Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

How do I set up new TPMS sensors?

15K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  rudeney 
#1 ·
Would like to buy new TPMS wheel sensors, but I can't find how to pair them to my 2009 CLK.

iCarSoft says their MB II scanner won't do it :(

Can anyone tell me steps to get the new sensors paired to the car?

Thanks!

#2 ·
Would like to buy new TPMS wheel sensors, but I can't find how to pair them to my 2009 CLK.

iCarSoft says their MB II scanner won't do it :(

Can anyone tell me steps to get the new sensors paired to the car?

Thanks!
If I carsoft can't do it you need to find sombody with SDS or get your own.
Cheaper passthru works on your clk I paid just under $300 for mine laptop not included. I don't think online coding is required I can check on monday.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

#3 ·
When I got my 08 CLK, the dealer said they'd change the right rear tire at no charge because the tread was thin. They did, but their tire guy was evidently a refugee from a quick-lube place and managed to break off the inside of the TPMS sensor. Result was a random "clink, clink, clink" at the right rear which was a PITA to diagnose and finally locate.

Local tire store who knew what they were doing replaced the TPMS sensor with an aftermarket generic one for about $60 (dealer paid for it), and after about five minutes of driving, the TPMS system "acquired" the sensor and the warning light went out.

No programming, no nothing.

Note that some of the tire chains will tell you the TPMS sensors have to be replaced when a tire is changed - that is NOT TRUE and is just a way to screw their customers out of more money. All that is needed is a pair of new O rings.

Best Regards,

Mike/Florida

#6 ·
The 'battery' in each sensor only lasts 10 years - but they are not replaceable.

MB use a special test meter to check the operation of the temperature & pressure sensors inside the sensor units when installed. But from the WIS documents I can see no 'pairing' routine, apart from entering the sensor CODE (from its label) and the set low pressure using STAR. As I understand it, the TPMS control unit (N88 located in the trunk) should automatically synchronize with each sensor after a learning phase.

There is information in my WIS on how to assemble a replacement sensor, and what sensor goes with your car. They operate on a unique frequency.

The MB TPMS feature seems a lot of hassle for not much 'value' - in my opinion. I can usually tell when my tire pressures are down, which is not often.

#8 ·
My January 2005 CLK55 has a tyre pressure loss warning system , which detects a change in the rolling circumference of the wheels.
It will not detect a gradual even decline in all four at the same time.
It did warn me after I had new , correct but different size tyres fitted to the rear,,,so I had to re-activate the system on the MFD. The pressures were correct , but the rolling circumference changed because of the different tyre size.

I am not sure if this is the same system referred to above....

#9 ·
There are three types of TPM system used by MBZ. The most basic system uses the wheel speed sensors to detect changes in circumference relative to other wheels. I think this option can actually be enabled via SDS on any My2005+ car.

The "low cost" system uses pressure sensors on each wheel, but it has only one antenna to read their signals. The system can alert you to a tire with low pressure, but it can't tell which tire it is. All it has is an "idiot light" on the instrument cluster.

The "high line" system uses the same pressure sensors on each wheel, but the receiver has two antennas and also uses the wheel speed sensors to triangulate the location of each sensor. I can then give you a readout of the exact pressure on each wheel.

On the systems that use wheel-mounted sensors, there is no programming or reset needed. Note that on the low-line system, if the indicator light flashes, it indicates a system error as opposed to low pressure.

#11 ·
I guess I have the low line also. (Sigh)

That was exactly my experience, install new sensor, drive off, less than a mile later the light went out. No programming, no nothing.

The system does work, every couple of months it complains about low tire pressure, and sure enough, one is low. What's interesting is that the others are usually not that far behind, so when the light comes on, I check and refill all four.

Best Regards,

Mike/Florida

#12 ·
Yep - what Mike said! Honestly, I hate those low--line TPMS systems. Some cars don't even have the "proper" pressure programmed into the controller. instead, you, the owner, has to press a button to "accept" the current pressures. I much prefer the TPMS systems that give you actual pressure readings for each tire.

#13 ·
Aviation Head Mounted TPMS (HMTPMS).

Free.

But qualifications apply.

I used to teach ground school at a rather busy flight school here in Florida. Turns out I am exactly the right height to walk under a Cessna 150 wing IF the tires are at the right pressure. If I walked under a wing and felt it just graze the top of my head, the tire pressure was low.

I continually astonished the students by walking around the airplanes and authoritatively pointing to a tire "That tire is two pounds low", they'd measure it and it was. How the heck do you know that? How can you tell just by glancing at it? They never did catch on, although I did tell a few extra-good students the secret after they took their check rides.

Remember, age and deceit will always triumph over youth and innocence.

Best Regards,

Mike/Florida

#14 ·
I have a 2009 CLK 350. It has the TPMS sensors in the wheels, but doesn't tell you what wheel is low.

I am curious what Reset TPMS in the menu do? I suspect it reads all four sensors and sets their pressure as the "correct" pressure. Here's why I think so: I got the low pressure warning and also got the yellow tire profile in the console. When I corrected the pressure in the right rear tire the warning light stayed on, but I didn't get any other warnings. I then did a TPMS reset and the warning light went out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.