U.K.'s MotorSport & Royal Automobile Club Podcasts - Page 4 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 07:39 PM
Purple Moderator

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1527 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
When I was working at a multi brand German dealership that also sold Suburu the wanted to give me a Justy as my demo. LOL

I said can I take that cream colored 1974 2002 Tii instead? They said sure. It was an amazingly quick and nimble car. That was
when IMO BMW did make some of the "Ultimate Driving Machines". I ended up buying the car and it really is one car I wish I still had.
Teutone likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
CH4S Artist
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1895 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
When I was working at a multi brand German dealership that also sold Suburu the wanted to give me a Justy as my demo. LOL

I said can I take that cream colored 1974 2002 Tii instead? They said sure. It was an amazingly quick and nimble car. That was
when IMO BMW did make some of the "Ultimate Driving Machines". I ended up buying the car and it really is one car I wish I still had.
Imo, the only other car occupying that same niche as the 2000ti was the 1.6 L Alfa Rome Giulia Super with a 5 speed that felt like kneading dough in a bucket, until the even more nimble BMW 02 came along.

The friend with the previously mentioned 2000Ti Alpina lost his driving license, and once I had mine I got to drive the car more frequently. It had a fixed racing seat, had a very small leather covered steering wheel and for that time handled unlike anything else on the road and.
The 1600ti and later 2002ti I had took that a step further. If you had been a bit over enthusiastic and carried too much speed into a corner, you put the car sideways into a slide to rub off speed, no problem. The 02 was one of the most well tempered and forgiving cars you could drive imo. My next car, a 911, was a different story.
I always wondered to what extent the later famed American automotive industry heavy weight Bob Lutz (educated in Switzerland and fluent in German among others) had anything to do with the development of the 02 chassis in his first industry job with BMW (I read now that he was at GM first). I recall seeing his name connected with the 02 and BMW motorsports, even given the nick name niche Bob (Nischen Bob) for being one of the few to recognize the niche for such cars. Those stories seem to have disappeared though.
Or perhaps I got it mixed up with the 3 series, had too much booze, or ingested certain substances
Noodles likes this.
post #33 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
CH4S Artist
Outstanding Contributor

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Great story on how Ecclestone got control of F1

Noodles likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 03:55 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: May 2014
Vehicle: 1988 300CE
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutone View Post
The BMW 2000TI Ickx - Hahne raced. If I remember correctly, these cars were famous for lifting one wheel in tight corners. ...
Right … and not only the 2000TI … I can not remember any touring car in the 60‘s & 70‘s, including the 3.0 CSLs and the 3-liter Capris, that I haven‘t seen lifting the right front wheel at La Source and at the fast Raidillon. I remember having seen them even with both inner wheels off the ground there. …

Quote:
... A friends mom had the 2 door coupe based on the same chassis = 2000CS (pic on the right). In all my years in the US, I have seen only one.
IMO, the CS series was one of BMW‘s most beautiful series … and the 3.0 CSL was the most beautiful car in touring car racing in the first half of the 70‘s … optically and phonetically. …

The video shows a compilation of scenes from classic race car events at Francorchamps and Nürburgring.

post #35 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 01:45 AM Thread Starter
CH4S Artist
Outstanding Contributor

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
The yellow 3.0 Schnitzer CSL I totaled near Dortmund Germany (found a pic) had three double 45 Webers. The only thing to slightly dampen the (imo great) intake sound were a few of the little 2002 round air filters. The engine had individual headers but the exhaust sound was more noticeable to people outside.
Add the ZF 5-speed dog leg racing gear box with straight cut gears / teeth (noisy but stronger, I never saw the need to bother installing a stereo.
Btw, that reminds me of a pet peeve: people posting racing video but feel the weird need to add music to the sound track deserve a swift kick in the posterior.
The one thing I always found a bit odd, whether my buddy's 2000Ti, the CSL's, or other stripped down same model track cars usually still had the wooden dash with that little flexible swan neck light.
Attached Images

post #36 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 01:49 AM Thread Starter
CH4S Artist
Outstanding Contributor

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
The yellow 3.0 Schnitzer CSL I totaled near Dortmund Germany (found a pic) had three double 45 Webers. The only thing to slightly dampen the (imo great) intake sound were a few of the little 2002 round air filters. The engine had individual headers but the exhaust sound was more noticeable to people outside.
Add the ZF 5-speed dog leg racing gear box with straight cut gears / teeth (noisy but stronger, I never saw the need to bother installing a stereo.
Btw, that reminds me of a pet peeve: people posting racing video but feel the weird need to add music to the sound track deserve a swift kick in the posterior.
The one thing I always found a bit odd, whether my buddy's 2000Ti, the CSL's, or other stripped down same model track cars usually still had the wooden dash with that little flexible swan neck light.
When I compare my efforts to Swiss forum member Marc and his restored Heidegger racing CSL, I was just a pretender and not worthy
Attached Images

Noodles likes this.
post #37 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 07:42 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: May 2014
Vehicle: 1988 300CE
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Quote:
The yellow 3.0 Schnitzer CSL I totaled near Dortmund Germany (found a pic) had three double 45 Webers ...
... and you had three guardian angels, I would say. ...

Quote:
When I compare my efforts to Swiss forum member Marc and his restored Heidegger racing CSL ...
Reminds me to the Jägermeister Alpina CSL that was driven by Muir / Joisten in the Spa 24h race in 1973 which I remember very well. … The 24h race was one of the anual highlights at Spa-Francorchamps in the 60‘s and 70‘s. The picture shows the start of that race in 1973, with Brian Muir in the lead at Eau Rouge, next to Chris Amon in the werks-CSL. … Look at the number of cars. ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Start 24h Spa 1973.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	2433525  
Teutone and Noodles like this.
post #38 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
CH4S Artist
Outstanding Contributor

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
John Barnard podcast

John Barnard

post #39 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
CH4S Artist
Outstanding Contributor

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by H.D. View Post
Right … and not only the 2000TI … I can not remember any touring car in the 60‘s & 70‘s, including the 3.0 CSLs and the 3-liter Capris, that I haven‘t seen lifting the right front wheel at La Source and at the fast Raidillon. I remember having seen them even with both inner wheels off the ground there. …

IMO, the CS series was one of BMW‘s most beautiful series … and the 3.0 CSL was the most beautiful car in touring car racing in the first half of the 70‘s … optically and phonetically. …

The video shows a compilation of scenes from classic race car events at Francorchamps and Nürburgring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g137adUNlwc
I was recently reminded that when the front inner wheel was up, it frequently hovered slightly past the sharp end of the apex, just slightly off road over grass etc, and the best drivers used the leg up characteristic of these cars to make the road 'slightly wider.'
post #40 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
CH4S Artist
Outstanding Contributor

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Martin Brundle podcast, in association with Mercedes-Benz

Martin Brundle podcast, in association with Mercedes-Benz

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Mercedes-Benz Motorsports & Racing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in