LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Feb 2008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2003 G500 - Please help with these electrical problems

I have a 2003 G500 that is beautiful and runs amazingly...except for these electrical problems. I have had it to the dealer and independent shops but nobody seems to be willing to spend the necessary time to track down the cause of this problem. Hoping someone here can help.

When I park the car, I can lock the doors and arm the alarm and everything seems fine. Occasionally, when I return to the car (if I haven't locked the doors), as soon as I open the door I get a beeping noise and the display reads "TC in Neutral." In these instances, I can start the car and everything seems normal.

If I lock the car and leave it for a while (overnight), when I return the remote does not work to unlock and disarm. I have to use the key. I will also get the beeping and the "TC in Neutral.".

If I leave the car for more than a few days, it will not start. There appears to be a slow drain on the battery.

I'm assuming these things are all related? Is the Transfer Case alarm causing the slow drain? Is there a way to bypass this system entirely? I have already replaced the rear SAM and spent a ton of money trying to diagnose and repair this problem with no luck.

Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 09:21 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2017
Vehicle: 2002 G 500
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
2003 G500 - Please help with these electrical problems

Hey

So there are a lot of posts and info out there on the very common tc in neutral issue.

If yours is still original youíll probably need to buy a new one and replace assuming youíve tried all the recommended fixes.

Regarding second issue, sounds like your battery is dead. How old? Can you check it somewhere? Leave in charger if youíre going to be away for more than a day without using??

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Feb 2008
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Gee View Post
Hey

So there are a lot of posts and info out there on the very common tc in neutral issue.

If yours is still original youíll probably need to buy a new one and replace assuming youíve tried all the recommended fixes.

Regarding second issue, sounds like your battery is dead. How old? Can you check it somewhere? Leave in charger if youíre going to be away for more than a day without using??

Good luck

Thanks for responding. I'll take a look at the old TC posts. I guess my question is whether the TC issue could be causing a drain on the battery. The battery is only about 6 months old, and the car can sit for days without a problem as long as it's during a period of time when I'm not getting that TC warning and the alarm/remote unlock is working.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 09:37 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2017
Vehicle: 2002 G 500
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Doubt itís connected because the TC problem isnít electrical unless itís is...
For every usual thereís some crazy rare case. I pray for usual problems...

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 06:17 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Nov 2002
Vehicle: 2003 G500, 2000 SL500, 1995 E320 Cabriolet, 1980 TR8
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Assume they independent and eliminate one problem at a time. Start with the TC neutral issue since that is a well known issue. On a 2003 both the TC shift motor and the TC controller can be suspect - MB updated the controller over the years. However the most common point of failure seems to be the TC motor (the plastic gears strip and don't hold the TC in gear) so I would start there. If that doesn't resolve the TC issue, you may have to replace the controller. As previously posted, read the many other threads on the TC neutral issue for more background. Once the TC issue is resolved you can troubleshoot the other issues if they still exist.

Floobydust: a contemporary term derived from the archaic Latin miscellaneous, whose disputed history probably springs from Greek origins (influenced, of course by Egyptian linguists) - meaning here "a mixed bag." - National Semiconductor Audio Handbook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > G-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in