post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-08-2003, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: '82 300GD TD (Sold), '02 G500, '09 B200
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Removal of aux. fuel tank

I have noticed that the top of my right (pass.) aux tank is leaking on top. How do you remove it? I see two bolts holding it on at the fender side, but what holds it on at the back around the filler hole?

Please help.
Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-09-2003, 08:09 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2002
Vehicle: 1980 LWB 280GE
Two more bolts

There are two bolts just ahead of the rear bulkhead, on the top of the wheel well. You need to remove four bolts, plus the rubber sleeve to the main tank, and then maybe some little vent lines.

If you have aux tanks on both right and left, then you also need to disconnect the rubber cross-over vent tube from the barb on the top of the aux tank where it protudes into the rear body. In order to do this you need to pull the side trim piece above the wheel well, or maybe the corner one, I don't remember. There should be some pix of relative positions of things in teh Aux Fuel Tank install article on CGW.

-Dave G.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-09-2003, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: '82 300GD TD (Sold), '02 G500, '09 B200
(Thread Starter)
Re: Two more bolts

Quote:

There are two bolts just ahead of the rear bulkhead, on the top of the wheel well. You need to remove four bolts, plus the rubber sleeve to the main tank, and then maybe some little vent lines.

If you have aux tanks on both right and left, then you also need to disconnect the rubber cross-over vent tube from the barb on the top of the aux tank where it protudes into the rear body. In order to do this you need to pull the side trim piece above the wheel well, or maybe the corner one, I don't remember. There should be some pix of relative positions of things in teh Aux Fuel Tank install article on CGW.

-Dave G.
Thanks Dave,

I figured there must be more bolts, I just couldn't see them up there. Do you need to remove any interior panels to access the two bolts near the rear bulkhead?

thanks again,
Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-10-2003, 08:35 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2002
Vehicle: 1980 LWB 280GE
Re: Re: Two more bolts

Quote:
...Do you need to remove any interior panels to access the two bolts near the rear bulkhead?...
I don't think so. I think you can get at them (on top of wheel well) without taking the rear trim pannel off. But this will be somewhat vehicle dependent as it WILL be very close and depend on how far the rear pannel might wrap down onto the top surface of teh wheel well, if at all. The bolts will be under the rubber matting that's glued to the top of the wheel well. You MIGHT have to pull that rear trim pannel to get at the edge of teh matting to peel it back.

-Dave G.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > G-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in