “Coupes de Spa“ in 1969.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Coupes de Spa 1969 Start.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	2453531  
Teutone likes this.
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
CH4S Artist
Outstanding Contributor

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
… and a real gentleman with very good manners. I met him several times at classic car events at the Nürburgring and in Francochamps and talked with him about what I remembered about his races up from one of his first, the 24h race in Francorchamps in 1966 which he won together with Hubert Hahne on a BMW 2000TI. Talking with him is a real pleasure. …

Here‘s a video with him talking about Porsche (which he is a great fan of) and a photo of him driving the Ford Falcon at the “Coupes de Spa“ in 1969.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krcuhp7UUNM&t=13s
In case you missed this one

H.D. likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 03:27 AM Thread Starter
CH4S Artist
Outstanding Contributor

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Ride along in a 1969 Porsche 917K

H.D. likes this.
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 11:08 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Yep … that‘s at the Laguna Seca raceway. … If the camera view would be a little lower you‘d probably (in the left corner) see the pressure gauge to check for fractures of the car‘s tubular magnesium frame. The frame was pressurized to 4 bar … Ferdinand Piech‘s idea (originally to check the quality of the welder‘s work in the factory over night). … And see the (perforated) ignition key above the red kill switch. …

The 917 played a considerable role in my desire to go into mechanical engineering (instead of music ) … As a young adolescent I had several times the opportunity to watch the 917 develop from close up. … I‘ll never forget the sound of their air-cooled flat-12 engines when people like Siffert, Bell, Rodriguez etc. went to the limit with them, finishing the 1000 km race at Spa-Francorchamps in ~4 hours in 1970 & 1971 … a regular country road on regular days at that time, with houses, bus stops, lamp posts & trees very close next to it. … The memories of these 2 races still make the hair on my arms stand up.

The first attached video was taken at the “Historic GP“ at Zandvoord last year and the second one was taken at the “Oltimer GP“ at the Nürburgring a few weeks ago.

H.D.

post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 06:19 AM Thread Starter
CH4S Artist
Outstanding Contributor

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Yep … that‘s at the Laguna Seca raceway. … If the camera view would be a little lower you‘d probably (in the left corner) see the pressure gauge to check for fractures of the car‘s tubular magnesium frame. The frame was pressurized to 4 bar … Ferdinand Piech‘s idea (originally to check the quality of the welder‘s work in the factory over night). … And see the (perforated) ignition key above the red kill switch. …

The 917 played a considerable role in my desire to go into mechanical engineering (instead of music ) … As a young adolescent I had several times the opportunity to watch the 917 develop from close up. … I‘ll never forget the sound of their air-cooled flat-12 engines when people like Siffert, Bell, Rodriguez etc. went to the limit with them, finishing the 1000 km race at Spa-Francorchamps in ~4 hours in 1970 & 1971 … a regular country road on regular days at that time, with houses, bus stops, lamp posts & trees very close next to it. … The memories of these 2 races still make the hair on my arms stand up.

The first attached video was taken at the “Historic GP“ at Zandvoord last year and the second one was taken at the “Oltimer GP“ at the Nürburgring a few weeks ago.

H.D.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HHMfSAaWrQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4PofwEilqU
Pretty cool

H.D. likes this.
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 02:30 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Quote:
Pretty cool
Right! … these cars (Porsche 917K, Ferrari 512S & Lola T70) marked the spectacular five-litre Group 6 era, which ended in 1971. It was discontinued mainly for two reasons … these cars were too dangerously fast for the race tracks of that time, and it was practically clear what car will win the race. The only question was how hard the others will try not to stay to far behind.

Jacky Ickx drove the Ferrari 512S with its also beautifully sounding 12 cylinder engine in the 1000 km race at Spa-Francorchamps in 1970.

Just found & scanned the attached photo of that race. I took it 200 meters above Raidillon. It shows “Seppi“ (Jo Siffert) in front of Pedro Rodriguez and Jacky Ickx after the first lap. I should have been more focussed on getting the cars more centered in the picture … but I was only thirteen & very excited. … Look how the front of the 917 came up under full acceleration … and consider that at that spot they were at 170 - 180 mph, engine screaming at WOT.

H.D.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Siffert, Rodriguez, Ickx _ 1970.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	2457153  
Teutone likes this.
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
CH4S Artist
Outstanding Contributor

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
The AMAZING Porsche 919 Hybrid | Chris Harris Drives

The AMAZING Porsche 919 Hybrid | Chris Harris Drives | Top Gear

post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 01:00 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Quote:
The AMAZING Porsche 919 Hybrid ...
The 917 took a lot of senses & brain to be controlled. The 919 not so much anymore … it has it built in already … and it knows today's artificial race tracks better than the passenger … sorry, the driver. …

Those who saw the 917‘s be raced almost 5 decades ago on real race tracks (which were partly country roads in those days) … not carefully moved like at today‘s historic racecar events … find it difficult to call today‘s LMP1 races “motorsport“. They‘re rather “engineeringsport“.

Have another look at the 919/917 video I posted earlier already and listen to the sound that was burned into my memory almost 5 decades ago. … BTW, the 917 you see from 1:10 to 1:32 and up from 6:24 is the one that‘s parked in a race car garage close to my home. Also the (very beautiful ) Martini 917 that you see from 2:37 to 6:24 is maintained in that garage. Sometimes I stop by there when I ride the mountainbike. …

Teutone and Noodles like this.
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 03:43 AM Thread Starter
CH4S Artist
Outstanding Contributor

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
A perfectly legal eargasm

Richard Attwood, a pretty quick 78 year old

H.D. likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Mercedes-Benz Motorsports & Racing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in