BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2010
Vehicle: 2006 e320 CDI
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Fumes in Cabin

Hello All,
I posted this on the other MB forum that we are not suppose to name, so for some this may be a repeat.

I have a 2006 cdi, 170K miles, build date 02/06. Whenever I come to a stop for more than 20 seconds, I start smelling fumes come in through the air vents. When I park my car in the garage, it will smell a lot. I took off the sound dampening covers to look for any leaks, I did not see any.

When I remove the oil fill cap while the motor is running, I can see some vapors come out of the opening. This also resembles the smell more than the typical diesel exhaust smell.

My thinking is that it may be a partially clogged EGR valve/system. From the two MB forums I belong to, I thought 95-percent of the EGR issues had to do with model year 2005 cdi's. I may be the 5-percent of the 2006 cdi's that is experiencing this.

My question is, what are the symptoms of a clogged EGR? At this time no codes are being thrown, or at least no check engine light. This is something I will let my indie check when I get the time, but I just wanted to see if anyone has experienced this before.

Thank you!
Mike T.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 08:44 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1938 Post(s)
EGR is not raising crankcase pressure.
Clog Crankase ventilation does and those require cleaning from time to time.
For byflow test, use napkin over oil fill hole. On good engine napkin should stay with engine idling.
If napkin gets blow, try small cardboard. If cardboard gets blown, seek another car.
Fumes coming from the engine into cabin also indicate weak firewall seal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajtek1 View Post
EGR is not raising crankcase pressure.
Clog Crankase ventilation does and those require cleaning from time to time.
For byflow test, use napkin over oil fill hole. On good engine napkin should stay with engine idling.
If napkin gets blow, try small cardboard. If cardboard gets blown, seek another car.
Fumes coming from the engine into cabin also indicate weak firewall seal.
I was holding my breath, but it passed the napkin test. You say the crankcase ventilation requires cleaning from time to time. Is what you are talking about showing in the attached pictures? If so, I think I remember Rossafuss and Josh8loop doing some mods to the crankcase ventilation system.
Again, when I remove the oil fill cap, this is the smell that is coming into the cabin.
As for a bad firewall seal, that may be a cause, but the heat/ac flter assembly is right there.
Thanks,
Mike T.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Crankcase_01.JPG
Views:	18
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	2491316   Click image for larger version

Name:	Crankcase_02.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	2491318  

Last edited by mtrevelino; 02-22-2019 at 12:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 03:19 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jun 2013
Vehicle: 1998 E300TD
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Garage
So it smells more like oil than fuel? Getting the smell identified goes a long way to finding the source.
Fuel leaks can be small enough not to drip but sure put up a stink. Have a look at all the lines around the filter and pump at the front of the engine. The o-rings wear out and you can get small fuel seeps.
Sounds like whatever it is probably comes out the back of the hood and gets sucked into the ventilation system when the car is stationary.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 04:47 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1938 Post(s)
Yeah, you've got correct pictures. Take the unit apart and use engine degreaser or carburetor cleaner to wash it.
Some member were talking about making catch cans for those engines, but the idea doesn't seem to be working well.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 11:39 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2017
Vehicle: 1983 300CD Turbo
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a similar problem with my 2002 Lexus LS430. My repair shop performed a "smoke test" and they found a leak in the fuel sending unit seal, or possibly the fuel sending unit itself. I too initially thought the smell was coming from the car's engine bay, but as it turned out, the smell is coming from underneath my rear seat (where the fuel sending unit is located).

Hope this helps,
Howard
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 05:11 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Are you sure the fuel smell is coming from your engine compartment? As I mentioned, I too thought the fume smell I had in my Lexus was coming from the engine compartment, but later learned the smell originated from the fuel tank. I would only notice the problem when I first entered the car and at initial start-up. I now know that the reason I would smell the fuel on at initial start-up is because the leak was so minor, the fumes would only accumulate in a sufficient amount when the car was sitting unused. Once I started the car and started driving it, the normal cabin ventilation would circulate enough fresh air the smell would go away.

Now that I have replaced the fuel sending unit and all three gas tank seals, I no longer smell gasoline.

Your problem may be totally different from mind, but it hopefully be something relatively simple, as mind was.

Good Luck,
Howard
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 06:34 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
It is not raw fuel that I smell. I changed the air/oil separator as in my picture in one of the above posts. This helped a little, but the fumes are still there. If I put the AC on recirc the smell inside the cabin stops. I am thinking it might be something below the turbo that may be leaking??? I cannot see from above the engine. I need to take it to my indie but have not had the time. I also get a strong odor when I first park my car in the garage. It is not a burnt oil smell, but more of a strong oil vapor smell.

One other thing I noticed is that usually when I step on the pedal pretty hard, I would always see a cloud of black smoke come out of the exhaust. Lately, I am not noticing the black cloud of smoke (from the exhaust or from under the car (just in case you would ask)). I do not know if they are related.

Mike T.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 11:28 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Understood; this is an area where I have no prior experience. I hope you can get this resolved quickly and relatively easily/economically.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
ok, just to bring everyone up to date on this and to close this out. One month and 1,500 miles ago, I replaced the oil separator with a Viaco brand oil separator. The oil smell decreased by at least half immediately. During the following weeks and finally today, I can say the smell is completely gone.

I stopped by my indie and spoke to him a couple of weeks ago while the smell was still there. He said that the first thing he would have checked was the oil separator. I stopped again this morning and told him the smell was completely gone. He said that when I changed the oil separator and without thoroughly cleaning the system, that it could take a week or two for everything to resume to normal. He said that there could have been oil stuck in places it should not have been, and took time to clear.

Anyway, that is my story. Thanks for those that offered suggestions.

Mike T.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Diesel Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in