Vehicle: Mercedes Tires and Wheels
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Continental Extreme Contact DW

UTQG: 340 AA A (All Sizes)

Click here for:Sizes, Specs, and Pricing on Continental Extreme Contact DW

The ExtremeContactTM DW has pushed the envelope in performance with completely new technology exclusive to Continental Tire. The ExtremeContactTM DW delivers excellent traction and responsive handling in both wet and dry conditions, improved ride comfort, all while delivering better mileage at industry leading rolling resistance levels

Benefits:
*Enhanced performance in dry conditions.
*Improved water evacuation for outstanding wet handling.
*Reduced distortion for enhanced energy delivery, lower rolling resistance and improved treadlife.
*Consumer friendly indicators alert drivers to tire's performance level in Dry and Wet conditions
Tread Wear Indicators:

Consumer friendly indicators alert drivers about tire's performance level in Dry and Wet conditions.

DW indicates tire is tuned for optimum performance (D for Dry, W for Wet).

When indicators disappear, tire is no longer tuned for optimum performance in that particular road condition

Dry Performance
ExtremeContactTM DW has a unique “chamfered edge” technology for dry performance. This dry road surface technology generates greater acceleration grip, handling and braking traction in dry conditions. Solid outer shoulder and chamfered pattern edges concentrates on a maximum surface contact, resulting in increased traction.

Wet Performance
The Continental ExtremeContactTM DW has high void to tread ratio which improves water evacuation for outstanding wet handling.Void to tread ratio means the amount of void area in the tread vs. the amount of tread pattern making contact with the road surface. This void allows water to be absorbed into the pattern and then quickly evacuated.

Dynamic Temperature Distribution
The Continental ExtremeContactTM DW has industry leading treadlife combined with lower rolling resistance and improved energy delivery to the road surface. This outstanding combination of traction, long wear and reduced rolling resistance is accomplished thought “Dynamic Temperature Distribution”.

(content provided by conti-online.com)

If you are running the Continental Extreme Contact DW, post your review here along with a picture or two - we (as well as Continental) would love to read them.

Low Prices! More Choices! Trusted Experts!
At The Store:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To Your Door:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Useful Links:

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Discount Tire Direct; 09-01-2009 at 02:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 12:26 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2008
I have driven a friends S63 AMG riding on stock 20s with this tire. Provides a whisper quiet ride and smoothly absorbs any bumps/impacts. Much better ride than OEM tire.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 12:18 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2005
I have a 2004 E500 4matic which I am looking for a set of tires. Do they make this in a 245/45-r17? I have not had much luck with Continentals in the past and am hesitant. I prefer michelin and wonder what tire you would recommend. I am interested in a great quiet ride and not so much in taking turns at 100mph.
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

Date registered: Apr 2008
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcohen View Post
I have a 2004 E500 4matic which I am looking for a set of tires. Do they make this in a 245/45-r17? I have not had much luck with Continentals in the past and am hesitant. I prefer michelin and wonder what tire you would recommend. I am interested in a great quiet ride and not so much in taking turns at 100mph.
thanks
Sending PM

At The Store:

To Your Door:

Useful Links:

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 03:09 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2008
Vehicle: 2008 Mercedes Benz E550 AMG Sport Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discount Tire Direct View Post
If you are running the Continental Extreme Contact DW, post your review here along with a picture or two - we (as well as Continental) would love to read them.
Just placed an order for (2) two 265/35/ZR18 ExtremeContact DW's. Should be able to post a review and some photos in a couple of weeks.

They will be replacing (2) two Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetricals. The latter were great tires. They were quiet, very good dry traction, excellent wet traction and braking, comfortable ride, but only average tire wear at 15K+ miles for a maximum performance summer tire.

Last edited by Discount Tire Direct; 06-21-2011 at 03:13 PM.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

(Thread Starter)
Thank you for your support westcott.

Looking forward to your review!

At The Store:

To Your Door:

Useful Links:

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 06:59 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2008
Vehicle: 2008 Mercedes Benz E550 AMG Sport Package

Quote:
Thank you for your support westcott.

