LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-21-2017, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Sep 2017
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Looking to buy GT, what to look for

Hello all. I have an opportunity to get a GT (which will likely be my last car). Before I pull the trigger (if the numbers work out), I would like to get some feedback from you all.

1. Looking at a low mileage GT, clean carfax but is there anything I should look for?
2. It is from an MB dealer so I am thinking I will not need a PPI (or should I?
3. The car is on the other side of the country so I may not have a chance to see it before I buy it. Thoughts on this?
4. What would you think is a fair price? It is not like many people are throwing around $100k on a car (which is this price). I think it is high since I see GTS' same price. I was thinking mid $80k's. Am I dreaming?
5. Any important options I should be aware of? This one does have the active suspension and exhaust which I think is cool. No vented seats though
6. I will use this as a daily driver. Anyone else doing the same?

Thanks all

Rippey

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-12-2017, 08:05 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2007
Vehicle: 1967 250SE, 2004 E500, 2005 C320, 2006 SL500
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Hello Rippey,
I see that you have been bombarded with advice and good wishes.
My story is that yesterday I tested the GTC and I still feel it. The history started this summer when I visited the GT assembly line in Sindelfingen and engine line in Affalterbach.
So I want one and being an active member on the MB forums I opened this subforum to ask for advice and I saw your (lonely) post. Kinda killed my enthusiasm. In order of price I have a C, an E and an SL and the participation on these forums are decreasing exponentially and this one proves it. Too bad. I will try to answer your questions even if I don't have one yet.
1. Don't know, it's too early maybe. Most of them are still in factory warranty.
2. You shouldn't.
3. If you are paying 100K you should be able to find $500 for a cheap round trip flight and a hotel night. It's an emotional purchase so it had to speak and connect to you.
4. Which GT is it? the coupes are $115k new so I think that 80K is realistic especially if it's prefacelift.
5. I am looking for the active suspension as well. I didn't hear (feel) any difference on the exhaust when I switched it on/off yesterday.
6. I will use it as a daily driver as well including winter.

Radu
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 02:04 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2003
Vehicle: Aegean Blue 2005 SL500, Steel Grey 2012 ML450
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, I too am interested in a preowned GT S that's being called a 2017. Question, what date of build has facelift ? What item code is the Active Suspension ? Does the panorama roof have a Magic Sky option.

Gafitanu, are you inferring that popularity of Mercedes in general is down, or just on these forums ?

thank you ! -Bob

Last edited by Gocargo; 12-19-2017 at 02:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 10:55 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2007
Vehicle: 1967 250SE, 2004 E500, 2005 C320, 2006 SL500
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
To answer Gocargo's question in order (not too late I hope).
I was on the assembly line in Sindelfingen at the end of June and they were making the facelift ones. I would guess that a build date of June or later would have the facelift. They may be actually called MY2018 knowing that they start selling the next year's model in the summer. I found that used facelift GT's where only maybe 10K cheaper than a new one. The panamericana grille was what made me do it and considering that I am paying 100k I might as well cough another 15K to make it as I wish rather than accept what I find used. Combine that with european delivery, minus delivery charge, 2 free nights in Stuttgart, 1 week visiting Switzerland with the wife in a brand new GT and I guess life looks good.
The "AMG Ride Control Sport Suspension with 3-stage adjustment" option 479 only for the GT, is standard for the others. The "AMG Dynamic Plus" P71 package is not available on the GT, $2400 for the GT S and standard for GT C/R.
I actually think that the popularity of the MB grew a lot. Within the last 6 years they introduced a half dozen crossover/utility/girlie SUV's in order to atract the CRV/RAV4 demographic offering only cheaper inline 4 engines.
I am mostly referring to the demographic on these subforums. As I mentioned I have a C, an E and an SL and I am active on all of the subforums. While the C and E subforums are populated with doityourselfers like me and you will find the most ingenious ways to repair them without tools and no money, when I suggested on the SL subforum that you can buy the starting battery from Walmart for $40 (instead of $300 from dealer) I was considered the antichrist.
I made a deposit for a GT but I am not having big hopes on DIY from the GT subforum. On a similar suspension question that I posted on the GT subforum I got no reply.

Radu
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz AMG Forums > Mercedes-AMG GT Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in