post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-01-2004, 04:53 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 1984 280GE LWB
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I HATE MY G- PLEASE HELP!!

Right now, I hate this [email protected]#kin' vehicle!!! After replacing the emergency brake cable two weekends ago, this past Saturday I installed a new clutch master to rectify a leaking seal. Literally not more than twenty minutes after the final test drive, the heater blower died. While driving the fan just stopped and wouldn't work at any of the three dial positions. Not long after it stopped there was this acrid smell coming from the vicinity of the dashboard. When I got home I did some diagnostics. First I reached into the heater plenum and checked the fan to see if it was seized. I found I could spin the fan. Next I pulled the fuse (25A), put a voltage meter on the contacts and put in a new fuse. From all of this, especially my fan not being seized, the only thing I can reason is that I may not have to undertake the dreaded Blower Motor Replacement. I do not, however, have a handle on where to focus my efforts to find the actual problem. My questions are: 1) Does the lack of a seized fan in and of itself mean that the problem is not the blower motor? 2) If its an electrical problem, will I still have to pull out much of the dash to troubleshoot? 3) What further diagnostics can I do to isolate the problem? Any thoughts?

The weight twenty-year old deteriorating parts is getting to be too much; if its not one-thing its another with this vehicle. Before I bought my G, someone tried to warn me about purchasing an old vehicle by saying: ". . .granted it's a vintage Benz, but cars that old will nickel and dime you to death." He was right; since day one I haven't had any major problems, but a constant succession of small things- $75 this week, $450 next month, and $275 the next. Right about now that ‘98 Land Cruiser is looking very desirable.

Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-01-2004, 05:19 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 1981 SWB 300GD
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
RE: I HATE MY G- PLEASE HELP!!

Hi

I totally understand your anger.[:(] I have a 1981 300 GD SWB. It seems to act like a timebomb with repairs[}:)] But to Your problems first. I have stripped a rusted up GD and dissasembled the heater with simmilar problems like Yours, and found that there are a kind of spring coil that seems to control the speeds on the heatermotor. It is located inside the heater next to the motor on a small printcard. It was rusted trough and caused the missing link[:)] Please see clubgwagen.com tec pages for tips to dissasemble the heater. It`s a pain[xx(] But that was just my idea of what it could be...

Good luck

Peter
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-01-2004, 05:20 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 2000 G500 NMLE
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
RE: I HATE MY G- PLEASE HELP!!

Does the fan run after replacing the fuse? Those fuses can smell pretty bad when they blow.

Check the fan switch for power and a good ground. Do you have power on all positions?

Administrator - G-Class Forum - w w w . P o i n t e d t h r e e . c o m

1973 280SE4.5 (Sold)
1984 LWB 280GE (Sold)
2000 G500 NMLE ("DEEP THROAT")
2007 ML320 CDI (Sold)
2010 Porsche Cayenne S Transsyberia (Sold)
2010 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI (Sold)
2014 ML350 BTC (Sold)
2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-01-2004, 06:15 AM
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: 1985 280GE LWB A/T
Start w/ Blower Switch or Resistor Pack

I believe all of us can relate to your feelings. Here are a couple places to start;

1. Blower Switch – First determine if power is getting to the blower switch. It is fairly simple to pull out. There is a good chance with age, the incoming power lead is corroded or burned up. This is also the place you can see if power is getting to the switch. You can also check the switch to see if it is not burned out with a tester.

2. Resistor Pack – Inconveniently, inside the fan blower box, is a Resistor Pack. It is basically coiled copper wire around an oblique ceramic cylinder (stone age electronics). The positive power lead of the fan is directly connected to the Resistor Pack. You will need to cut into the fan blower box to access it and or replace it. I think the part is around 75 dollars from Europa and they can give you instructions of where to cut into the box. Although replacing it is a pain in the [email protected]#, it is much better then fan blower box removal and replacement.

Let us know…

Regards;
Mark Goldberg
1985 280GE LWB A/T

Mark Goldberg
1985 280GE LWB A/T Black
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-01-2004, 07:00 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2002
Vehicle: 1980 LWB 280GE
Good advice from all

I agree it's likely the resistor pack. As far as "stone age electronics"...it's not electronic, it's electrical, and you'll find the same technology in most brand new cars. But that's neither here nor there.

The first order of business is to verify that power is getting all the way to the heater box on all fan speed switch positions. Can you see the back of the switch under the dash? If so, you should be able to follow those wires from the switch to where they go through the fan plenum wall. If the wires are in good shape and not burned, use a sharp pin probe to pierce the insulation and see if you get power on one wire for each fan switch position. If you have power there, the problem is downstream in the resistor pack, wiring, or motor and will require disassembly of the plenum. If not, look upstream to the switch (by verifying power supply to IT) or if that comes up empty, to wiring further upstream to the fuse box.

If it's the resistor pack, you can choose to pay the $ for the right MB part that will bolt right in, or you can do a little work at the local auto parts supply or junk yard. Find an resistor pack with the right sized and number of pins, and look for similar wire diameter and coil length. The speeds won't be identical, but you'll have a high/med/low. You'll probably have to do a little adapting to get it to mount in there as well. Whether it's worth all that to you is a matter of personal choice. Me, I'd probably shell out for the MB part once I knew that was the problem. Also maybe check the EPC to see if it's a generic MB part vs G-specific. Maybe you can get it cheaper on-line than from Europa.

