post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 02:50 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2010
Vehicle: 2015 C300 4Matic, 2017 GLS450
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2019 CLS450 design??

Have you seen 2019 CLS model? Do you like the design of it comparing to the current 2018?
Watch this video, which actually compares both:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 05:25 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2012
Vehicle: 2017 CLS550
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Good video and very informative. I have had a 2017 550 for over a year now and could not be more pleased with looks and performance. I really need to see the 2019 in person to make a valid judgement but from the photos alone I prefer my car but it is so close I would consider it a virtual tie. The chrome treatments set off my car much better than the 2019 which has no highlights making the whole thing look a little antiseptic and bland. The rear of the 2019 is just ugly and I certainly do not like the front lights. The muscular haunches of my generation car makes the car look mean, yet lean. The 2019 only looks slick and lean but not muscular.

The interior of my car is dated. The 2019 is absolutely beautiful and takes in much of the current E and S class structure and design. I would think the quality of materials is the same but the layout of the new car truly stands out. The "5th" seat addition in the rear is just a gimmick and a non factor for me unless I needed a place to seat my chiwawa.

So, for me anyway, it is a tie in terms of appearance. For the exterior I like the more muscular, chrome highlighted car I have. For the interior, I prefer the updated version and by a considerable margin.

The question you asked is preference based on appearance only. But since I have a tie between the interior and exterior, I must rely on an additional factor - performance. I do not know how the new in line six will perform. All I know for certain is that the v8 twin turbo I have in my 550 is an absolute beast! I've actually clocked it doing 4.5 sec/60 mph and it is all this old man can handle. I shudder to think what the AMG is like! That 278 motor is one of the greatest engines Mercedes has ever built outside of AMG. I owned a 2012 Mercedes six cylinder car in the past and although it was not an in-line, there is simply no comparison with the "beast" I now have.

I could be wrong but I do not believe the new car will match what I have in terms of performance. For this reason I will keep what I have for a while longer.
raed_jan and Winter101 like this.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2010
Vehicle: 2015 C300 4Matic, 2017 GLS450
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I'm almost completely agreed on everything you said: the interior is awesome, the exterior is questionable.. but have to see in person. It looks a little like 4-door E-Coupe, except for the new front.

As far as performance - 550 V8, I'm sure feels better, even though the new one is lighter. But MB is also coming out with CLS53 AMG, which should improve the performance of CLS550:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 10:02 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2002
Vehicle: 2015 S550 Edition 1 2014 CL600 Designo 2014 CLS550 Designo
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Personally, I haven't liked the CLS since 2014. The headlamps are my biggest turn on for the 11-14. I love the newer interior much better but I can live with my Designo interior, I can't live with the blah nature of the new design. Since they have turned the CLS into just an ordinary looking car, I won't be buying another CLS.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 04:10 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Just got the Special Edition One. Replaced my 2017 E with this 2019 CLS. I do like the look a lot and the graphite gray color with black rims (new to the lineup for '19), but that is each person's individual preference. The prior models were nice as well. The ride on this one is very smooth, very responsive, and very quiet. With the mini-hybrid system it's extremely quiet. Often times you can't tell the car is on. It also goes into a glide mode where when you're on the freeway maintaining a consistent speed it will switch over to the battery and shut the engine off and you'll maintain that speed. The ECO start/stop is also much improved from before. It's instant and quiet. No lag at all. Plus the AC remains on when it shuts off-a huge plus!

That said, this particular vehicle has had it's issues. Had it for four weeks and it's been in for service for various things three different times for a total of 2+ weeks. The Mercedes customer service both at the dealer and corporate is top level. They couldn't be handling this any better. Just a shame this particular vehicle has had so many issues so early on. I've had three E classes since 2011 and now this one. Had one bought back by them as a lemon. Their customer service is a large reason why I stay with Mercedes.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 08:23 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Dec 2018
Vehicle: 2019 AMG CLS 53 Edition 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dundermifflin View Post
Just got the Special Edition One. Replaced my 2017 E with this 2019 CLS. I do like the look a lot and the graphite gray color with black rims (new to the lineup for '19), but that is each person's individual preference. The prior models were nice as well. The ride on this one is very smooth, very responsive, and very quiet. With the mini-hybrid system it's extremely quiet. Often times you can't tell the car is on. It also goes into a glide mode where when you're on the freeway maintaining a consistent speed it will switch over to the battery and shut the engine off and you'll maintain that speed. The ECO start/stop is also much improved from before. It's instant and quiet. No lag at all. Plus the AC remains on when it shuts off-a huge plus!

