LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2014
Vehicle: 2007 C230
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question How do I set up new TPMS sensors?

Would like to buy new TPMS wheel sensors, but I can't find how to pair them to my 2009 CLK.

iCarSoft says their MB II scanner won't do it

Can anyone tell me steps to get the new sensors paired to the car?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 09:16 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2015
Vehicle: 2005 CLK320
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewtoy View Post
Would like to buy new TPMS wheel sensors, but I can't find how to pair them to my 2009 CLK.

Thanks!
If I carsoft can't do it you need to find sombody with SDS or get your own.
Cheaper passthru works on your clk I paid just under $300 for mine laptop not included. I don't think online coding is required I can check on monday.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 05:35 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2017
Vehicle: 2008 CLK-350 Convertible
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
When I got my 08 CLK, the dealer said they'd change the right rear tire at no charge because the tread was thin. They did, but their tire guy was evidently a refugee from a quick-lube place and managed to break off the inside of the TPMS sensor. Result was a random "clink, clink, clink" at the right rear which was a PITA to diagnose and finally locate.

Local tire store who knew what they were doing replaced the TPMS sensor with an aftermarket generic one for about $60 (dealer paid for it), and after about five minutes of driving, the TPMS system "acquired" the sensor and the warning light went out.

No programming, no nothing.

Note that some of the tire chains will tell you the TPMS sensors have to be replaced when a tire is changed - that is NOT TRUE and is just a way to screw their customers out of more money. All that is needed is a pair of new O rings.

Best Regards,

Mike/Florida
chewtoy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul600600 View Post
If I carsoft can't do it you need to find sombody with SDS or get your own.
Cheaper passthru works on your clk I paid just under $300 for mine laptop not included. I don't think online coding is required I can check on monday.

Thanks for checking, I'll look forward to hearing more from you on this on Monday
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 04:42 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2015
Vehicle: 2005 CLK320
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks for checking, I'll look forward to hearing more from you on this on Monday
No problem send me your Vin via PM so I can be sure I look up the correct model.

Marsden likes this.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 10:10 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2004 CLK 240 Coupe
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Quote:

Thanks!
The 'battery' in each sensor only lasts 10 years - but they are not replaceable.

MB use a special test meter to check the operation of the temperature & pressure sensors inside the sensor units when installed. But from the WIS documents I can see no 'pairing' routine, apart from entering the sensor CODE (from its label) and the set low pressure using STAR. As I understand it, the TPMS control unit (N88 located in the trunk) should automatically synchronize with each sensor after a learning phase.

There is information in my WIS on how to assemble a replacement sensor, and what sensor goes with your car. They operate on a unique frequency.

The MB TPMS feature seems a lot of hassle for not much 'value' - in my opinion. I can usually tell when my tire pressures are down, which is not often.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 11:58 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2018
Vehicle: Triple black 2005 CLK500 Cabriolet
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Garage
What year did the CLK start coming with TPMS?

I don't think my 2005 has it. And I'm OK with that, just wondering.

I check tire pressure monthly in the summer (car only on the road April-October) in any case.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 02:50 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2013
Vehicle: MY05 CLK55 AMG , MY05 CLK320,Former,C180 Kompressor,Jensen Healey,Ford Capri V6,Alfa GTV.
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
My January 2005 CLK55 has a tyre pressure loss warning system , which detects a change in the rolling circumference of the wheels.
It will not detect a gradual even decline in all four at the same time.
It did warn me after I had new , correct but different size tyres fitted to the rear,,,so I had to re-activate the system on the MFD. The pressures were correct , but the rolling circumference changed because of the different tyre size.

I am not sure if this is the same system referred to above....
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 07:30 PM

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2010 ML350 FORMER: 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet, 2002 C240, 2001 ML320, 1984 300TD
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 1718 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
There are three types of TPM system used by MBZ. The most basic system uses the wheel speed sensors to detect changes in circumference relative to other wheels. I think this option can actually be enabled via SDS on any My2005+ car.

The "low cost" system uses pressure sensors on each wheel, but it has only one antenna to read their signals. The system can alert you to a tire with low pressure, but it can't tell which tire it is. All it has is an "idiot light" on the instrument cluster.

The "high line" system uses the same pressure sensors on each wheel, but the receiver has two antennas and also uses the wheel speed sensors to triangulate the location of each sensor. I can then give you a readout of the exact pressure on each wheel.

On the systems that use wheel-mounted sensors, there is no programming or reset needed. Note that on the low-line system, if the indicator light flashes, it indicates a system error as opposed to low pressure.
Benzyle likes this.

--

- RODNEY

So you want to send me a private message? Please read this first:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Stable:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudeney View Post
There are three types of TPM system used by MBZ. The most basic system uses the wheel speed sensors to detect changes in circumference relative to other wheels. I think this option can actually be enabled via SDS on any My2005+ car.

The "low cost" system uses pressure sensors on each wheel, but it has only one antenna to read their signals. The system can alert you to a tire with low pressure, but it can't tell which tire it is. All it has is an "idiot light" on the instrument cluster.

The "high line" system uses the same pressure sensors on each wheel, but the receiver has two antennas and also uses the wheel speed sensors to triangulate the location of each sensor. I can then give you a readout of the exact pressure on each wheel.

On the systems that use wheel-mounted sensors, there is no programming or reset needed. Note that on the low-line system, if the indicator light flashes, it indicates a system error as opposed to low pressure.
Thanks Rudney!

I have the low cost system with the idiot light. My understanding is that I can put new sensors in the tires and the car will sense them without my input. Correct?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Coupe/Convertible Forums > C209/A209 CLK-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in