post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 05:22 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Oct 2015
Vehicle: SLK 350 '07, ML63, '10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
M156 engine vibration on idle

Hi everyone! The car is 2010 ML63, posting here as the issue seems to be engine-related. TLDR at the bottom. The vehicle is at 100k miles
So, when I bought a vehicle 15 months ago, it had pretty noticeable engine shake on idle. I was advised that the engine mounts needed replacement. I've changed them, and it improved the shake a lot - but it's still there (especially on the steering wheel). And it seems to slowly grow back with each month. Changing plugs didn't help.
The vibration is intermittent - sometimes it's there, sometimes it's not, I wasn't able to find any logic here.
Raising the rpms above ~1k (in neutral) almost eliminates the vibration.
Indys don't know what the issue is - the only guess is that something may be wrong with the fuel pump - or not. No errors. The officials tell me to chill. Right now I'm fine with a slight shake - but I fear the issue is going to get worse with time. Could anyone give me an idea of what to look into? Could faulty MAFs cause this and is it possible to verify without replacing them?
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 01:30 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2014
Vehicle: 2008 AMG CLK63 Conv., 2012 R350 4-Matic, Wife's 2015 C300 sedan
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Did you have the transmission mount(s) done at the same time?

Can you hear the harmonic balancer making noise? (Its on the end of the crankshaft and drives the belt).

Have you looked under the hood and made sure everything is screwed on right?

My CLK63 engine mounts were worn out at 100k miles. I was told it's a common issue on the big V-8s, which is understandable if you think about it - all that torque has to exert its "equal and opposite reaction" somehow. I was about to get them replaced - and had already bought them - right before the engine got a big gulp of H2O.

"Semper In excretio, solum profundum variat" - unknown
They called me mad, and I called them mad, and damn them, they outvoted me" - Nathaniel Lee

Last edited by IWantedaJag; 01-12-2019 at 01:33 PM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the reply - didn't get the notification so just saw it. And sorry about your CLK
Yes, all 3 mounts were replaced at the same time. And everything seems to be screwed fine - otherwise the vibration would not go away at higher rpm's I suppose. In fact, that's precisely what bothers me - if the engine is silky smooth at 2k, then it shouldn't shake at 500rpm either.
Fuel pump could, in theory, cause this - but checking this requires a lot of work unfortunately, so I'm trying to eliminate other possibilities first.
Harmonic balancer is something I didn't look into yet. I'm not sure I can tell by the sound - I'll ask my indy to check it on the next oil change, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 09:47 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2014
Vehicle: 2008 AMG CLK63 Conv., 2012 R350 4-Matic, Wife's 2015 C300 sedan
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Could it just be you've got the idle speed set a bit low?

A blocked injector or a misfiring plug could cause a bit of low RPM vibration too.

When my CLK63 fuel pumps went bad it showed up on the iCarSoft MB-II. Happened three or four years ago, so sorry can't remember the codes I saw but a code scan couldn't hurt.

Oh, and that big 6 point 2 V-8 isn't going to be as legendary balance a sixpence on the rocker box cover silky smooth as a Jag V-12 come what may.

"Semper In excretio, solum profundum variat" - unknown
They called me mad, and I called them mad, and damn them, they outvoted me" - Nathaniel Lee

Last edited by IWantedaJag; 01-16-2019 at 09:51 AM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 12:55 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Mar 2019
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
have you got the solution? my car's engine is also vibrating i was on the way so i didnt took a risk and i didnt drove a car then i had to take 24-hour towing queens ny service will check it out after few days.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 01:05 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: 2000 ML55 sold😢 2013 ML500,😁 2015 C250 estate wagon, 1927 Dodge 4 sedan, 1929 Dodge
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Check your cam shaft lobes and buckets. These engines are renowned for bad camshafts. They wear through the buckets and bend valves. Next oil change cut your filter up and spread it out and check for any metal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by willakwin View Post
have you got the solution? my car's engine is also vibrating i was on the way so i didnt took a risk and i didnt drove a car then i had to take 24-hour towing queens ny service will check it out after few days.
No, I haven't - the vibration got much better in the last few weeks, barely noticeable by now. The harmonic balancer is still the most likely explanation, I'll check it at the next service (I guess the changes in temperature/humidity is what causes intermittent behavior)

Did your vibration start spontaneously? If so, you should probably get the car checked asap. There are a lot of possible reasons for vibration, but most of them manifest themselves gradually. Sudden vibration may be caused by faulty plugs/ignition and while that can be (relatively) easily fixed, it shouldn't be postponed.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 05:52 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2008
Don't forget that there is an internal part of the inlet manifold that breaks down and causes an irratic idle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz AMG Forums > General AMG

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in