post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Nov 2018
Vehicle: 03 CL55K AMG
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Cl55 AMG Boot Lid Problem

hi i have a 2002 CL55K AMG with power boot lid.

in the last few weeks i noticed the electric motor was struggling to get the boot to rise more than 1cm but didn't think anything of it as it has always been temperamental.

I had just been letting it come up 1cm and then pushing the button with my hand to gently help it to get about 20% of the way and it goes up by itself.

However a few days ago when i tried to close the boot (never had any problems before) there was a noticeable clank noise (like metal on metal) and it got stuck about 15% away from being closed. it seems the lid actually closes at the rear first and then the part near the window seems to suck in and thats where it was stuck, i couldn't push it or anything, it just froze.

It automatically went back up and the motor seemed to be working fine, but when it was coming down, it got to around the same place (15% away from being completely closed), again clank noise and it stopped and back up again automatically.

i had to do this around 10-15 times before it eventually closed (but still with a small clank) so there is definitely something going wrong.

Has anyone experienced this? On visual inspection of the moving parts, all seems fine. Hinges/bolts etc look exactly the same either side, no visible play. This problem is happening on the same side as the electric motor (O/S i think).

I have a feeling it may be the gas struts at fault here but having difficulty identifying the problem and don't unnecessarily want to start taking things apart!!

I will try and post a picture of it when i get a chance, however i don't want to open and close it too many times as it may jam completely and not close at all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 06:47 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2011
Vehicle: 2002 E320 SE, 2006 CL55 AMG
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Its a hydraulic pump. I had my pump rebuilt. I think it was the same outfit that rebuilds the shocks for ABC suspensions. I've had to rebuild my trunk four times; 1) pump, 2) trunk pneumatic lock, 3) valet lock, 4) trunk seal. I don't even have 90k miles on my car.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 05:50 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Nov 2018
Vehicle: 03 CL55K AMG
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
thanks for this, it appears (after an hour stripping down the trunk) on the C215 CL55 the pump is actually located below the battery, or thats my assumption in any case as you can see the pneumatic pipes going below the battery, i will get to that later!

also, i have figured out the problem, it was the gas strut which was malfunctioning.

Unfortunately as it malfunctioned quite badly and i kept trying to close it, the little ball on the hinge where the gas strut sits is also bent which means a new hinge and strut! have attached a photo

thanks for your advice in any case, it has prompted me to check the pump and fluid inside.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1990.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	2501850  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Coupe/Convertible Forums > C215 CL-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in