LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 04:53 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2018
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Accident Advice

Would like to request feedback and encouragement on a situation regarding a accident Car is a 99 E300 with a flawless body. The bumpers have scars but the body was great. Visiting my sister, one of her friends husband's backs into the passenger door and leaves a dent larger than a soccer/basketball just aft of the door hinge. Estimate for the work starts at $3500 minimum from a local body shop. The people who hit the car would like to keep it a private deal and not report it for insurance. They may change that idea when I get a compete estimate. The car cost $3000 and I put $3000 into repairs. I'm not sure what I should do at this point. Does the insurance company have an obligation to restore the car if the value is less than the repair? I could see the repair being in the $4,000 range. Is it crazy to think I could buy a used door and do the repair myself with compensation from the people who hit the car? If I go the self repair what should I base the compensation on? If the compensation request is too high I think insurance will then be involved. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 05:37 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2009
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Insurance will total the car.... But you can buy it back from them as salvage. Been there done that, twice actually.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 06:48 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 1999 E430; 2005 ML500
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
My advice assumes having friendly relations with your sister and some understanding for her friends is also important to you. You would:
- Get more than one estimate for repair, telling the shops up front that insurance isn’t paying and you’re looking for a low cost option. This would either be door replacement or dent repair, with painting.
- Take the quote you’re happy with to the friend and get a written agreement that he will pay for it, up to a maximum amount for any overruns

I would only go through insurance if the guy balks at paying, and/or you were looking`for an excuse to get rid of the car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 09:25 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1977 Post(s)
I agree that dealing with friends will make for a difficult decision, but money is money.
On other hand, can you post a picture? I know at least in California "paintless dent removal" is very popular business and even they are not cheap, definitely less than above quotes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 09:50 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2012
Vehicle: 68 250S, 91 300se, 98 SL500, 450SEL 6.9, 14 CLS550 Past MB's; 300SD, 300E, 300TE, 190E, ML420
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 829 Post(s)
Garage
Since this involve family if you are capable then buy a new/used door and get it repainted. Send the bill for $1000 to the guy that hit it.

Your insurance will total the car.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2018
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the suggestions. Sorry for not updating. My sister's friend comes over with a check for $3,000. It solved the problem for me in that I thanked her and said we were good. At this point I'm going to look for a used door and have it painted. I only used the car a few days a week so there is no rush on my side. It's looking more like a NY taxi than I like. Thanks again for all your help. You would think at age 67 these situations would not become simple.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 02:42 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2014
Vehicle: 2008 AMG CLK63 Conv., 2012 R350 4-Matic, Wife's 2015 C300 sedan
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2524 Post(s)
^ Used door repainted is the way to go.

In the old days you could have a door "re-skinned", that is the outer sheet metal replaced without replacing the whole door too.

Trouble is on a 20+ year old car the insurance is likely to total it if a light bulb blows. 😞

"Semper In excretio, solum profundum variat" - unknown
They called me mad, and I called them mad, and damn them, they outvoted me" - Nathaniel Lee
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 04:22 AM
Purple Moderator

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1510 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I had to replace a door and luckily found it in the same color just 90 miles away.

It took 90 minutes to swap it over to my car and it only cost $300 for the used
door with the exact options and interior color door cards still on the donor door.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in