post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2019
Vehicle: 2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
81-300 SD turbo diesel, oil covered engine

I am posting this for an older friend of mine that is not too tech savvy , he does not even text! Since it is not my car, I have not put it in my description, so please no hard time for that.

The car is question is a pristine 1981 300 SD turbo diesel, he took european delivery of the car and has owned it since. It has only 111,000 miles on it. So to the juicy bits.

The car is not his daily driver, in fact it now only gets driven 2 weeks out of the year and is kept at a second home. Last year he came up for a visit and was going to drive several hundred miles to visit family. He got 2 hours away and called me. Was pulled over on the side of the road, 30 miles from the nearest town, Oil covering all the engine, almost none in the pan. Dip stick was in all the way.

He gets a tow finds the mechanic that has the best MB diesel experiance he can. The mechanic steam cleans it, goes over it, checks the filler cap, the filter housing. Refills it with oil, they start it no problem. He decides to turn around and head back no issue. Since then he has only driven it around town, had a second indy Mechanic look it over, no cause found. I looked it over nothing to be seen. I suggested may be the filter housing he agrees with that thought but to this day swears no oil at all in that area.

My second thought is Turbo oil bypass valve, I think it is called. But where would the oil come from? He was driving about 60 on the state highway before that about 45 miles on the interstate at about 75mph.

I am not a diesel guy but any ideas? We would like to hear them. Oh this did happen in August of 2018, can get hot and dry in our neck of the high desert, but it was about 10 AM. He wants to road trip it again this August.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 10:50 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2003 Post(s)
I did own 1985 model of what I think is the same engine.
They do have oil catch system attached at the bottom of air filter, who not only likes to clog with residue, but with the age the hoses like to detach.
so this is a guess based on statistics, that either the screen on catch system got clog, or hose disconnect and 1st mechanic fixed that during the cleanup.
When the screen is clog and high speed build pressure in crankcase, that can easy blow the old hose from its mount.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2019
Vehicle: 2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajtek1 View Post
I did own 1985 model of what I think is the same engine.
They do have oil catch system attached at the bottom of air filter,.
From his description of where most of the oil was, mid to rear of engine, that sounds a likely source.
The weird part is yes first mechanic did a clean up but my friend, James, swears the mechanic found nothing a miss.

But if the setup is the same as yours was might be, if he knew what he was doing as part of the "clean up" he may of cleaned the screen as routine and made nomention.

I have access to the car and will look at that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 09:43 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2003 Post(s)
Let me add additional comment.
The catch system has a maze of orings, who age and leak. At low engine rpm, the leak will just blow some oil fumes, while at high rpm (freeway speeds) it will blow oil.
Can't guarantee this is the case here, but I spend lot of time trying to make my engine bone-dry. I gave up after fixing 7 leaks and still have small drips, so I sold the car.
Bottom line, not only MHO, those engines were design to drip.
So in this case I would start with replacing all orings under air filter and making sure everything is intake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Diesel Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in