That said, this particular vehicle has had it's issues. Had it for four weeks and it's been in for service for various things three different times for a total of 2+ weeks. The Mercedes customer service both at the dealer and corporate is top level. They couldn't be handling this any better. Just a shame this particular vehicle has had so many issues so early on. I've had three E classes since 2011 and now this one. Had one bought back by them as a lemon. Their customer service is a large reason why I stay with Mercedes.
Hey Dundermifflin. I just order my edition 1 yesterday. Couldnít order a custom build so I wasnít able to get the upgrade 3D sound system. This is my first MB and was wondering if you could elaborate of the issues you have had with the edition 1. Just want to know what to look out for when I pick it up next week.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 01:03 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Absolutely. Hopefully you don't have any issues. If you don't you'll love it. It's a great ride! Make sure you get a 2019 CLS manual. The one mine came with had the older manual which was useless since the vehicle is so different than before. The manuals online also are not updated for the 2019. I had to get mine through corporate.

The issues I had are the following:

-Three days into having the vehicle I had a coolant leak. A gasket was pinched and they had to replace the entire manifold because they didn't have the gasket in stock anywhere in the US. Was in for 9 days.

-The next issue was the remote start doesn't work. Apparently it's a known software issue where it's not communicating properly with the vehicle. It will start it, but immediately shuts it off. No fix at this time. was in for 2 days.

-Next issue was cylinder #5 wasn't firing. Car was shaking and engine came on. Had to replace the coil. Was in for 3 days.

-Next issue the front passenger side window is not working. Brought in today. Motor is not working. Replacing the motor.

I've put more mileage on it from driving back and forth to the dealer than anything else. If the dealer's service dept. wasn't so awesome and MBUSA's customer svc. wasn't as good as it is, I would have lost it by now. Both the dealer and corporate have been great in how they've handled everything. Posted a couple pics.

Best of luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image2.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	2473560   Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	2473562  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 10:56 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundermifflin View Post
Absolutely. Hopefully you don't have any issues. If you don't you'll love it. It's a great ride! Make sure you get a 2019 CLS manual. The one mine came with had the older manual which was useless since the vehicle is so different than before. The manuals online also are not updated for the 2019. I had to get mine through corporate.

The issues I had are the following:

-Three days into having the vehicle I had a coolant leak. A gasket was pinched and they had to replace the entire manifold because they didn't have the gasket in stock anywhere in the US. Was in for 9 days.

-The next issue was the remote start doesn't work. Apparently it's a known software issue where it's not communicating properly with the vehicle. It will start it, but immediately shuts it off. No fix at this time. was in for 2 days.

-Next issue was cylinder #5 wasn't firing. Car was shaking and engine came on. Had to replace the coil. Was in for 3 days.

-Next issue the front passenger side window is not working. Brought in today. Motor is not working. Replacing the motor.

I've put more mileage on it from driving back and forth to the dealer than anything else. If the dealer's service dept. wasn't so awesome and MBUSA's customer svc. wasn't as good as it is, I would have lost it by now. Both the dealer and corporate have been great in how they've handled everything. Posted a couple pics.

Best of luck.

Very nice looking ride. Thanks for the info. Iíll do my best to check it out before I accept the car. Is that a 2018? Reason I ask is because I couldnít order direct from factory and had to take one they found from another dealer. Talked to 4 dealers and no one could order an edition 1. I had to settle for a model with a few options missing.

The big ones missing were carbon fiber exterior, night package, and 3D sound system. Minor options missing were soft close doors, 3 zone climate, and acoustic comfort package. I was told the 2019 came with blacked out window trim, which was the only thing I cared about with the night package. Also, I see you have an edition 1 badge on center console, which I donít think comes in the 2019. I hope it does because I like the badge there. So if it is a 2019 I guess the trim will not be black and the badge will be on center console.

Other than those things I donít think the missing options are too big a deal. Except for the sound system. Is the normal Burmester system good? Just wish I could have upgraded it to be on the safe side.

Thanks a bunch. Nice to talk to an owner.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 10:59 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Sorry. Just saw you said it was a 2019. Is that the 450? I think the trim is different on the 53 I ordered.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 09:19 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsr3245 View Post
Sorry. Just saw you said it was a 2019. Is that the 450? I think the trim is different on the 53 I ordered.
Yes, this is the 2019 450 Special Edition. The trim on the 53 is carbon fiber and the wheels are slightly different. I went in to get the 2019 E400 convertible, but left with this. Saw this, drove it, and couldn't resist. Normally I like to order the vehicle so I can get exactly what I want, but this time I didn't have the luxury of waiting plus it had most of what I wanted. I'm not really a convertible guy, but wanted something different than my normal E class I had the last three cars. I'll be ordering my wife the C300 convertible in May so we'll get a convertible then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Coupe/Convertible Forums > C218 CLS-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in