BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2003
Vehicle: '78 230G w/OM617a-'79 280E- '80 280GE- '00 G500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Dual T-case/military 5-speed

Hello.
I would like to know if anybody has any input on a Dual t-case setup in a 460 G, would it be possible? Has this ever been done? can the gear reduction part of a VG80 be adapted to annother VG80 (Toyota style)?
Are there any sources in the USA for the 711.16 gear box (5 speed with very low 1st gear)? do any of the Dodge or Freightliner sprinter vans come with this box?

Thank you all for your input.
Chris.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-06-2003, 02:50 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: '82 300GD TD (Sold), '02 G500, '09 B200
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Dual T-case/military 5-speed

Quote:
Hello.
I would like to know if anybody has any input on a Dual t-case setup in a 460 G, would it be possible? Has this ever been done? can the gear reduction part of a VG80 be adapted to annother VG80 (Toyota style)?
Are there any sources in the USA for the 711.16 gear box (5 speed with very low 1st gear)? do any of the Dodge or Freightliner sprinter vans come with this box?

Thank you all for your input.
Chris.
I have been wondering this for a long time as well. This is one of the things I was thinking when I posted my overdrive question. I feel something could be adapted to work, I am just not exactly sure where to start.

Steve

1982 300GD Turbodiesel
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-06-2003, 03:36 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2002
Vehicle: 1980 LWB 280GE
Too tricky

That VG80 box is a big pig. Stuffing 2 of them under there would make shaft routing difficult. If somebody wanted me to build them one maintaining it as "stockG" as possible, I can tell you how I'd go after it. (that's assuming you can't find the gears you want in an existing tranny/t-box- axle combo)

I'd move the VG080 back a little and set up linkage for it. Then, in the space where the driveshaft between the tranny and T-box used to be, I'd put a planetary transmission. This would be the strongest, most compact way to get a 2-speed additional selection in the mix.

Of course, even with this scenario, you run the risk of blowing the VG080 because you'll now be feeding it double the torque when you shift the upstream box to low range. Not an issue if the upstream box is an overdrive, only if it's a reducer.

The planetary transmission would be a custom design, but you might be able to scrounge most of it from a unit like the "Roverdrive".
http://www.roverdrives.com/

Just some thoughts.

-Dave G.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-06-2003, 08:32 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2002
Vehicle: 1984 280GE Cabrio
What about a KluneV? They were making ...

one for the Pinz. The set up woulb be similar.
[:)]
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-07-2003, 02:50 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2002
HIGH AND LOW

OVERdrive? -Get propper tires!

LOWERdrive...
I find top gear (1/1) on my 1/4.9 final ratio, gutless 300GD, to be far to low on original tires.
On 35" tires it is ok on higway and with a turbo it will be "quite nice" (for a gutless 617) on 38" for highway drive.

The real concern is ofcause the downgearing.
The ultralightweight Suzuki LJ is built the same way as G with a separate TC and a simmilary long intermediate drive shaft. The Suzukis are exelent for snowdriving but downgearing the small high rev engines was a problem when no aftermarket parts were availible. One solution was to replace the intermediate driveshaft with a short 4-speed Volvo gearbox that under normal drive is used in 4th.(1/1)
and when needed 1st. is 1/4. (The really bizare thing is that gearbox has a revers as well!.)
You might be wandering about wibrations and rattling? -yes it surely did.

For my use I find the MB309 gearbox with 1st ratio of 1/6,2 solve all my gearing needs. It climbs steeper in HIGH range on 35" than it did before with 230E engine, original Getrag gearbox and original tires in LOW RANGE.

For you in N-America I would recomend you to get into some serious work to find that gearbox in Europe rather than getting into some complex setup of adding an extra low range unless you realy need something EXTREMELY low.
However, as I have previously pointed out, I like the idea of two low range gears when that is commercially availible like in LR and Hilux.

Dave hase made a good point about possible higher torque into the original TC.
This is possible but those extra low gears reduce speed and multiply torque and usually the xtra low range is only used on engine revs from idle to 2000.
More power is not needed and more revs only cause more noise.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > G-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in