LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2017
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
SD Card Size and format Burmester 3D

Yesterday I acquired a 2018 Mercedes-Benz GTA roadster with the upgraded Burmester stereo system. It sounds fantastic, and I'm glad I spent the extra $6000 to get it in the car, which is by the way and unbelievable car.
Could not find a forum for that so Im posting here

My issue is that I have 16,000 MP3s and would like to utilize a 128 GB SD card to access those MP3s in the sound system.

In prior years, I was unable to do this because of the size of the SD card, however, my other car, a 2017 Mercedes-Benz GLE Coupe, which has a sound system from Harman Kardon, works fine with the 128 GB SD card and all the MP3s even in different folders and subfolders.

I have tried formatting the card for the Burmester in both fat32 and exfat different folders, but no success, this system, although it can recognize the card and the name of the card, it cannot see the files on it.

Is there any way you could help or guide me to a person that can tell me if the capacity to read this size card exists, and what I could do to access those MP3s. It may sound silly but it is very important to me.

Thank you in advance for your kind cooperation and attention.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 11:50 AM
Undercover Moderator

Date registered: Mar 2007
Vehicle: 2002 SL BRABUS 5.8 Silver Arrow; 1992 SL BRABUS B11; 1996 S Class diplomat ride
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
GTA roadster.....??

I doubt you will get any help, if it a GTA roadster....

GTS most likely.....

Moved to GTS forum....

Horsepower: enough power to go from point A to point B
Torque: enough to get the car moving

0-60 mph: not in a rush
0-1/4 mile: about 5 minutes @ 2mph because no need to showoff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&

My favorite topic,

Last edited by SL BRABUS; 11-05-2017 at 11:53 AM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SL BRABUS View Post
GTA roadster.....??

I doubt you will get any help, if it a GTA roadster....

GTS most likely.....

Moved to GTS forum....

Thanks, It is called a GTA Roadster on the PO from the dealer
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20171027-WA0002.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	2304202  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 09:16 AM
Moderately subtle

Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 94 E500, 97 500SL
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Send a message via AIM to edfreeman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon1 View Post
Yesterday I acquired a 2018 Mercedes-Benz GTA roadster with the upgraded Burmester stereo system. It sounds fantastic, and I'm glad I spent the extra $6000 to get it in the car, which is by the way and unbelievable car.
Could not find a forum for that so Im posting here

My issue is that I have 16,000 MP3s and would like to utilize a 128 GB SD card to access those MP3s in the sound system.

In prior years, I was unable to do this because of the size of the SD card, however, my other car, a 2017 Mercedes-Benz GLE Coupe, which has a sound system from Harman Kardon, works fine with the 128 GB SD card and all the MP3s even in different folders and subfolders.

I have tried formatting the card for the Burmester in both fat32 and exfat different folders, but no success, this system, although it can recognize the card and the name of the card, it cannot see the files on it.

Is there any way you could help or guide me to a person that can tell me if the capacity to read this size card exists, and what I could do to access those MP3s. It may sound silly but it is very important to me.

Thank you in advance for your kind cooperation and attention.
I found the information on card formatting, capacity, allowable file types, etc, on page 137 of what should be your Command manual. Did you get one? I found it by Googling.

https://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/Digital...ter-COMAND.pdf

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 07:22 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by edfreeman View Post
I found the information on card formatting, capacity, allowable file types, etc, on page 137 of what should be your Command manual. Did you get one? I found it by Googling.

https://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/Digital...ter-COMAND.pdf
Thank you the truth is I did not have a manual for command included in my package. So this is indeed helpful. However, it states that apparently you can format the ST card in NTFS, ex-fat, or fat 32, but does not recommend any particular one. Nor does it reference a track limitation

I have been able to access about 14,000 tracks, however, and unable to see the last 2000 or so it goes to a "no music or video files" screen somewhere over 14,000. Unable to determine the exact number.

Apparently the head unit is different on the GTA roadster, then it is on the GLE Coupe.

Not sure what else I might try and do to get access to the last
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 09:11 AM
Moderately subtle

Lifetime Premium Member
The only limitation that I see is in the directory structure, no more than 8 levels. It does mention that a card with more than 64GB must be all music or video, etc. It has to scan the whole card to display the contents, and I expect that'd take a bit. I had a 128 GB memory stick in a Mini Cooper I owned, and when I first installed it, it took about 5 minutes to display all the music in the menu. Still 14000 songs at about 3.5 minutes per is 49000 minutes of music - aka - 800 hours. You'll probably be able to slug through that.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
The only limitation that I see is in the directory structure, no more than 8 levels. It does mention that a card with more than 64GB must be all music or video, etc. It has to scan the whole card to display the contents, and I expect that'd take a bit. I had a 128 GB memory stick in a Mini Cooper I owned, and when I first installed it, it took about 5 minutes to display all the music in the menu. Still 14000 songs at about 3.5 minutes per is 49000 minutes of music - aka - 800 hours. You'll probably be able to slug through that.
Do you mean 8 levels of the folder tree?

Fact is, both cars seem to read the file structure quite quickly barely takes 20 seconds

I'm sure I have more than 8 levels. The funny thing about it is my 2017 GLE Coupe has a head referenced by the Mercedes guy is a 5*1 and the GTA is referenced 5*2

You would think that the 2 is a newer version than the !. However

The Coupe head unit reads all 16,150 tracks with no problem but the roadster seems to have bumped up against this limitation at just over 14,000 tracks

Very curious
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 06:40 AM
Moderately subtle

Lifetime Premium Member
Yes, 8 levels in the tree from the root directory down to the "lowest" sub folder. It is quite odd one works and the other doesn't, sounds like a firmware issue. Wonder if there's an update.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 07:23 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Yes, 8 levels in the tree from the root directory down to the "lowest" sub folder. It is quite odd one works and the other doesn't, sounds like a firmware issue. Wonder if there's an update.

Yes, I don't think I go down below 8 levels on any folder group, and anyway it doesn't seem which folder group I put on their it just stops reading somewhere about 14,000.

I wonder if there is any way to check the firmware versions?

More importantly, is there a way to force a firmware upgrade?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 11:13 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jan 2019
Vehicle: 2018 AMG GTC
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Question you could answer for me about upgraded Burmester

I have what I presume is the same system.
If you have an incoming Bluetooth call can you turn up the volume to a very loud level like the music and hear it easily with top down and road noise.
Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz AMG Forums > Mercedes-AMG GT Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in