w202 AMG C43 No Crank and No Start (intermittent) no communication with any modules - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Sep 2014
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
w202 AMG C43 No Crank and No Start (intermittent) no communication with any modules

I have searched thoroughly for any posting that relates to my issue. I have a 98 w202 chassis amg c43 that left me stranded recently. I drove to a store, got out and went in and when i returned to the car it would not start. Key is not stuck and will rotate though all positions. I actuated the key through all positions for over 30 minutes while waiting a tow truck arrival. I had the vehicle towed to my shop and ironically... The car cranked up as soon as i put the key in and rotated it while removing the car from the tow truck. I shut it off and tried again... No luck... would not even turn over. The following morning, it started right up but would not turnover after being turned off. I checked it every morning after that for 6 days and on the 6th morning it started up. ( no check engine light and no stored codes when it will crank and run ) I initially believed the starter was failing as sometimes they can be sensitive to heat or vibration when on the way out, but after testing the starter i found that not to be true. As long as power is put to the starter it will engage and spin every single time. Tested the battery and it tested good but Cold Cranking Amps were low at 82% so i replaced it with a new one 800cca rated and it tested out at 103%. I do not have Star software at my shop as i am a small independent facility that mainly services older pre-2004 mercedes and BMW automobiles. I use a snap-on solus scanner and i also have a launch brand scanner and neither of these tools will link with the vehicle when it chooses to not crank/run. There is power to the obd2 port but after a full vehicle scan both scanners find every individual module to be "not present"... If this vehicle belonged to a customer i would recommend that it be taken to the dealer. As it is my personal vehicle i would rather work my way through it over time and gain a better understanding of this gremlin along the way. I hate to assume anything but choose to assume that this is a can-bus issue as seemingly every module gets knocked off of the network when the no crank no start issue is present. side notes. I have checked every fuse box for traces of moisture or wiring damage from critters like mice or squirrels. All lights work, turn indicators, steering wheel is not locked, and shifter moves freely through the shift gate. Check engine light illuminates when key is in the run position. vehicle is factory equipped with a cell phone but it is a handheld pocket cellphone stored in its cradle under the armrest. Also...the only aftermarket accessories that i know of on the vehicle is a satalite radio unit wired into the factory radio head-unit. I hope that some expert out there can provide me with some direction and insight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 05:57 PM
Moderately subtle

Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 94 E500, 97 500SL
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
With a new battery, I'd be zooming in on the starter solenoid. Does that car have an immobilizer/alarm that would prevent starting?

I don't own one, btw, too new for me. There is a forum specific to your model here:

https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w202-c36-amg-c43-amg/

And since your problem may not be specific to AMG, feel free to post up in the W202 regular forum, probably more folks there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz AMG Forums > General AMG

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in