Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Mar 2013
Vehicle: 2015 ML250 Bluetec, 62K miles; 1987 560SL, 121K miles
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 719 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
I like my diesel

Just got back from a trip, and the car performed superbly. We went from Fairmont, Minnesota to Chattanooga, Tennessee for LibertyCon 31, leaving last Wednesday, stopping for the night in Paducah, Kentucky, then getting to Chattanooga early afternoon on Thursday. On the way back, we stopped for the night in Iowa City.

The total driven was 2021 miles. Over the full tanks on the trip, I averaged 28.3 MPG, and the longest between fill-ups was 639 miles, Paducah to Mason City, Iowa - with no low fuel light; it took 22.94 gallons.

It's really nice to get on the road, lock it on cruise, and sit back while the car eats miles. It's even nicer to get out of it at the end of a 700-mile day and not feel like I've been hit by a truck. The car has more than ample power, too, for those times when it's needed. It's also nice to know that I can drive all the way across Illinois, the long way, and not have to stop for anything.

I like my diesel. I think I'll keep it.

"Engineered like no other car in the world." That's both a bug and a feature.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 09:44 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jun 2013
Vehicle: 08 ML 320 CDI, 99 ML320 V6, 00 CLK430 Cab
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
I have an 08 ML320 CDI also and recently drove 1200 miles in 2 days. I was ready to get out but didn't feel beat up. I average 26+ but cruised at 75-80. They are comfortable!! Good that you didn't have to buy fuel in ILL. as I have heard that all diesel has Bio in it.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneryder View Post
Good that you didn't have to buy fuel in ILL. as I have heard that all diesel has Bio in it.
Indeed, that's about 2/3 of the reason I avoid it...just like I try hard to buy fuel in Iowa before getting back into Minnesota, which also has a biodiesel mandate.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 10:14 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymaynard View Post
Indeed, that's about 2/3 of the reason I avoid it...just like I try hard to buy fuel in Iowa before getting back into Minnesota, which also has a biodiesel mandate.
That's BS forcing you to use fuel that is detrimental to your vehicle just so certain people can get richer. Have you read the Stephen's blog on the cdi's? He says No Bio fuels in these engines. Not with low saps oils.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 10:16 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2003 Post(s)
Was that on you ML?
Diesel is not for everybody, but once you get the drift how to operate it, you will never go back to gaser.
Best part of it is, that if for some reason you don't like the fuel at one station, you can drive to next one - 100 miles away - often with reserve light on.
Newest model E250 BT makes 700-800 miles on tank, what brings new dimension to fuel/time saving.
We can fill up cheap diesel in Vegas, drive to Frisko, do some errands there and don't need to fill up till we are on our way back in Bakersfield.
From what I check last time, all states add bio to the fuel, but when most of states keep it at 5%, I heard Minnesota and Illinois have bio at 20%.
Chicago has high fuel prices anyway, so I avoid fueling there.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Yes, that was the ML.

Minnesota has a varying bio requirement...in the winter, it drops to 5%. The sticker on the pump says "Contains between 5% and 20% biodiesel".

I don't know what kind of range I have with the low fuel light on. I've never run it dry and hope I never do. And 650 miles out of a tank is plenty for my purposes.

I think "how to operate it" comes down to "try to keep as level a speed as you can"...the car is a lot happier cruising at any speed then continually accelerating and slowing down.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 02:54 PM
BenzWorld Elite

When I had my gas MB driven with reserve light for 60 miles and then for additional 25 miles with "range to empty 0" - it is highly advised against running diesel dry.
Pumps and injectors don't like it, when most of newer cars have double fuel pump.
On sedans with saddle tank Venturi effect pumps fuel from 1 side to other, on ML at least W163 the tapered tank is using Venturi to suck fuel from low point into pump housing placed few inches higher.
Bottom line - when you run empty - filling up 5 gallons might not be enough for the main pump to prime, when lack of returning fuel will not trigger Venturi effect.
Small thing to remember, but can you save big money and frustration if you forget.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 09:17 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

[QUOTE=jaymaynard;17475795]Yes, that was the ML.

Minnesota has a varying bio requirement...in the winter, it drops to 5%. The sticker on the pump says "Contains between 5% and 20% biodiesel".

If you haven't read this guys blog, check it out. I think it's good advice.

Mercedes-Benz & Sprinter OM642 BlueTec Diesel Issues/Problems | Stephens Service Center - Sacramento's Best Mercedes-Benz Service & Repairs
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-05-2018, 10:49 AM
BenzWorld Elite

That article is popping up on forums for some time.
I think the guy wrote it more for publicity than trying to feed the facts.
I own 2 of mentioned Bluetecs, both with over 180k miles and can testify that they don't have the problem Stephen is whining about.
Than when technician advise frequent air filter change without measuring the contamination, that means to me that he is not much of technician.
You can buy filter minder for about $10 to actually measure air filter status, when 642 filters cost over $100 and are bear to replace, meaning additional $$$ if you don't DIY.
He also ignores the fact that you can't buy 100% diesel in US anymore.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-05-2018, 11:12 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajtek1 View Post
That article is popping up on forums for some time.
I think the guy wrote it more for publicity than trying to feed the facts.
I own 2 of mentioned Bluetecs, both with over 180k miles and can testify that they don't have the problem Stephen is whining about.
Than when technician advise frequent air filter change without measuring the contamination, that means to me that he is not much of technician.
You can buy filter minder for about $10 to actually measure air filter status, when 642 filters cost over $100 and are bear to replace, meaning additional $$$ if you don't DIY.
He also ignores the fact that you can't buy 100% diesel in US anymore.
Since you are in Vegas, I'd like to know what oil you use and your OCI. He has updated that article fairly recently. I believe him in that MB only cares about getting your vehicle out of warranty. Same with all car companies with except maybe Toyota. 2018 Sprinter maintenance recommendations have changed drastically. Heavier oils are recommended that don't exist with Low Saps. Have you seen any 10w-60 oils? I can't find any. I ran my ML320 9500 miles on the Mobil 1 5-40esp and had it tested. The iron was very high and the TBN was just about gone. Mostly highway miles.
I'm not arguing with you. You have proof of success with whatever you have been doing. I just think the guy has some good points about the Low Saps oil and long OCI's and heat. You may have seen the guy on the 164 forum who bought an 09 ML CDI. He switched from Mobil 1 esp 0w-30 to Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel 5w-40 and his Iron was cut in half on analysis. I have had my air filters really dirty @15k miles. I have gotten them fairly cheaply on Rock Auto, even the Mann.

Last edited by Loneryder; 07-05-2018 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Addition
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Diesel Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in