post #51 of 57 (permalink) Old 12-22-2015, 01:26 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2004
Vehicle: Many different MBZs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DankNasty View Post
Thank you very much that information is invaluable... would you happen to know if the chromeish material they use on the trim is available for sale? Some had came off one of my ac vent but i was able to just super glue it back on and it looks like new. I might just try the same here except i dont have the missing chromeish stuff. Just found this shortly after posting anyone thought of using this on the trim? Amazon.com: NuoYa001 NEW 12"x60" Silver Metallic Car Sticker Wrap Sheet Cover Mirror Chrome Film Decal: [email]Automotive
I not sure if this “chromeish” looking trim is available – without buying a whole new assembly!
I haven’t priced such an item – BUT, there will be less presents under the tree this year should you care to partake in buying such a thing!! LOL! A junkyard MAY have one – but I’ll bet that the piece will have, or soon WILL have the same problem. I don’t think that I’ve seen a CLS without this cup holder problem.
According to a buddy of mine who is in the plastics “industry”, he feels that this auto chrome trim embellishments are sprayed on – sort of similar to a Powder Coating for plastics. He also said that this finished coating is very thin – hence the wearing and flaking off in some 1990’s and 2000’s MBZs.
When I chipped off and sanded my cup rings I can verify that the chrome coating was a very thin (and quite tenacious in some spots) coating over a milky white harder plastic.
The chrome vinyl that you are showing in the post might work well, providing you can get all the wrinkles out during the repair. A heat gun is the SECRET to smoothing out these vinyl wraps!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 57 (permalink) Old 12-22-2015, 01:32 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2013
Vehicle: 2006 CLS500 base
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpilot View Post
I not sure if this “chromeish” looking trim is available – without buying a whole new assembly!
I haven’t priced such an item – BUT, there will be less presents under the tree this year should you care to partake in buying such a thing!! LOL! A junkyard MAY have one – but I’ll bet that the piece will have, or soon WILL have the same problem. I don’t think that I’ve seen a CLS without this cup holder problem.
According to a buddy of mine who is in the plastics “industry”, he feels that this auto chrome trim embellishments are sprayed on – sort of similar to a Powder Coating for plastics. He also said that this finished coating is very thin – hence the wearing and flaking off in some 1990’s and 2000’s MBZs.
When I chipped off and sanded my cup rings I can verify that the chrome coating was a very thin (and quite tenacious in some spots) coating over a milky white harder plastic.
The chrome vinyl that you are showing in the post might work well, providing you can get all the wrinkles out during the repair. A heat gun is the SECRET to smoothing out these vinyl wraps!
Yea there are tons of this stuff available on there i just grabbed the cheapest one (didn't know it was an addon item) there is another one that comes prime for 12 and apparently these are rolls long enough to wrap the entire car. May be a good investment seeing as this stuff comes off on the door and anywhere else they put it and i'm not too keen on going junkyard diving everytime this happens. I was just wondering if anyone had tried it. I have the heat gun ready to go.
post #53 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 09:02 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jan 2017
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Where did you find part

I am looking for the chrome ring replacements. Where did you find them? I have a 2007 CLK550
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 07:03 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: '71 Pinto
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rclofil View Post
I am looking for the chrome ring replacements. Where did you find them? I have a 2007 CLK550
CLS550 - not available separately if wanting to remain OEM need to replace cup holder assembly, read through thread for alternate cost effective repair methods.
post #55 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 12:21 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Mar 2017
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
cup holders

found on ebay for about 100.00 new
post #56 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 11:49 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2013
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
replacing whole unit

Just got done replacing my pop-up cup holders.
There are 3 ways to repair this:
1) remove the popup section (press the popup button and lift up) and remove the chrome and paint it
2) buy a new unit (you have to buy the whole thing) and just replace the whole pop-up section only. Optionally, you can also replace the outer cover (just pop out the sides slightly and lift up)
3) replace the entire thing. Remove the outer cover first (see 2). This is tricky because the back two screws are under the center storage console. Here are the instructions for removing that if you wish, but I have the phone unit and it's even more of a pain: (note there are 3or 4 page links on the left you'll need to read) https://workshop-manuals.com/mercede...d_replacement/
3b) Instead of removing the storage console, I was able to use a torx bit and an electric screwdriver and the black trim on the storage console will bend just enough to get the screws out and in. You'll probably want a needle nose to put the screws back in place as it's fiddly.

Good luck!
post #57 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 06:27 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2011
Vehicle: '87 560 SEC, Pearl Grey/blue; 300,000+ mi; '07 CLS 550, Barolo/stone; 90,000+ mi
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Was there someone a few years ago that was offering an aluminum or stainless replacement for the whole unit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Coupe/Convertible Forums > C219 CLS-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in