Mercedes-Benz Forum

Mercedes-Benz Forum (https://www.benzworld.org/forums/)
-   C218 CLS-Class (https://www.benzworld.org/forums/c218-cls-class/)
-   -   2014 CLS550 Rear Sunshade Partially Stuck (https://www.benzworld.org/forums/c218-cls-class/3014966-2014-cls550-rear-sunshade-partially-stuck.html)

partyymike 01-12-2019 03:34 PM

2014 CLS550 Rear Sunshade Partially Stuck

1 Attachment(s)
Right after I drove off the dealership lot, I went hit the button to bring the rear sunshade up. What I didn't realize before I hit the button was that the temporary tag was taped to the rear window. I didn't realize it, until the sunshade was all the way up on one side but not the other (the side where the temporary tag was located).

Now, the sunshade only works on one side. The other side doesn't move up (it's stuck down).

I took it to the dealership the next day to ask about fixing it. They took a look at it and said that it'd be $1,600 to fix, since they'd have to replace the entire assembly to fix it. Having just dropped a pretty penny on the car, I figured the sunshade wasn't really that big of a deal.

A few months later now, and it bugs the crap out of me that I can't use it (for no good reason but the fact that I can't use it). I want it fixed, but I also don't really want to spend $2,000 doing it.

Anyone know if I can do it myself?

rudeney 01-12-2019 07:12 PM

Hi Mike, welcome to the forum! I don't have a W218 CLS, so I won't be able to help with specifics, but I have worked on a few of these sunshades on W203's and recently a W210. I assume they are all fairly similar in design. As for whether you can fix it yourself, that depends on how capable you are and if you have the tools. The sunshade is easier to work on when removed from the car. To do that, you undo several (usually three 3) nuts from under the hat shelf in the trunk. Then you remove the rear seat (or, if it folds, fold down the backs. The C-Pillar needs to be removed then you can remove the hat shelf panel along with the shade.

partyymike 01-13-2019 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rudeney (Post 17662892)
Hi Mike, welcome to the forum! I don't have a W218 CLS, so I won't be able to help with specifics, but I have worked on a few of these sunshades on W203's and recently a W210. I assume they are all fairly similar in design. As for whether you can fix it yourself, that depends on how capable you are and if you have the tools. The sunshade is easier to work on when removed from the car. To do that, you undo several (usually three 3) nuts from under the hat shelf in the trunk. Then you remove the rear seat (or, if it folds, fold down the backs. The C-Pillar needs to be removed then you can remove the hat shelf panel along with the shade.

Thanks for the tips, Rodney. Assuming I have removed the sunshade from the car, what then?

rudeney 01-13-2019 02:05 PM

You'll need to find out if the problem is where the arm attaches to the top of the shade, or where it is driven by the worm gear underneath.

SoCalAlan 01-18-2019 09:32 AM

Mine does the same thing. Did you already try fixing it yourself? I may pull mine our this weekend if time permits to give a shot at fixing it.