Looking forward to your review!
Well, after 500 miles of mixed driving, I have decided to give a short review. Unfortunately, here in Houston, we are in a 6 month drought so wet weather handling has not been tested yet. And this is a shame since this is the prime reason I bought these over any other tire. I do not drive this car 10/10ths except on rare occasion so I am willing to give up some dry pavement grip for wet weather traction. I consider rain the most dangerous driving situation and so that plays heavily on my purchase decision. The ride is equal or maybe slightly harsher than the Goodyear Assymetricals I had on before. They lasted 16K miles. Maybe could have stretched another 1000 or so but decided against it. After the Assymetricals were dismounted, I carefully examined them. They had the most even wear of ANY performance tire I have ever owned. I found this impressive given their size, soft compound, and the inability to rotate these tires (larger than the fronts). They did show signs of damage on the sidewalls from foreign objects. Cuts and a small chunk of rubber was observed missing. I would recommend these tires to anyone wanting great performance and wet traction. The Assymetricals are incredible in the rain. I hope to get more miles out of the Continentals and save a few dollars. We shall see.

The CEC DWs do have excellent grip and the rear end stayed firmly planted through every corner. I ran out of bravery before the tires ever made a single sound of stress!!! As I said, they seemed ever so slightly stiffer than the Goodyears, but they may be a difference in rubber compounds over the two years since mine were made. They seemed to respond to road cracks with little noise or change in handling behaviour. Off the line traction seems to be better, which I really did not think was possible over the Assymetricals. I found traction during braking to also be very good. I hope to revisit this link after a good drive in the rain and after the tires have outlived their usefulness to report on wear.

Hope my review helps and bear in mind, we may be splitting hairs here once you get to this level of ultra high performance summer tire so the lower cost of the Continentals and the potential for slightly more mileage from them may be the real factors that help you decide what is right for your vehicle.

Last edited by westcott; 07-04-2011 at 07:04 AM.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

(Thread Starter)
Awesome! Thank you for keeping us all posted here westcott!

At The Store:

To Your Door:

Useful Links:

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 06:02 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Feb 2007
Vehicle: 2006 CLS 500 AMG, 2002 Corvette Z06
wish these were available in my size at the moment
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-05-2011, 11:05 PM
Moving On

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: Y2K SL500 Silver
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Staggered set of Conti ExtremeContact DW for my 2000 SL

Quote:
I got 30K miles out of my front 245/40/18 Michellin PS2's and ended up with two sets of 275/35/18 PS2's on the rear. I loved the tires at $1250.00 but not the new $1450.00 pricing.

So I took a BenzWorld R129 forum members advice and bought a staggered set of Conti ExtremeContact DW Max Performance Summer Tires from Discount/America's Tire for under $1000.00. They had a three day Special where they paid the 8.75% CA state sales tax in addition to a $50.00 Rebate for buying 4 tires and a Zero % credit card interest rate for 9 months along with receiving a SPECIAL Flip HD 4 GB camcorder from Continental. In addition I went with the 'Certificate for Repair, Refund or Replacement' on the tires because I had two rear PS2's pick up screw's in the side walls that were unrepairable so the above Certificates are an insurance policy that I would not ordinarily buy but had to learn the hard way on the PS2's.

Note: 2K miles into the new rear 275/35/18 DW's and I picked up another screw and in a very short distance the tire was trashed but I was lucky enough to make it to my local Discount/America's Tire Store just before they where closing for the weekend and they loaned me a temporary tire until they could check Domestic US stock. They found that the 275 tire was on back order from Continental until they could make at least two more production runs. So I asked if Discount Tire could find any 285 DW's. They explained that the 285's are a more popular SL tire and they had two in stock but I had to pick up about a $30.00 price difference due to the larger size unless I wanted to plead my case with Continental for a $30.00 return.

I now have about 6K miles on the tires and balance them about every 3K miles and I have upped the tire pressure from 30 PSI front/36 PSI rear to 34 and 40 PSI because I installed new H&R lowering springs and Bilstein struts/shocks which has my front and rear camber just within MB specs.

Now that I have the new suspension and tires I really love the overall performance of this 4200 pound roadster but there is one thing that I noticed that is different from the PS2's. I live in Southern California and it never really gets cold but when I first leave my garage the car rides just a tad bumpy until the rubber warms up after a short distance then the tires not only perform but are very quite like you would expect from a new set of rubber. The PS2's were never bumpy and were an awesome tire from new to old but you have to be willing to pay the price difference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ExtremeContact DW.jpg
Views:	1695
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	407605   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0011.JPG
Views:	2043
Size:	610.4 KB
ID:	407608  

Last edited by lynns; 11-07-2011 at 08:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Vendors > Discount Tire Direct

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in