post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2010
Vehicle: 2008 CLS 550
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Electrical issues, help!

To begin with, I bought her used about 2 years ago. At that time the dealer had someone fix a trunk issue. The 3rd brake light did not work and the trunk automatic did not operate. He kept is for almost a week and it worked. Something in the wires in the trunk where it bends while opening/closing.
So several weeks ago the 3rd brake light stopped working again. Last week the trunk stopped opening and closing for me, but it would release and if I pushed it down the motor would close her tightly. Yesterday my battery was too dead to crank the engine. Got a jump drove to the auto store had the battery tested, it was inconclusive. He thought something was still on somewhere.
So I told him I would go home and charge her overnight and bring it back for testing.
I did not follow through with my part today because my back hurts, but it stayed on a battery minder all night and day.

So this evening I got to digging around inside of the trunk and found a poorly taped wire had come lose. That was the # 3 brake light, so it works now.

The other wire they had repaired has a shrink tape on it with a lump in the center, so I think it is OK. The push button on the trunk now lights up but does not work. Sometime it will make what sounds like the motor run for a bit then stop, no trunk action. Pretty much the same at the door control. After pulling the spare tire out and checking some fuses in that area and pushing and pulling on other connectors on the left rear, the trunk no longer pulls itself down to lock. I now have to close it all the way and I hear no motor mechanism at all. Oh, I cranked her up a couple of times today, now the battery will not turn over the engine. Back on a charger!
The battery is less than two years old.
Also the driver window does not go up when I close the door, since the Auto Store disconnected the battery to test it.

Thank you for assistance here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
I removed the battery, charged with a 30 amp charger and the car now cranks up and the trunk motor will pull it down to lock itself from about 1 inch and it will release with the door or key release. Found where to reset the top and windows.
So now I need to find out why the trunk does not pull itself open and will not close itself?? I hear the motor run sometimes but it is not engaged with the gear or something.
F/U required a new battery.
If anyone can assist me with the trunk problem. The door control will make a motor run on the left side of the trunk but nothing moves. I could remove everything including the motor, but I sure hate to do that if there is something more simple like a relay etc.

Glenn

Last edited by glennj3; 05-18-2018 at 07:44 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 07:58 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: '71 Pinto
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Pull fault codes using MB DAS (diagnostics) control unit “may” simply need to be normalized.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks, I used my ODBE II, I think it is. No codes found.
The door control for the trunk works open and close (I hear the motor or something running) one is on the left where the motor and fuses are located. The other is the Locking mechanisms. But the trunk does not move..
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
So I have found that the door control works in that it releases the trunk lock. It will not lock the trunk automatically unless I push the door lock to close before I close it by hand.
So the door and key bob thing will release the lock and lock the locking mechanism.
Again, if I use the door release for the trunk the trunk lock will release but it will not lock the trunk unless I move the door control back to close before I close the lid with my hands.

Make sense?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 09:28 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: 94 S420 RIP 2/8/13 02 ML55AMG, 06 CLS55AMG, 89 Mas. 228, 84 Por. 911 Carrera, 93 Toyota t.t. Supra
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
What would make sense is getting a star system and use the correct equipment to diagnose the problem. You’re spending a lot of time and frustration and you dont have the correct equipment. I have a 4K snapon ultra and it simply didnt give me the data i needed to diagnose my 55. I bought a Star System which was 3k cheaper and it told me everything right down to “navigation disk outdated”. Stop doing anything until you get the correct equipment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Coupe/Convertible Forums > C219 CLS-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in