LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Aug 2014
Vehicle: Dont have one yet
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
S63 AMG OR S65 AMG ( S class Coupe 2015)

Hello,

My name is Thomas, and am a newbie on this forum, (first time posting).

Though, i got a question regarding the differences between the S63 and the S65 coupe. Because, i was planning to go for the S63, until i heared that the S65, the one with V12, will also be introduced this year. Since first time going for a Mercedes, am quite confused about the differences. Would be grateful, if you could educated me on this matter.

Thanks,
Regards,
Thomas .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 09:05 AM
Outstanding Contributor Always Remembered RIP

Date registered: Sep 2005
Vehicle: 216 with everything. 2002 SL500 with everything. 2009 SL500 with everything.
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Not heard anything yet about this one, or what engine it will use.

Malcolm

"I thought my vasectomy would keep my wife from getting pregnant but apparently it just changes the color of the baby."
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 10:13 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 10:38 AM

Vehicle: 216 with everything. 2002 SL500 with everything. 2009 SL500 with everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz View Post
Thanks, that is some fast car

Malcolm

"I thought my vasectomy would keep my wife from getting pregnant but apparently it just changes the color of the baby."
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Aug 2014
Vehicle: Dont have one yet
(Thread Starter)
The thing is, is that the s65 version has a v12 engine and a horse power that is of a 630. Yet, the s63 which is Roughly a 585 HP is capable of hitting 0-62 mph is 3.9 while the v12 one is able to make it in 4.1. So what exactly the difference?
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 10:48 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas tadlock View Post
The thing is, is that the s65 version has a v12 engine and a horse power that is of a 630. Yet, the s63 which is Roughly a 585 HP is capable of hitting 0-62 mph is 3.9 while the v12 one is able to make it in 4.1. So what exactly the difference?
This was discussed recently. The 3.9 second figure is for the 4-Matic. Obviously there is not enough grip to make full use of the power at start but 4-Matic improves it. Accelerating beyond 100 km/h the S65 AMG beats the S63AMG 4-Matic. Perhaps the 63AMG 4-Matic is best for city driving.

The RWD S63AMG Coupe figure is 4.2 s, so much slower.

The website has colour codes for each model, the S65 AMG seems to reach the top of the scale.
Attached Images

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-02-2014, 06:09 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2014
Vehicle: 08 S63, Ferrari scuderia, Lamborghini Gallardo, F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas tadlock View Post
Hello,

My name is Thomas, and am a newbie on this forum, (first time posting).

Though, i got a question regarding the differences between the S63 and the S65 coupe. Because, i was planning to go for the S63, until i heared that the S65, the one with V12, will also be introduced this year. Since first time going for a Mercedes, am quite confused about the differences. Would be grateful, if you could educated me on this matter.

Thanks,
Regards,
Thomas .
Hi Thomas, the thing to remember is that these are big heavy coupes. Not really designed to be fast cars. I opted for the s550 4matic coupe with the amg appearance package. From all my reasearch it should be extremely comfortable, stylish and still quick around town 0-62 4.5sec. I wasn't impressed with the chrome grills, wheels etc of the s65 that along with the stiffer suspension made it a no go in my book. With the price difference between the two models you could twin turbo a Lamborghini. Now that a fast car or better yet... Buy the wife something nice. Happy wife... Happy life
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-02-2014, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc88 View Post
Hi Thomas, the thing to remember is that these are big heavy coupes. Not really designed to be fast cars. I opted for the s550 4matic coupe with the amg appearance package. From all my reasearch it should be extremely comfortable, stylish and still quick around town 0-62 4.5sec. I wasn't impressed with the chrome grills, wheels etc of the s65 that along with the stiffer suspension made it a no go in my book. With the price difference between the two models you could twin turbo a Lamborghini. Now that a fast car or better yet... Buy the wife something nice. Happy wife... Happy life
I have to agree with you, they are not light throw around cars, the boy racers can beat me around the small lanes and roads where I live, but I am still the first away at the traffic lights if I want to be.

I still will not consider the AMG version for you the reasons that you and many other state, they are a very nice all round coupe that near on drives itself.

Malcolm

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 04:58 AM

Date registered: Jul 2008
Vehicle: 1986/1990 W126
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1176 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Malcolm, next time I'm down (I go to Totnes and Torbay) you'll have to loan me your coupe and we'll see about the boot racers winning in the lanes.. 😊

'86 420SE
'90 420SEC

Daily transport 9spd Giant DH Comp downhill bike
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianrandom View Post
Malcolm, next time I'm down (I go to Totnes and Torbay) you'll have to loan me your coupe and we'll see about the boot racers winning in the lanes.. 😊
Thats fine Ian but I am getting itchy feet again,,, maybe a SL63/65 will be on the cards soon

Malcolm

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > C217

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in