Dreaming of high gears........now im wishing for any gears!!!! - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-12-2002, 07:04 PM
peter

Mentioned: Post(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Dreaming of high gears........now im wishing for any gears!!!!

I have suffered from instant unexpected clutch failure,<br> just two blocks from home after delivering my newly acquired G 300 from 300 plus miles away..<br> <br> Got af the highway,G was hard shifting(1st and second)and that was it ,NO CLUTCH!!<br> <br> drove the rest of the way in 2nd gear.<br> <br> There was no fluid loss but fluid was cloudy<br> and blackish<br> <br> bled the system,thinking maybe fluid had boiled(had a range rover that did this)<br> <br> no air in lines<br> <br> I presume it is a bad cylinder,slave or master probably the master.<br> <br> anyway long story I know, the point im getting at is who has rebuild kits for these parts.<br> <br> hoping I may draw from your experience as to best source.<br> or any other ideas as to problem?similar experience?<br> <br> Thanks again,<br> peter<br> <br>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-13-2002, 03:33 AM
DUTCH

Which transmission?

I may have the rebuild kits. Click on my name in the header and send me your VIN privately.<br> <br> I'm starting to clear my spare parts inventory for the old one.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-13-2002, 03:40 AM
DUTCH

You Should Be Able To Shift Without The Clutch

The synchronizers in the transmission allowed me to drive from Canyon de Chelly in northern Arizona al the way to Europa in NE New Mexico (a trip of 300+ miles in a wide variety of driving conditions) without the clutch on my 280GE several years ago.<br> <br> Feather the engine at upshifts while pushing the gear shift in the direction you want to go. It'll go into gear. The same works with downshifts, too. Starting from a dead stop requires shutting off the engine, putting it in 1st gear and using the starter to get it restarted and moving.<br> <br> Pain in the neck, but it will get you to the repair shop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-13-2002, 11:30 AM
peter

Re: Which transmission?

Dutch,<br> the trans is the four speed.<br> and you are right,It wuold shift at the right RPM<br> without a clutch,But it felt really awful like I was cramming it into gear<br> <br> thanks dutch, would love to know were to find the rebuild kits<br> <br> peter
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-13-2002, 03:40 PM
mserpe

Re: Lost my clutch this weekend! Drove home, 200 miles

Yup, <br> just happened Friday night offroad, master cyl went for the clutch. Drove back without.<br> <br> be careful! but you can do it. I didn't grind once.<br> <br> Just be sure to get it into Neutral BEFORE coming to a stop.<br> <br> -ms
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-14-2002, 03:22 AM
DUTCH

Re: Which transmission?

Peter,<br> <br> Tried to respond to your private e-mail, but it bounced. You got reasonable pricing on the parts you mentioned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > G-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in