Airmatic malfunction (pic included) - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 06:15 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2009
Vehicle: '07 CLS550 Indium Grey
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Same here. Mine was pump and relay, fortunately under warranty, so zero out of pocket. However, I still periodically get the same malfunction image you show. Kind of weird… I'll get the "malfunction" notice usually after driving for a while, but haven't noticed any "low-rider" or harsh ride problems like when it first occurred (and was "repaired"). Malfunction notice is displayed, but the message, and apparently the error code are being cleared each time the car is turned off. Managed to get it to my service manager with code displayed, but when they turned the car off it went away and they weren’t able to recreate it. Still have plenty of time on warranty, so I'll continue to harass the service department until they figure it out.

Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 02:46 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Dec 2016
Vehicle: 2009 CLS 550
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Learnings on Airmatic issues

I have the following learning from troubleshooting some airmatic issues on a 2009 CLS 550:

Car was sitting low in rear (on the stops) after getting yearly inspection which included lifting the car extending all 4 shocks to maximum length.

The compressor was not running. The front was elevated to maximum height, rear air bags deflated.

Checked power to compressor with raise switch in car depressed, no voltage.

Checked fuses, one 7.5 amp fuse in left front engine compartment fuse box and one 40 amp fuse #74 in the F-2 pre-fuse box under the carpet on the passenger side inside car. All fuses were OK. FYI 40 amp fuse in the left front engine fuse box is for the pollution air pump and not the airmatic compressor. Needed a mirror to check the condition of the fuse in the F-2 pre-fuse box. Not sure how I would have replaced this fuse if it was blown.

Replaced relay S for airmatic compressor in the left front engine compartment fuse box.

Still no power to compressor

Raised rear of car on jack stands to inspect the rear switch that sends a signal to the compressor / solenoids based on the car height. Very difficult to find the switch. It is in the center of the car connected to the rear sway bar near the center of the rear axle. Found the plastic arm that transfers location of the sway bar back to the switch disconnected. The ball joints for this plastic bar were rusted and frozen. Lubricated and freed bar to ball joints and re-attached bar. Lowered the car very slowly and started engine. Compressor started and brought car to normal level. Test drive successful and I can raise and lower the car with the switch on the console. I will need to replace this switch bar and other components soon for reliability of the system. If this fails again at the wrong time it would be very difficult to fix on the road.

I hope this helps some one in the future since it took me quite a bit of time and research to find the information needed to troubleshoot.

I still have a malfunction indication on the dash for the airmatic that I have not solved (it does not seem to impact how the system is operating in visual height of the car). When I check the codes on the scanner I am getting the following:
Y51 (left front axle damping valve unit) & Y51y1 (left front solenoid valve 1) open circuit. also getting the left front solenoid valve 2 open circuit. This condition has existed since I replaced the front shocks a year ago but it does not seem to be impacting the basic functions.

Any help with the on-going malfunction indication would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 09:48 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Apr 2008
Vehicle: W219 320CDI -07 W220 320CDI -01 W210 270CDI -01 EX: W211 320CDI -04
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
damping valve wires were prone to fail in w220 sturts, I believe W211/C219 struts differ not much...

precise diagnose would need usage of SDS

-Do not try this at home -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Coupe/Convertible Forums > C219 CLS-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in