-Dave G.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-01-2004, 07:46 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
RE: Start w/ Blower Switch or Resistor Pack

Quote:
Mark G - 3/1/2004 9:15 AM

2. Resistor Pack – Inconveniently, inside the fan blower box, is a Resistor Pack. It is basically coiled copper wire around an oblique ceramic cylinder (stone age electronics). The positive power lead of the fan is directly connected to the Resistor Pack. You will need to cut into the fan blower box to access it and or replace it. I think the part is around 75 dollars from Europa and they can give you instructions of where to cut into the box. Although replacing it is a pain in the [email protected]#, it is much better then fan blower box removal and replacement.
That was good advice from all- thank you. It was also good to hear I’m not the only one with a vehicle that is failing on a regular basis due to age.

Assuming its not an electrical problem, I think I would rather remove and replace the entire fan blower box than cutting and replacing just the resistor. Part of me is actually looking forward to doing the replacement job (believe it or not). With that said, Dave, I read in an older post that you did that job without removing the steering wheel. This sounds like an attractive route, does it make the job much harder not removing the wheel? I want to make the as easy as possible given I have an after-market A/C unit under the dash. This unit may make it difficult for me to see the blower switch wiring for troubleshooting.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-01-2004, 08:26 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2003
Vehicle: 111.010 121.942 202.033

[/QUOTE]

That was good advice from all- thank you. It was also good to hear I’m not the only one with a vehicle that is failing on a regular basis due to age.
[/QUOTE]

You own a 20 year old truck! Get used to it. The car isn't "failing". Who knows what type of abuse and neglect it suffered for the first 20 years of life. I don't care who made it, after 20 years expect things to wear out. I have a a 38 year old MB, and to no big suprise things have worn out. The "Mercedes" difference is:
a) the parts are available
b) simple to replace
c) don't need replaced as often
d) the major components will last MUCH longer

But all of this depends on regular maintenance. Mercedes are known to last forever, BUT they are also known to require meticulous maintenance.

So yes - maybe you should have bought the 1998 Toyota. Anything 6 years old will require less maintenance than something 20 years old.

Search first, ask second!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-01-2004, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
mb230s - 3/1/2004 11:26 AM

You own a 20 year old truck! Get used to it. The car isn't "failing". Who knows what type of abuse and neglect it suffered for the first 20 years of life. I don't care who made it, after 20 years expect things to wear out.
You are correct, the truck is not failing, just the twenty-year old parts. Which, as you state, is to be expected. In any event, we are on same page; it will just take me little longer to get used to this fact of ownership. Especially when the little failures appear to come every other week.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-01-2004, 09:18 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Dec 2002
Vehicle: 1985 300GD LWB 5 Speed
RE: I HATE MY G- PLEASE HELP!! "This too shall pass..."

Phil,

Just to address the emotional side of owning an older G. I have a 1980 diesel that I have owned now for nearly six years. I am almost done with renewals and "repairs", but maintain a list of things that I need to address. The list is very short at this point, however there were a few months, perhaps a year or more, during which time I had to go out to the garage in the middle of the night and just look at her special beauty in order to appreaciate what exactly I was trying to do. My 'love' of old MB vehicles offered me the only source of direction, and the fact that I did not need to depend upon the G as my daily driver helped to reduce the urgency of it all.

That fact alone gave me the psychological room to pace the resolution of my frustration and Angst, although there were a few nights where white knuckle driving nightmares had a most disquiting and damping effect on my excitment about the vehicle. But, in time, that all went away as I found this forum and the excellent level of dedication to helping one another began to help. I will tell you that I would likely have not kept my G had it not been for the members of this forum and the support of Europa. Folks like Dave, Harald, Dutch, Brent, Mike, Thomas von Deutschland, many others; and the crew at Europa.

While a little more expensive than some other MB vehicle projects I have done, (do not count the black with grey wool interior and about one-half of a years allotment of walnut from the Black Forest - 1961 300d ("d" for diplomatic") limo (bought from the Turk Embassey in Bonn, Germany, or the 280SE Coupe project). So, things could be a lot worse when it comes to MB autos. At least parts for the Gwagen are still around.

Take comfort in the fact that this phase will get better, especially if you enlist in a philosophy of life that is a stange (perhaps) combination of Zen/Hinduism (whatever falls off must not be too important...yet..; And, an intentionally developed obsessive-compulsive preventative repair schedule - which can be developed once you get past your crises. (And try not to break that which is not yet broken.)

Most importantly, ask here before you panic or give up on anything.

Oh, one more thing, you mention the attraction to a Landrover. I have had a love affair with old LandRover vehicles...always from a distance. I am happy that I have never allowed myself to buy one. Most owners of LR will tell you the strangest of tales about failures. Many of these stories are new vehicles that would routinely not start, or suffer failures that totally disabled them. One friend always carried her hiking gear (with weapon) in the car because she has had to hike home or to relative safety on so many occasions, thanks to the many failures of her 2002 Disco. She traded it last week and bought the VW Toureag. She seems happier, but she did renew her weapons carry permit.

Good luck, and repeat the unending mantra... "This (whatever the problem is) too shall pass...".

Thomas
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-01-2004, 10:31 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Oct 2002
Vehicle: W463, 300GE
Send a message via MSN to 79percent
RE: I HATE MY G- PLEASE HELP!! "This too shall pass..."

The interesting question would be :

How the new super duper G500 will work, when they are 20 years and older ! I can hear them saying : Oh we are sorry, that software status of your CAN Bus is not supported any longer - or - oh your car has a command system that isn't supported any longerby Daimler Chrysler? Pls buy a newer Version...or wrack the car [:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mit freundlichen Grüssen

Klaus, formerly known as 300GE

http://www.gwagen.de
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > G-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in