post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Aug 2018
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Can I expect many miles

Hi,
I just purchased a 2007 E320 Bluetec with 110,000 miles on it. Is this a good engine and will I get the 100,000s of thousands of miles like the diesels of yore? Thank You
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 05:58 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2018
Vehicle: 2008 ML320 CDI
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I highly recommend doing research on the OM642 engine. (The engine in your car.)

It can be a reliable, wonderful engine long term if well taken care of.

That being said, it has some documented issues and needs to be babied.

Many of us drive cars that use OM642s and love them, myself included. But changing fuel filter/air filter/oil more often than you'd expect is the norm with this engine.

Take it on long drives somewhat often, they're what keeps it clean. Crank the engine from time to time for a nice redline tuneup. Do your maintenance more often than usual and it'll be a wonderful engine for many years to come.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 01:41 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2003 Post(s)
Very good performer, but new technology require more maintenance than old engines did and engine complexity makes everything hard to get.
Common issue is oil cooler seals.
The $20 seals cost $2000 + to replace at dealer.
Than you have intake flappers that needs cleaning, or replacing at higher mileage.
At least you don't have to deal with AddBlue and SCN coding.
Keep that in mind and when one of the issue will require attention - do the other as well as that will save lot of labor.
I plan to put filter-minder on my Bluetec as IMHO that is really useful thing on diesels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 08:41 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2017
Vehicle: 2011 E350 Bluetec
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Only taking into account the OM642 engines... I was curious to know what other owners are doing to maintain these engines? Iíve bounced around on oils... from non recommended 10w50 Mobil 1 race oil to the recommended MB229.51 and 229.52 oils from a few different brands (Mobil 1 ESP, LiquiMoly and Ravenol)... at the moment, Iím trying out Rotella T6 (which is MB229.31... I think) . I did not like the race oil... after 2 oil changes at about 4,000 miles each, I noticed the oil would leave a speckled film. It would cover the inside housing of the oil filter and you could see it in the opening for the crankcase, on the metal plate. I did an engine flush and cleaned it out. Not sure what to think of the Rotella T6 yet but the recommended oils were nothing to be that excited about. After about 3,000 miles... give or take 500 miles...they seem to all cause the engine to sound the same. The funny thing is this is how the engine sounds since the day I purchased. I bought the car used with 80k miles. I wish I knew what the engine sounded like new... obviously, the engine sounds smooth and solid with a fresh change of oil but after the 3k mark there is the faint unmistakable diesel sound... not sure why it happens only then... and considering the miles I put on the car, it would be nice to save some dollars somewhere. I find it a little funny that I save money on fuel consumption but spend the savings in servicing... It may have been a simpler choice to go with the petrol or gasoline version.

Iíve also adopted an intake cleaning and DPF cleaning routine that I have started doing myself. Itís not extensive but does seem to keep the CEL or Check Engine Light away. Always the same issues revolving around the emissions system. Iíve replaced NOX Sensors, EGR Valve, EGR Pressure Sensor and have almost come close to replacing the EGR Cooler... this is not including the replacement of the Oil Cooler Seals and the Rear Main Seal. At one point I thought there was a problem with my scanner... had to go to an independent shop to hear that they saw the same issue... thatís when I figured it canít be the part I just replaced... has to be excess carbon/soot build-up...? I checked Sprinter Forums and they seem to suffer similar issues.

Considering my revolving issues, the car really is great to drive. I drive it daily and is steady as a rock at highway speeds as well as quiet. City driving...eh... not much can be said on that. BMW and Audi make a much quieter diesel engine, but I have noticed that the engines in the Mercedes CDIís are very quiet in a city environment.

Sorry for being winded... thanks in advance for any responses if I donít respond right a way.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 04:07 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2003 Post(s)
Rotella T6 is excelent oil for older diesels and I used it not only in my Powerstrokes, but in E300DT as well.
But the oil is not approved for DPF-equipped cars, so I found Motul with 229.52 classification at autohousaz.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 09:41 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajtek1 View Post
Rotella T6 is excelent oil for older diesels and I used it not only in my Powerstrokes, but in E300DT as well.
But the oil is not approved for DPF-equipped cars, so I found Motul with 229.52 classification at autohousaz.
Iím finding that the oil that seems to work best on how the engine sounds is the 5w40 weight oil. Even my wife commented this past week that the engine sounded quieter at low speeds. Not as much of that typical Diesel engine sound and iím At that 3000 mile mark where I can typically hear that faint knocking sound... no sound yet. It sounded more solid running the Mobil 1 10w50 but there was definitely something going on with how the oil and soot interacted in the engine. I donít think it was all good either. My concern was that speckled film I could see. What if it was building up in parts of the engine I canít see? Itís unfortunate that the DPF will yield issues if a different oil is used but there is not much to choose from in the 229.52 (or 229.51) at heavier weight... can find the 0w30 and 5w30 but not the heavier weight... unless, of course, paying a lot extra if ordering from overseas. I only recently found Mobil 1 ESP 5w40 (MB229.52)... Finding a place that keeps enough in stock is another issue though. Iím planning on buying some for my next oil change...hope to get it before it sells out. Either way, I plan on sending a tube of the used T6 oil for an oil analysis. Iím curious to find out how the 5w40 stands up to diesel dilution.

I have found another brand of oil called Triac. They claim to have really high oil interval changes... 15k to 20k on passenger vehicles but that seems really high. It is a MB229.51 approved oil, though. I may try that at some point... send off for an oil analysis to see what it says.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 06:34 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prrs View Post
I only recently found Mobil 1 ESP 5w40 (MB229.52)... Finding a place that keeps enough in stock is another issue though. Iím planning on buying some for my next oil change...hope to get it before it sells out. Either way, I plan on sending a tube of the used T6 oil for an oil analysis. Iím curious to find out how the 5w40 stands up to diesel dilution.

I have found another brand of oil called Triac. They claim to have really high oil interval changes... 15k to 20k on passenger vehicles but that seems really high. It is a MB229.51 approved oil, though. I may try that at some point... send off for an oil analysis to see what it says.
Correction to the above... Mobil 1 ESP 0w40 and Triax (not Triac).
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 12:37 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2016
Vehicle: 06 E320 CDI
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Keep up with the service and it should be a decent engine. Clean air , clean fuel, and clean oil are your firends so dont skimp on cheap filters or longs service intervals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Diesel Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in