post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 04:51 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2017
Vehicle: G63, G63, G65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
G63 Ring and Pinion swap?

Anyone know where you can buy new ring and pinions for a 2013 G63 with a different than stock ratio? I found one place, but the set is nearly $2,000 (front and rear) for just the R&P without bearings, seals, etc. I realize that set has to come from Germany, but I'm used to paying $800-$900 for F/R R&P for domestic vehicles. I'm planning on putting 35" tires on my G63 and wanted to regear it closer to stock. I need approximately a 4.86 ratio. I think that usually is listed as 34:7 from Germany. If anyone has a source let me know. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 07:10 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Jan 2004
Vehicle: Sold .....1987 U1250 Unimog
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to imjustdave
I have 33 on a g500.. Seems to go pretty good not sure you need a gear change but I understand why you want to. Cost wise you just have to shop around.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

David..

2004 G500

Sold ....
87 U1250VL Unimog
Lots of VW cars
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 10:09 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 96 G300DT
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
I've driven 35's on a G500 and it was just fine. No need to change R&P. It will be very expensive to do correctly. Also, if you ever plan on selling this G, you will likely reduce resale value.

...Alan
63 230SL
96 G300DT
98 E300DT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Our last G55 had the gears done to accommodate 35s and it gets the power band back in the right place and eases the strain on the drivetrain considerably. It's not that the G63 couldn't push the 35s, but it would be easier on the trans and most everything else if the gears were swapped. The place I got them from for the G55 sold them for $1500 back in 2005 when they were done, but now they are $2,000. Just thought I would see if anyone knew where to find them cheaper. Changing the gear ratio reduces the value if people want to return it to stock, but I keep the old R&P anyway in case someone wanted to go back to stock.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
After looking into things a bit more, it looks like the G63 has a higher (numerically lower) gear ratio in it from factory than the G55. The G63 has a 4.11 ratio, while the G55 had a 4.375 ratio. When I swapped the gears on the G55 we went with a 4.86 ratio to compensate for the 35" tires. Since the G63 has a higher gear in stock form, I'm thinking maybe I just need a 4.56 gear ratio. 4.56 is a pretty common ratio to run with 35" tires, so I feel a little more confident running that than the 4.86 so I'm not spinning way too many RPM at highway speed. Anyone have thoughts/suggestions on that?

Also, as a side note, the guy at fourbyfourclub.com told me yesterday there is no way to run 35" tires on a G63 since the ABS sensors at each corner communicate with the transfer case control module, and the slower revolutions from the 35" tire throws it all off. He said it will go into limp mode from the confusion of the slower tire revolution at a given RPM. Anyone else hear of this? The guys at Wheels Boutique in Miami say they have done a dozen or so G63s with 35s and have not had any issues of that happening.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-04-2017, 05:49 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Got the lift and 35" tires on it yesterday. Initially got a ESP error, but that seemed to be because the steering wheel was at an angle on the test drive while the wheels pointed straight forward. My mechanic re-clocked the arm on the steering box and centered the wheel, and now the ESP fault has gone away. There is plenty of power off the line with the stock gears, but it lacks the umpf it had from 15-60mph. I think I will probably go with the 4.86 gear ratio after all since the G63 has a 7 speed transmission, and it's not like my wife needs to drive 150mph on 35" mud tires. I don't think the engine RPM is going to be an issue even at 85-90mph with the 7 speed transmission.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 08:10 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Nov 2002
Vehicle: 2003 G500, 2000 SL500, 1995 E320 Cabriolet, 1980 TR8
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
You may find that your ESP problem returns in the future. With bigger tires, the apparent vehicle speed is slower than the actual speed which plays havoc with the yaw/acceleration sensor in the ESP system. There are many threads on other forums (P3) about this issue. If you change the R & P ratio, the TC controller will need to be re-programed for the new ratio or you will be in limp home mode. The ABS sensors and the transmission output speed sensor talk to the TC controller effectively allowing it to "test" the axle ratio and throw a fault if things don't match up with the stored values. I know that reprogramming can be done on older Gs, but I'm not sure about a new G63.

Floobydust: a contemporary term derived from the archaic Latin miscellaneous, whose disputed history probably springs from Greek origins (influenced, of course by Egyptian linguists) - meaning here "a mixed bag." - National Semiconductor Audio Handbook
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-10-2017, 04:27 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the info. I spoke with another guy a couple of weeks ago who was adamant that you can't put 35" tires on without running into the limp home mode you mentioned. He said the mismatch of tire speed to TC speed would trigger the fault much like you mentioned with changing the R&P. The logic made some sense. Luckily, that hasn't happened yet, but we have only put about 100 miles on it so far.

Just spit-balling a little bit with the line of reasoning you used for needing to reprogram the TC Controller:

If you swap the R&P for a lower gear (higher numerically), but you use a larger diameter tire, aren't you pretty much balancing out the speed differential between what the ABS sensors are seeing versus what the TC Controller is seeing? The general thought is that any given speed, your RPM will be roughly the same with a 4.11 gear and 31" tire versus a 4.86 gear and 35" tire. I'm not saying your info is incorrect, I'm just trying to think through some of the different aspects of it. I admit to knowing nothing about the communication between the ABS sensors and the TC controller, so it is entirely possible you are correct that the TC controller needs to be programmed to account for the gears.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 04:41 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
So far it has been fine without swapping the gears, but it is definitely slower off the line than it used to be. Once the turbos light it takes off with good force, but getting going from a stop is noticeably more sluggish. I think I'll probably just do the 4.86 gears to help with that off the line power.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3998.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	2309970  
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 01:02 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2016
Vehicle: CLS63 and G63
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheButche View Post
So far it has been fine without swapping the gears, but it is definitely slower off the line than it used to be. Once the turbos light it takes off with good force, but getting going from a stop is noticeably more sluggish. I think I'll probably just do the 4.86 gears to help with that off the line power.
Looks good!! What lift set up do you have on it? As soon as my G63 gets back from service we are lifting it. Have all the suspension parts and wheels/tires..Im curious about what a few people mention on the ABS and TC. From the ones I know that have been lifted has had no problems yet. I am really curious about changing out the gearing like you mentioned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > G-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in