post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2015
Vehicle: 2005 CLK 500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Car won’t start...

Good morning ladies and gents... I’m having a problem that seemed to come out of nowhere....
I hopped in my car after finishing work started it up like normal and drive off to my next destination. After getting back in my car to head home I put the key in and all the lights lit up but absolutely nothing happened... once in my few attempts it seemed as if it wanted to kick over and start but it did not... so now all it does when I put the key in and attempt to start it just lights up the dashboard but does not start. No noise, no error codes, nothing....
Can anyone suggest what might be the problem? I don’t think it’s the battery because everything works normal. Meaning the windows, radio, AC, headlights etc... I just want an idea so I don’t get taken for a ride at the mechanics... thanks in advance....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 08:32 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Aug 2017
Vehicle: 2006 CLK 350 Convertible
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
You may have a faulty battery connection because not enough amps are flowing to run starter. Check your battery posts and clean them. If there has not been a good connection for a while, you may also have not been receiving a good charge. It may be other things, but I would go for the battery first.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 07:15 PM

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2010 ML350 FORMER: 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet, 2002 C240, 2001 ML320, 1984 300TD
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1692 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Just because the battery can power lights and the radio does not mean it can power the starter.
gorj likes this.

--

- RODNEY

So you want to send me a private message? Please read this first:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Stable:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Just got word from the mechanic that it’s neither the battery, starter, or alternator. He also checked other things and told me that more than likely it’s the computer and that’s a job he is not able to do because it’s a dealership fix... I had it towed to the local Mercedes dealership in my area... so my next question is what kind of cost am I looking at?
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 05:36 PM

Vehicle: CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2010 ML350 FORMER: 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet, 2002 C240, 2001 ML320, 1984 300TD
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
At a MBZ dealership? Probably $2K to start.

--

- RODNEY

My Stable:

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 06:19 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Aug 2017
Vehicle: 2006 CLK 350 Convertible
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Could be $200 to $400 just for them to diagnose it!! Good luck, a few MB dealers are some of the best con men! By the way, under normal circumstances computers rarely go out.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudeney View Post
Wow! The car at this point in a trade-in is worth about that much... something to think about I guess... I’m actually looking at purchasing a 2017 GLC 300 coupe... I was planning to keep my CLK as a secondary car but with these problems I might just have to let the CLK go... or fix it and sell it just to get my money back... decisions, decisions...
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorj View Post
Could be $200 to $400 just for them to diagnose it!! Good luck, a few MB dealers are some of the best con men! By the way, under normal circumstances computers rarely go out.
Yea I know that a lot of them are cons... once I took my car to them because there was a situation with my lights... I was charged $230 for the hour and a half it took then to look at it and tell me what the problem was... so I know...
as for the computer possibly going out I thought that idea is weird as well. Simply because it just gave me no indication whatsoever about anything... I went from driving from one destination to another and everything was fine then when I went to drive to my next destination it just would not start... there was a point where it wanted to start but just never kicked over... then every time after that it just never started just all the dashboard light would go on but nothing more.... hopefully the dealership will tell me something... and hopefully it’s not the computer... we’ll see...
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudeney View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorj View Post
Is this something that can be fixed at a regular mechanic shop?
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 12:18 PM

Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
With the right knowledge and scan tool, this can be corrected by anyone. Your mechanic said it's, "neither the battery, stater or alternator." How much do you trust him? Some people think MBZ cars are some magical things than only dealers can work on. That is not true. They are just mechanical things like any car, but it does help to have some knowledge and experience with their specialized electronics. You stated, "once in my few attempts it seemed as if it wanted to kick over and start but it did not." Does that mean the starter ran or sounded like it was running briefly? if the starter operates at all, it is not an electronic problem, but a simple voltage, starter or solenoid issue.
chewtoy and gorj like this.

--

- RODNEY

My Stable:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Coupe/Convertible Forums > C209/A209 CLK-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in