LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Apr 2019
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Unhappy W218 CLS550 Shaking when hard braking

2012 CLS550 W218 with 50K miles on it. Magnificent vehicle to drive! From High speeds when braking hard (from 120 down to maybe 70 MPH) I was experiencing a shudder on the steering and and loud whirring noise. I figured time for Rotors and Pads front and rear so I ordered the Extreme Pads (Ceramic and Carbon Fiber) and Cross Drilled and Slotted Rotors by Power Stop through Jegs.com.

New Rotors and Pads installed and roughly 200 miles driven to bed pads in. Got on the highway this past weekend and was accelerating to about 130MPH when someone pulled in front of me and I hard braked from around 125 down to 70MPH ... I was horrified that I experienced violent shaking in the steering and a wicked vibration through the whole car, even worse than before. I'm hoping I just received a bad batch of Rotors.

What next? Wheel Bearings - or - Front Tires? Since the Rotors and pads are new I'm finding it hard to believe they are at fault.

Any suggestions? Thank You.

I'm new to the forum but not to fast cars. I'm a Master Mechanic and have owned BMW's, Porsches, Mercedes SL's and back in the day Alfa Romeo's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 07:08 PM

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2010 ML350 FORMER: 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet, 2002 C240, 2001 ML320, 1984 300TD
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1629 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Welcome to the forum! Please take a moment to visit the User Control Panel and update your profile to include your car model and year, and your location (at least country). This information will then appear below your name and avatar on the left side panel next to each post you make. This will greatly help others to give you better information. If you are using the mobile version of the site, you will need to switch to the "full" version to get to the User Control Panel.

Get the alignment checked. A slightly bad toe alignment can cause this.

--

- RODNEY

So you want to send me a private message? Please read this first:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Stable:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Coupe/Convertible Forums > C218 CLS-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in