LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-31-2005, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2002
Vehicle: 1980 LWB 280GE
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Transfer case fun! (maybe a check for Harald)

Oops...hit the enter key too early so the whole darned post is an "edit"![:0]

Finally getting 'round to reassembling my spare transfer case today and discovering more neat stuff.

It seems the older cases used a crush sleeve to squeeze the inner sleeve of the oil pump on the output shaft. They also used an O-ring to seal part of the pump to the surface it mates against.

The newer t-cases instead use shimming to a defined thickness as the method to grip the oil pump inner sleeve and no o-ring to seal the outer portion of the pump.

I was using a photocopied version of the transfer case manual to accomplish the re-assembly and I was really confused by the reference to the O-ring, since I hadn't found any O-ring in the disassembly. Plus, I had these little shims I knew were for the oil pump, but the manual made no reference to those!

Having been down a similar road figuring out they used two kinds of securing nuts for the flanges, I guessed that a revision had been made to the t-case after the manual I was using was published. A little tickling of the EPC using my VIN and Dai's much later VIN confirmed for me that the crush sleeve and o-ring were used in my old style (long ago grenaded) transfer case, and shims were not applicable, while Dai's VIN (more applicable to the late style case that is my spare) used the shims and n/a'd the crush sleeve and o-ring.

I was out of luck for how to set up the oil pump shims though, since the pages I was using said nothing at all about them. Luckilly, the manual set that Erwin gave me has the assembly procedures for the new style case and tells just how to time in the right shim thickness. This is fortuitous, but also a little funny, since Erwin bought the manuals for MY g (when it was his) so the manual he got for the T-case wouldn't have helped with the case that was actually in the truck he had.[:o)]

So Harald, if you don't already have the manual pages for both early and late style transfer cases in your CDs, let me know and I'll send you whatever you need to make the stack complete.

Just now the main housing casting is happily warming in the oven in prep for bearing install. Should be up to about 200F any minute now. I'd better get back to work!

-Dave G.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-31-2005, 04:36 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 85 300GD LWB
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Greg S.
RE: Transfer case fun!

Hmmmm, have you lost it Dave??? There doesn't appear to be a message attached? whats up??[:p]

EDIT:

LMAO!! I see you found what you were going to say
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > G-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in