Wonít unlock. - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 04:04 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2016
Vehicle: 2009 CLK 350
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Funny, actually not, I had the exact same problem when I returned from a one month vacation and couldn't get into the car. Try to get the trunk key to turn by lubricating it. Understand that you have to hold the key turned and then actuate the handle to open the trunk. If you can get in find a fuse connected to an always on. Put a fuse tap in and connect a charger positive terminal to the fuse tap and ground the charger to the chassis. There's a ground point next to the fuses. Fairly quickly I was able to unlock the door with the fob and then open the hood and put a charger on the battery. A trip to Batteries Plus and I was back in business!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 04:48 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Aug 2017
Vehicle: 2006 CLK 350 Convertible
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anker View Post
Funny, actually not, I had the exact same problem when I returned from a one month vacation and couldn't get into the car. Try to get the trunk key to turn by lubricating it. Understand that you have to hold the key turned and then actuate the handle to open the trunk. If you can get in find a fuse connected to an always on. Put a fuse tap in and connect a charger positive terminal to the fuse tap and ground the charger to the chassis. There's a ground point next to the fuses. Fairly quickly I was able to unlock the door with the fob and then open the hood and put a charger on the battery. A trip to Batteries Plus and I was back in business!
That is a great idea if you can get the trunk unlocked.
post #13 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2012
Vehicle: 2007 CLK350 cab
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Getting in the trunk doesnít seem realistic. That key wonít move. But if it did I would have loved to try what you said.
I called a locksmith theyíre going to come tomorrow and get it open. Didnít do it today cause itís raining non stop.
So from what Everyone thinks it seems like my battery is dead... I just donít see how it can die like that overnight without any signs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 04:48 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Aug 2017
Vehicle: 2006 CLK 350 Convertible
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK627 View Post
Getting in the trunk doesnít seem realistic. That key wonít move. But if it did I would have loved to try what you said.
I called a locksmith theyíre going to come tomorrow and get it open. Didnít do it today cause itís raining non stop.
So from what Everyone thinks it seems like my battery is dead... I just donít see how it can die like that overnight without any signs.

It can happen. Several years ago I came home from work for lunch in a one year old vehicle. After lunch I went to start it and it was dead. Dealer had to replace battery. Hope yours is just a simple battery issue. Also, you might try to find out why your key will not open the door or trunk. After you posted this issue, I went out and tried my key because it had never been used on my 13 year old MB. It worked on both the door and the trunk. My MB has always been garaged though.
post #15 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
I was able to finally get into the trunk! Iím assuming that my battery is dead since the alarm didnít go off and the light in the trunk is dead. Iím going to go buy a tap and attempt what was suggested with a booster.

Can someone tell me what fuse in the trunk is always on?

Iím attaching a picture if a fuse tap just want to make sure Iím buying the right product.

Iím assuming I would strip the cord to clamp the booster on it, does that sound right?

post #16 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 10:42 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2004 CLK 240 Coupe
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Quote:

Go to the W209 CLK Maintenance Sticky and look at the thread for ALL fuse/relay box details for W209. Go to the N10-2 fuse assignment pdf. These are located in the trunk.

Any fuse connected to Circuit 30 is un-switched, (i.e. always ON). Remove the fuse and use a test meter to find the + side of the fuse socket. That is where you can charge your battery. Connect the negative side of the charger to any good chassis earth.
post #17 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Keyhole, thanks for the reply.

Question after I find the positive side what would I use to charge? Do I stick a wire in there and connect to the charger? Or do I use the fuse tap?

post #18 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 12:37 PM
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
You will very likely find that there is an unused, un-switched fuse position that you can use.

Be very careful that you are correctly identifying which fuse is which. A good way to do this is by looking at the rating of the fuses and verifying that they match the fuse diagram.

What I do is to not put the fuse into the tap that came out of the plug, but just use the one that goes on top of the tap that usually comes with the tap. I don't worry about whether I supply power to the non-rail side of the fuse. Powering the circuits doesn't hurt anything.
post #19 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 12:40 PM
BenzWorld Member

On the fuse tap you pictured the one that connects the two sides (replaces the original fuse) is the one closest to the terminals. The one closest to the wire is the one that goes to the tap.

You can confirm what I said with an ohmmeter.
post #20 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Ok so when I get home in a few hours hereís what Iím going to do.

Find an always on fuse in the trunk. Remove the fuse, plug in the tap, plug a fuse into the tap, strip the power cable from the tap connect the booster, ground it and see if thatís enough for the fob to turn the doors open.

Sound right?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Coupe/Convertible Forums > C209/A209 CLK-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in