post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-27-2014, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2014
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Exclamation Transmission problems need help asap

Hello everyone,

Long time reader here and on MBworld and posted a few times before about potentially buying a Benz and wanted advice. I posted this question on MBworld as well so sorry if some people frequent both forums and find this annoying but I genuinely need some help or advice

Anyways I ended up buying a 2007 CLS 63 AMG with 85k km on it last month and was happier than ever with the car. The power is corrupting and every aspect of the car is a dream.

I have run into a bit of a problem recently however. I have put probably 2k km on the car so far and a couple of days ago I was driving it and then the car got stuck in second gear, then revved like it was in neutral through 3rd, 4th ,and 5th gear until it settled on the 6th gear and it stayed there. It would shift to 7th gear once I get up to speed but it would stay on 6th gear and then CEL came on. I took it to the dealer immediately yesterday and did some research while it was there. Some people said they were experiencing a similar problem and that it is the valve body in the transmission that needed replacing and to check the trans pan to see if there is any metal pieces in it, they said if there is then you need a new trany. I advised the dealer that the valve body might be the issue and they said they need to do a diagnostic. They did that and said that the codes pointed to the trany and that if I want them to proceed to try and solve the issue I must shell out $500 to do a transmission service/ checkup. I said ok and they did that. Called me back and said they did the service/ checkup but the problem is still there and I need a new trany. I told them that's crazy why don't we replace the valve body since that's what everyone with similar symptoms did and the problems went away and they said that no the mechanic checked but there was no code for valve body therefore the whole trany needs to be replaced since the gears are slipping. Also they said the mechanic didn't find any metal pieces in the pan. I don't know if they are tryna rip me off with $10k worth of repairs or what. I am picking up the car tomorrow and taking it to a local shop that deals with MB vehicles to get a second opinion but other than that I am lost. I will get the papers tomorrow too to see what codes they got and will post them here too.

Sorry for the long post but I am super frustrated I barley drove the car and this happened. I guess my question is really general, if anyone has gone through a similar experience and what ended up happening. Any advice would help really.

P.S. I called the used dealer I bought the car from and he said to send him the MB dealer quote and such papers and he will see what he can do. BTW, I did an inspection on it before purchasing at MB and everything was fine and the dealer also provided an independent inspection that showed everything in perfect condition.

Thank you to everyone in advance, I truly value each and everyone's opinion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-28-2014, 04:34 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2014
Vehicle: 2006 CLS55 AMG
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Here is the one question you need answered before you do anything:

If the CEL came on because of an error code in the transmission electronics -- What was the error codes? Make the dealer print it out for you, and come tell us what it is.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-28-2014, 10:46 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: 94 S420 RIP 2/8/13 02 ML55AMG, 06 CLS55AMG, 89 Mas. 228, 84 Por. 911 Carrera, 93 Toyota t.t. Supra
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Yes you need the transmission control module codes to get a handle on the problem. Without them you have no idea of what is happening but if it went into limp mode (stuck in second and cel is on) the only way to clear and test is with a Star system or a SnapOn ultra. That is the 7 speed trans. Most of my experience is with the 722.6 5 speed but the theory behind their operation and trigger issues should be the same.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-28-2014, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Here is what MB dealer said. They got codes:
2711: Hydraulic Fault in Transmission ( Engaging Shift Element Doesn't engage).
0894: The Gear is Implausible or the Transmission is Slipping.

They said that they recommend a new transmission and nothing else they can do

Ive read on a few forums that part # A000 270 17 00 needs to be replaced, is that true?
any help is appricated guys
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-28-2014, 12:54 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: '71 Pinto
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Two 722.9 bulletins released for 0894 + 2711, LI27.60-P-051470 & LI27.60-P-049270 both document cause as damaged K1 piston and recommend replacing complete multidisc clutch K1. Check your PM.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-28-2014, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Thank you for the replies gentlemen.

So do I need replace multiclutch K1? So no need to replace the whole transmission as they are saying?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-07-2014, 12:51 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 94 S420 RIP 2/8/13 02 ML55AMG, 06 CLS55AMG, 89 Mas. 228, 84 Por. 911 Carrera, 93 Toyota t.t. Supra
You need the codes. Get them from the dealer or someone you can trust. Then post them. Until we have them we can't intelligently determine what is to be done.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-07-2014, 12:57 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Must apologize I missed your post with the codes. Given that scenario I'd look at options to replacing multi clutch K1. You also need to know whether the destruction of K1 caused metallic particles to enter the fluid because if so it's entered the torque converter and may have damaged other parts of the transmission. If the particles are there I'd consider another transmission because the damage may be irreparable.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 08:50 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Sep 2017
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi guys I'm new here. I have a cls 55 amg. Have owned the car a week and only drove it for 30 mins or so. The car started leaking transmission fluid on the way home. So I have changed the oil pan rubber seal, and the 13 pin adaptor. The leak has stopped but now only selects 1st and reverse. I was going to change the speed sensor module as I believed this was the problem but when I removed the oil pan again there was a large amount of metal stuck to the magnet. I guess at this point the transmission is KIA!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170924_102710_1506268188789.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	2272577  
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 11:48 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: '71 Pinto
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Most likely transmission & cooler need replacement.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	2272681   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.JPG
Views:	277
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	2272689  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Coupe/Convertible Forums > C219 CLS-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in