Did anyone here buy the Red 06 CL65 on Autotrader a few months back? - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 05:20 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Mar 2012
Vehicle: 02 CL55 AMG Clone
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
dude this car would look wicked with some flat black (or maybe regular black) rims i think

i personally don't think that rear window lip is factory, looks like amg emblems have also been added to the engine cover but i could be wrong..the rear trunk lip is also aftermarket if i'm not mistaken

haha i just noticed the 50 air fresheners ahahahaha

the amg seat embroidery is overdone in my opinion (just like the rear window visor), if the seats didn't already come with that amg logo then it would be cool but not how it is
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-17-2013, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2008
Vehicle: BMW 850+850CSi, Tbirds, Mustang
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
found some pix of red CL65...not sure if it's the same car though. The car I saw was definitelly in the carolines and the pictures of the car below are in florida. You can see the sign for the Merc dealer says "Tampa".

I can't really see the interior for this car. I find it rather unlikely that there would be two of these...but then again, there is no way to confirm 100%. My guess is that it's the same car before the tint, lips and wheels were added.

pictures came from this forum:

Getting a Custom Colour for the W215 AMG - MBWorld.org Forums
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 10:24 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2013
Vehicle: 2005 CL65
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctravis595 View Post
dude this car would look wicked with some flat black (or maybe regular black) rims i think

i personally don't think that rear window lip is factory, looks like amg emblems have also been added to the engine cover but i could be wrong..the rear trunk lip is also aftermarket if i'm not mistaken

haha i just noticed the 50 air fresheners ahahahaha

the amg seat embroidery is overdone in my opinion (just like the rear window visor), if the seats didn't already come with that amg logo then it would be cool but not how it is
The rear window lip is not OEM. A common kit item. I don't care for it but to each his/her own. The wheels aren't OEM either. Not sure if they offered a carbon fiber interior option in '05.

If that went for $60K it makes me feel good about the 05 CL65 Renntech modified (at least stage 2) midnight blue with tan interior with 67K on it for $28,000. posted about it in my first post tonight.

Red doesn't seem right for the CL65, but my #1 choice would be either white or I do really favor this Midnight blue. Black is too high maintenance and platinum too common in my opinion. Some colors look great on the showroom but get lost in the crowd - just my personal view of it.

It was at an Audi dealer from the original owner and they wanted it OFF the lot. Hard to sell a new Audi 4.0 for $80-$90K with a used CL65 for a lot less sitting with them.

It was only after buying it did I learn how uncommon they are (total import for both 05 and 06 was 194 for the CL65 of this model). I prefer the look over the new "slash" headlights. The 05-06 headlights say "Mercedes Benz" more clearly. Plus they weigh a tad less.

Oh, if anyone knows anything about "my" midnight blue CL65 I'd certainly appreciate whatever you have heard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 10:38 PM
BenzWorld Member

I have the full sales booklet (not just brochure) specifically for 05 CL65 and I take it back about the wheels - the wheels on it were from what could be selected so they likely are OEM and are in the sales booklet.

The AMG logos on the airbox is correct, although the one I have instead has the Renntech airbox.

What is amazing about the stock motor is that because it is computer limited in horsepower and torque, the stock 604 horsepower and 738 ft/lbs torque is NOT momentary peak horsepower - but those levels cover about 1000 rpms - meaning relatively speaking there is more power than those numbers suggest. The 738 ft/lbs torque arrives at a mere 2000 rpm, and the motor peak horsepowers at a leisurely 5100 rpms.

21 lbs psi out of the turbos is amazing for a 9-1 compression motor on 93 octane pump gas. I suspect using 100 octane gas will allow the denotation detector to allow a bit more ignition advance and thus a bit more power.

The "Renntech" software eliminates the limiter, so then the motor can continue to climb to it's non-restricted level (680 hp and 835 ft/lbs torque). Renntech claims their airbox adds 14 horsepower so mine - by their numbers - has 694 horsepower and 835 ft/pounds torque. But unless dnyoed who knows for exact certain.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 10:43 PM
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaifanSC View Post
Yeah, it's the same car...i guessed the wrong milage. The price though, was around the 60k mark. I remember correctly because it's just way out of my current budget .

I totally agree about the trunk lip, wheels and headrest embroidery. That car looks gorgeous stock...and other than a few exceptions with wheels...it should be left stock in my opinion. At the very least change the wheels to silver and not chrome...that's overkill. I'm a fan of the carbon fiber rear diffuser on this generation CL's, but I wouldn't dare put it on this car. I think it would detract from the look.

What do you guys think about the "AMG" embroidery? At first I was sure it was not a factory thing but then, after closer inspection, the stitching and thread color seem to match the rest of the silver stitching in the seats and upholstery.
Those exact wheels are featured in the 05 sales booklet.
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 10:50 PM
BenzWorld Member

This sales booklet is rather rare.
Here as some interesting stats about the 05-06 CL65...

Weight: 4,654 lbs/2,111 kg (lighter than later models?)

Redline: 5,950 rpms

Horsepower: 604 from 4800 to 5,100 rpms

Torque: 738 ft/lbs from 2,000 to 4,000 rpms (that is a huge WOW for the 2000 rpm spread!)

Turbo boost: 21.1 psi/ 1.5 bar. (off the chart compared to most production cars and for 93 octane pump gas).

Compression ratio: 9.0-1

Displacement: 365 cubic inches/ 5,980cc

0-60: 4.2 seconds
0- 1 mile: 22 seconds

^ Those are the stats from the Mercede Benz sales booklet for the USA version 05-06 CL65. (They don't date the year between the 2 so they could use the booklet both years).

HOWEVER... Window stickers for some said the horsepower was 594, not 604.

Total import (other sources) for the CL65 to the USA?
2005: 134
2006: 50

Some sources claim it was 194, not 184 for those 2 years. The USA was the prime market, few sold elsewhere. The 05-06 CL65 (identical) is significantly rarer than a Ferrari Enzo (499 made). Imagine that.

They were TOO understated in my opinion. I read somewhere they were thought by Mercedes to be most likely bought my rich young men for their young wives, with the S65 for the older men's family car and the SLS65 would be the man's personal car. Thus, they kept the CL65 looking docile. But that is just a theory of it.

It is puzzling why they would not sport-up the appearance of a car that they were putting in the (then) most powerful production motor in the history of earth.

The CL65 was the most expensive of any model Mercedes (still is). In 2005 dollars that was $183,000. I think a reason their sales were flat is they don't look like $183,000.

Last edited by dfwx; 08-22-2013 at 10:59 PM.
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Wondering if anyone has had any sightings of this elusive beast!
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Bumping up the thread every so often just in case someone runs into this beast. I'd love to keep tabs or get in touch with the owner.
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-07-2014, 04:34 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Nov 2013
Vehicle: '99 CLK 430, '05 E500 4Matic
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Nice ride, but it screams "hey copper just give me the ticket already.... Damn"
lol.
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
bumpy bump....good weather coming so maybe someone will bump into this ride somewhere . Would love some contact info of current owner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Coupe/Convertible Forums > C215 CL-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in