Date registered: Feb 2018
Vehicle: 2014 GLK250 Bluetec
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Glk 250 thermostat replacement, help please

Hello all,
2014 GLK 250 OM651 in need of new thermostat but web search yields no fruit in relation to this particular engine.
Anyone here done it and can say how difficult? Love DIY if it doesnít mean removing a whole bunch of stuff to get to it. Looking under the hood doesnít tell me.
Thanks,
Jon Archibald
Peterborough Ontario
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 06:44 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: '72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Jon,
This is a new forum and probably not many GLK250 owners here. There is a specific forum for the GLKs on MBWorld - https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class-x204-94/

Same engine is used on several other Benzes.

You can find part number on EPC if you have access and location here: https://www.mbonlineparts.com/auto-p...omponents-scat

Part 7

For a good price in Ontario, try Exo Parts. Looks like they may have part 651-200-32-00. They sell genuine OE parts. https://www.mbonlineparts.com/auto-p...omponents-scat

Last edited by MBGraham; 05-27-2018 at 11:38 AM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 06:46 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2003 Post(s)
Google is your friend.
Doesn't look like more than some clips to remove it, but why you think it is bad?
Newer cars don't have thermostats anymore, but electro-valves that are computer-operated, so checking the computer before swapping the part might be good idea.

Last edited by Kajtek1; 05-27-2018 at 06:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 11:47 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajtek1 View Post
Google is your friend.
Nice pics and diagram. But where did Google find it and how much was it

This is from OE parts in NC. Just for info - OP is in Canada.

https://www.oediscountparts.com/part...agramCallOut=4

From this, US discount price is $62.25. But it might be good idea to check the temperature sensor , part 5. Looks like it comes with thermostat assembly, but can be bought separately for $11.62. Part # 0009056102

https://www.oediscountparts.com/part...agramCallOut=4

Last edited by MBGraham; 05-27-2018 at 11:57 AM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajtek1 View Post
Google is your friend.
Doesn't look like more than some clips to remove it, but why you think it is bad?
Newer cars don't have thermostats anymore, but electro-valves that are computer-operated, so checking the computer before swapping the part might be good idea.

Hello Kajtek
I think itís bad because the car takes longer to warm up in winter than what others report, for this diesel. In town the engine temp even drops doing errands and doesnít recover unless itís in sport mode. Is this normal for a diesel? I donít know.
Thereís no DTC showing up on my OBD2 Autel reader. I have the icarsoft MBII but I always get some failure-to-communicate message or such like (waste of over 200 bucks).
No one makes a grille shroud for winter driving in our climate, and I even thought of putting cardboard part way covering the rad just inside the engine compartment.
The part certainly looks like a thermostat, but with connections for not just hoses.
Does thermostat failure always trigger a DTC?
Thanks,
Jon
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeyb701 View Post
Hello Kajtek
I think itís bad because the car takes longer to warm up in winter than what others report, for this diesel. In town the engine temp even drops doing errands and doesnít recover unless itís in sport mode. Is this normal for a diesel? I donít know.
Thereís no DTC showing up on my OBD2 Autel reader. I have the icarsoft MBII but I always get some failure-to-communicate message or such like (waste of over 200 bucks).
No one makes a grille shroud for winter driving in our climate, and I even thought of putting cardboard part way covering the rad just inside the engine compartment.
The part certainly looks like a thermostat, but with connections for not just hoses.
Does thermostat failure always trigger a DTC?
Thanks,
Jon
Hi Kajtek
No DTC to tell me my thermostats wonky, but my car doesnít warm as quickly as other diesel owners report for our climate, and around town in -25C weather the coolant temp even drops, unless in sport mode(higher rpm I figure).
Is that just normal for any diesel, maybe?
If it were normal for this model I figured someone would make a winter bra/ grille cover, but none exists according to searches.

Last edited by Aeyb701; 05-27-2018 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Replied by mistake to my own post aaa didnít think my first post went through
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the link to that parts place, MB graham. Their prices are competitive with those on eBay from places like Poland or Lithuania.
Jon
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBGraham View Post
Jon,
This is a new forum and probably not many GLK250 owners here. There is a specific forum for the GLKs on MBWorld - https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class-x204-94/

Same engine is used on several other Benzes.

You can find part number on EPC if you have access and location here: https://www.mbonlineparts.com/auto-p...omponents-scat

Part 7

For a good price in Ontario, try Exo Parts. Looks like they may have part 651-200-32-00. They sell genuine OE parts. https://www.mbonlineparts.com/auto-p...omponents-scat
Iíll try posting on that other forum. Thanks,
Jon
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 06:39 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeyb701 View Post
Thanks for the link to that parts place, MB graham. Their prices are competitive with those on eBay from places like Poland or Lithuania.
Jon
The OE parts link was just for info. They don't ship to Canada. EXO parts is in the GTA area. Their site doesn't list prices. But the owner Shawn is quick to respond. Their prices are usually very good for Canada.

By the way, I have same car - 2014 GLK250. No problems with heating in winter. Still under warranty, so I have not done any DIY work on that car.

You should be able to test the temperature sensor. Unfortunately I don't have the specs, but someone may have resistance vs temperature data. I would also check the thermostat cables & connectors.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 07:52 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2003 Post(s)
Hard to me to tell much about cold engine since I drive mostly in 80-100F weather, but any scanner in $150 range should read the temperature independent, so you can troubleshot sensor or whatever before swapping the part.
My E250 is on the rack right now and I don't want to get my Sunday cloths greasy (again) but I will take a look at it tomorrow if I can get more clues about the unit anatomy.
If that is not too much trouble - pull it out and inspect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Diesel Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in