CLK55 fuel consumption . - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 03:08 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2013
Vehicle: MY05 CLK55 AMG , MY05 CLK320,Former,C180 Kompressor,Jensen Healey,Ford Capri V6,Alfa GTV.
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
CLK55 fuel consumption .

Just for the record if anyone ever wants to know ,,,,I completed a trip of 350km at an av speed of 100km/hr and used 9.5l / 100km.
or 30 mpg imperial or 25 mpg US. I was using 98 RON petrol.

I was not exactly driving economically , accelerating up hills and at various times up to higher speeds. I think if I had driven for economy ,,just cruised at the same speed all the time , I may have used about 1 litre less per 100km....but that is not as much fun.
I think my CLK320 probably would have used about 8.5l / 100 km on the same drive.

Overall I think for a V8 to only use 1 l more per 100 km than a V6 is quite good. The 5.5l engine is 72% greater capacity than the 3.2 ,yet uses only 12% more fuel.
The wider tyres on the 55 would increase rolling resistance as well.

On a slightly different subject it seems that the CLK55 will slow down quicker when off the throttle ,,almost like engine braking ,,anyone know why ? Transmission difference ? Engine ? Higher compression ?

Last edited by Benzyle; 08-09-2019 at 08:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 05:55 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2018
Vehicle: Triple black 2005 CLK500 Cabriolet
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Garage
Interesting about the 55.

My 500 gets between 14 and 9L/100KM. Roughly 16-26mpg.

The best mileage comes on longer highway trips of course, and the worst mileage comes when my right foot oddly surges down... but my smile widens!
Benzyle likes this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 05:23 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2017
Vehicle: 2005 CLK 320 black/black
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Cool feedback, thanks Benzyle.

My CLK320 averages around 22mpg. I only drive it on the weekends, some long and some short runs. Like you and mcgsxr I sometimes feel the right foot 'getting heavy' but that is why I own this baby!

Your remark around slowing faster when letting off the accelerator is something I've wondered about since owning my MB. It's as if I'm driving with a clutch and instead of popping it in neutral and coasting, the car stays in gear and slows accordingly. Other cars I've owned (Chevy, Nissan) appear to coast when letting off the gas.

Guessing this is normal for an MB? It's my first one so don't have anything to compare against.

-RC

Last edited by rcunningham321; 08-11-2019 at 05:28 AM. Reason: mis spelled a word
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 02:30 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: MY05 CLK55 AMG , MY05 CLK320,Former,C180 Kompressor,Jensen Healey,Ford Capri V6,Alfa GTV.
(Thread Starter)
Thanks RC , I have also noticed that both the clk320 and the 55 , when using cruise control and if the road goes down a hill , the car will shift from 5th gear to 4th gear to increase engine braking , to try and keep the car at the set speed.
I don't like this ,,so I will usually switch the cruise off before it happens , to let the car roll freely , while keeping a keen eye out for waiting patrol cars ,

However , apart from this , I find the 320 will roll along for quite a distance on a flat road after I come off the accelerator ,,,whereas the CLK55 will slow down in a shorter distance....
I am pretty sure the brakes are not dragging , I think it is caused by the transmission and engine ,,but I don't know exactly how or why ,,,?
rcunningham321 likes this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 09:21 PM

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2010 ML350 FORMER: 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet, 2002 C240, 2001 ML320, 1984 300TD
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1713 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
I think this is a function of the AMG-tuned transmission in the CLK55. It is more aggressive on downshifts than the standard version in your CLK320. My SL550 doesn't have the AMG tune, but it has the "sport" shift program for the transmission which also downshifts more aggressively than the same drivetrain I had in the CLK550 without the "sport" transmission tune.

--

- RODNEY

So you want to send me a private message? Please read this first:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Stable:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 05:36 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Hey Thanks Rodney ,,I thought you would know,,,
The CLK55 certainly seems more likely to downshift earlier than the 320.
But even without that ,,I think it slows down faster even if it is still in 5th gear.. must be that different transmission set up.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 08:26 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2008
Vehicle: Whatever car has the gas in it
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
If I drive mine is C Mode and baby it. I can get over 20mpg on a long trip. However, being that my car lives in Florida I never have driven it without using the a/c. I think the 500,550 and 55 AMG all see similar MPG when tested in the long run.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Today, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000 C280 Sport View Post
If I drive mine is C Mode and baby it. I can get over 20mpg on a long trip. However, being that my car lives in Florida I never have driven it without using the a/c. I think the 500,550 and 55 AMG all see similar MPG when tested in the long run.
Thanks ,, I forgot to mention it was fairly cool on this trip ,,so I probably only ran the a/c for about 100 klm or 1 hour.
No doubt running the a/c will increase consumption.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Coupe/Convertible Forums > C209/A209 CLK-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in