post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2018
Vehicle: 2008 ML320 CDI
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
1 year into ownership, 2008 ML320cdi

Picked up an extremely clean 2008 ML320cdi a bit over a year ago. One owner, perfect service history, etc etc. This car has definitely taught me a thing or two on how high maintenance the OM642 can be.

6 months ago the car goes into limp mode, and I figure out that it's the swirl motor. So I check it out for myself. Oil has fallen from the turbo inlet. Turns out the red/orange gasket is crushed, torn, and misshapen, dripping oil directly onto the connector. Looks like the quality Mercedes shop I had change the oil recently did a garbage job of things. So I order new gaskets, and do the resistor mod instead of repairing the swirl motor. I'll repair or replace it if I ever open up the engine, but I'd rather not tear apart the engine for such an unnecessary fix.

A little over month ago I start to notice a bit of vibration when in gear. It was subtle at first, so it might've began even sooner without me realizing. Got underneath it that weekend to check the mounts and see that they're fine. A bit of searching online quickly brings up injector seal leaks, so I pull off the foam injector covers, and lo and behold, the far back passenger injector is absolutely caked up to the middle of the electrical plug in carbon. Parts came in and I had time to work on it this weekend. Ten (yes, 10) hours later of cleaning and careful prying, and the engine runs perfectly again. Injector was fine, didn't break the return line, didn't hurt any part of the engine.

So, one year later, do I regret buying this car? No. Smooth ride and great MPG while always having enough space for my things and people. Would I regret buying this engine if I couldn't do basic mechanical work by myself? Yes. There's no way I'd recommend this engine to anyone that can't do the wrenchwork themselves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 08:55 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2017
Vehicle: 1999 C280 (sport), also 2001 SLK230
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Garage
You now see why MBs have such steep depreciation curves. They ain't Toyotas when it comes to reliability. However, as you note, having the ability and will to work on it yourself can allow you to own a fabulous ride that less intrepid souls wouldn't dare to try.

So being willing and able to wrench on your own is one important qualification for older MBZ ownership. The other is keeping on top of stuff before it gets serious. So if you haven't already, change that automatic transmission fluid, flush the brakes, and change all the other fluids. Be aggressive with prevention! That'll keep you smiling long-term.

Cheers, and welcome to the club!

Kim G
Redding, CA
Where we try to pamper both the C280 and the SLK230.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Brakes fluid (and rear rotors/pads) were done at 70k, front/rear differential at 76k. There's a high chance that the transmission service was done at 80k as well, but it's not documented on the Carfax and the dealer won't tell me. Whatever, it's just $100 or so for the fluids/filter.

Doing transmission/transfer case/front brakes in May when I get a free weekend. Then I'll have nothing to worry about until water pump/serpentine belt... although I'll probably just do them next summer as preventative maintenance.

Everyone talks about Toyota reliability, but my Lexus ES300 was a real piece of shit sometimes. Part of that is because some idiot shop decided to flush the transmission without changing the filter (spoilers: the transmission slips and slides like it's made of ice), but it had a lot of high dollar stuff that needed work. Yea sure the engine always ran strong, but the suspension/steering always needed more work.
CheckEngine likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 08:02 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2003 Post(s)
You are not saying your mileage, but locked swirl flaps are results, so band-aid it with delete is not going to make your engine breath.
Any modern diesel owner should be very alert about any engine hissing.
Even OM642 are not prone to black death, it happens and when catch in early stage is not a big deal.
What about oil cooler seals?
True is that most of modern MB do have some high maintenance down the road.
At least you don't have airmatic, who at 10 years mark make nice bill.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 01:17 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Mar 2013
Vehicle: 2015 ML250 Bluetec, 62K miles; 1987 560SL, 121K miles
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 719 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I just traded off my 2008 ML320 after having it four years and 59,000 miles. I was quite happy with it, though it was definitely showing black death on the passenger side bank's middle and possibly back cylinder. I liked it so much that I replaced it with a 2015 ML250 Bluetec.

Keep on top of the maintenance, and you'll be fine with it.

"Engineered like no other car in the world." That's both a bug and a feature.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajtek1 View Post
You are not saying your mileage, but locked swirl flaps are results, so band-aid it with delete is not going to make your engine breath.
Any modern diesel owner should be very alert about any engine hissing.
Even OM642 are not prone to black death, it happens and when catch in early stage is not a big deal.
What about oil cooler seals?
True is that most of modern MB do have some high maintenance down the road.
At least you don't have airmatic, who at 10 years mark make nice bill.
Bought it at 83k miles, Currently 89k miles. Oil cooler was done by MB at 60k using the updated part.

Swirl flaps didn't lock up, the oil dripping from the torn turbo inlet fell into the connector and fried the motor. I'll replace it if I ever need to go into the engine for anything, but there's been no difference in engine operation since I did the resistor mod.

Engine hissing was surprisingly quiet, but I've since removed the foam blocks and engine cover to better monitor the engine. I can appreciate MB's stance on quieting the diesel racket with all of those covers, but I'd rather not have to dig out all that carbon/plastic gunk out of my engine again.

Airmatic was something I avoided like the plague. It took a fair amount of time to find a single owner, perfectly maintained 2007-2008 ML320CDI with options that I wanted (MB-Tex, Harmon Kardon audio, MP3 jack, and NO airmatic/parking sensors/radar cruise). Forget trying to keep up with leather in Texas heat; every time I wipe down the MB-Tex seats it blows my mind that they've endured over 10 years in the Texas sun and yet they still look brand new.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Diesel Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in