Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

P0720 and gearbox limp mode

2K views 2 replies 1 participant last post by  Andy E320 CDI 
#1 ·
Hi. I'm very new to the forum and Internet in general. Apologies for my ignorance and mistakes. My 2003 S211 is suffering and so I am. I have just not been able to work this out. I have a code that keeps coming up. (P0720) Gearbox is going into limp mode and on occasions will not engage reverse from drive when in limp mode (will from park?). Do I just need to change the connector and then reset the codes or does this reoccurring code related to the conductor plate itself. It will get stuck in gear. Usually 2nd I think. Can reset by turning off, waiting a little while and then start again or by using a very basic code reader to reset. I have access to star but not familiar with it. Friend has a version of it but nothing definitive coming up code wise. I have a few separate issues with the abs sensor(s) on the rear. Changed one but fault was still there. However I do not believe it is causing the gearbox issue. Do I change just the plug with filter, gasket etc or do that plate? Any help greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
Discovered that the reluctor rings are shot both sides on the rear... Can I remove the hubs without the need to depresurize the air suspension? Says to in the Haynes for any rear suspension work pretty much. I was under the impression that I would be able to unbolt everything from the hub and pull off the whole thing to be able to access the driveshafts and replace the rings. Why does the suspension need to be messed with?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.