LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2004 CLK 240 Coupe
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Early CLK with no engine oil dipstick supplied?

From around 2002 to 2006, on certain engines MB decided not to supply an engine oil dipstick with the car. Their thinking must have been that the job could be done just as well using the ’smart’ cluster. They were wrong about that, and on later models engine oil dipsticks were supplied. CLK owners can buy one on eBay, (referred to by MB as a ‘measuring tool’) with part number 120 589 07 21 00.

This tool cannot be installed permanently in the dipstick tube. It is too long, as it is used for several different engines. So hang it on the garage wall and consider it a tool.

Charts for the engines that I have found in the WIS are attached below. These show the correct engine oil level.

a) CLK240 (engine 112. 912) and CLK320 (engine 112.955)
b) CLK500 (engine 113.968)
c) CLK55AMG (engines 113.987 & 113.988)
d) CLK200k (engine 271)
e) CLK270 cdi (engine 612.967)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf W209 CLK240-CLK320 dipstick chart.pdf (134.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: pdf W209 CLK500 dipstick chart.pdf (131.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: pdf W209 CLK55AMG dipstick chart.pdf (143.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: pdf W209 CLK200k dipstick chart.pdf (371.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: pdf W209 CLK270 cdi dipstick chart.pdf (127.5 KB, 8 views)
rudeney and Benzyle like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 08:40 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2013
Vehicle: MY05 CLK55 AMG , MY05 CLK320,Former,C180 Kompressor,Jensen Healey,Ford Capri V6,Alfa GTV.
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Thanks Keyhole,,,
Further info from my observations ,,,I just did an oil change on my CLK55 ENGINE 113.988. Dipstick min 133mm and max 164mm.
I thoroughly drained as much oil as possible from both the front and rear drain plugs.
Most oil in the front section,,about 1 litre. will only drain after you remove the oil filter.
I carefully measured out and added exactly 8.5l to the engine. Then started it and let it idle for a few mins. Then stopped and waited 5 to 10 mins,
Dipstick tool measured about 155 mm.. and the MFD secret menu said oil level was 7.5l.
After a drive to bring engine up to temp , then waiting 10 mins ,,dipstick said 165mm approx. which is almost correct. ,, (precise readings are difficult to make ).

My conclusion is that the oil change quantity is different to the oil level given by the MFD.
The change quantity includes oil needed to fill the oil filter housing and other galleries ,,and is a greater amount than the MFD oil sensor level in the sump.
Do not be tempted to add more oil to your engine based on the MFD readout ,,,which is the oil amount in the sump , which is less than the change quantity.
eg ,,If I added an extra 1.0l based on the MFD , the engine would now be overfilled.

I am yet to check the MFD readout with oil at operating temp...I will post it soon,,,
I have also seen the same thing on my CLK320,,,that the MFD will show an amount which is about 0.7l less than the amount added.

My advice ,,measure and add the correct amount ,,,check with a dipstick if it makes you feel good ,,otherwise ,,don't look at the MFD secret menu and only add more oil between changes if the warning display tells you and the dipstick tool ,if you have one ,, confirms it is low.

Last edited by Benzyle; 06-16-2019 at 08:44 PM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2004 CLK 240 Coupe
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzyle View Post

My advice ,,measure and add the correct amount ,,,check with a dipstick if it makes you feel good ,,otherwise ,,don't look at the MFD secret menu and only add more oil between changes if the warning display tells you and the dipstick tool ,if you have one ,, confirms it is low.
I agree here. It was the delays before getting a MFD reading that drove me to get my own dipstick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 12:30 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: MY05 CLK55 AMG , MY05 CLK320,Former,C180 Kompressor,Jensen Healey,Ford Capri V6,Alfa GTV.
Ok ,,so I went for a drive ,,came back , waited ten minutes and checked the oil level with the MFD ...it said 7.9l .

I think that confirms that the MFD measurement gives the level in the sump , which is going to be less than the amount specified as a replacement when doing an oil and filter change.

I checked again with a dipstick ,this time I got 155mm ,,,as I said , it it is difficult to get a precise reading , maybe the earlier read was wrong , or vice versa.

Anyhow , I know I added 8.5l to a completely drained engine , and the MFD says oil level is OK ,,,so it's all good.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 09:30 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2019
Vehicle: 2004 clk55 convertible
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
The variability and lower confidence in the computer and dipstick measurements are not comforting. As overfill seems more
concerning than a little under, I don't agree with the many posts that say drain and add the full 9 quarts and be done with it.
I'm leaning towards adding 8 or a little more until I get a handle on this. Is the recommendation to drain for a full hour what works best?
I only have rhino ramps which lift 10 inches?, does everyone just let the drain occur with both front wheels on the ramps?
I've purchased the dipstick, but is it that accurate given the procedure to measure? This is wild for a fussy owner who works towards
perfection.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 03:25 PM
BenzWorld Elite

dgdrx, I do this , drive the car to normal temp , then start to drain both front and rear sump bolts asap. I have a level garage floor ,,I raise the front with small 2.5 inch wooden ramps , then I use a jack to raise it a bit more to help drain the bottom of the sump. I let it drip for about an hour or until it only drips about once every 30 seconds.While it is dripping change your filter and prepare your new oil.

I think the Germans probably have the amounts based on a car level on a lift , but I like to try and get as much old oil out as possible ,,and I think it is far better to get more out than leave extra behind. I would not be comfortable with extraction method out the tube,,,,and this doesn't work on the M113 AMG with a separate front section anyway.

Given that there is a 2.0l difference between minimum and maximum , there is a good margin to run just under maximum,, which is better than over maximum.
Sorry I use litres ,,,,not quarts ,,, but talking quarts I would say as long as you do a good drain from both sump bolts , you can easily add 8.5 quarts without a problem,,,
the metal dipstick is difficult to insert ,,it seems to hit obstructions ,,so I don't use it , I use a length of clear plastic tubing , I know this could give me variation due to flexing ,,but I also use it to sample the oil and see how it looks.

Measure out your desired quantity of new oil into other containers ,,I use clean plastic milk bottles , so you are certain of the quantity.

After that go for a drive , come back ,park level , wait ten minutes , and do a basic oil level check with the MFD ,,,if it says engine oil level is ok ,,, be happy at that.

Last edited by Benzyle; 06-21-2019 at 03:40 PM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 03:48 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

benzyle, thanks again, appreciate your support. I too wish to get out as much old oil as possible. You recall I had the valve cover
episode with the block blemish; I tried very hard to not let anything fall in the engine whilst cleaning the miserable sealant off the block but
it was impossible. I had a shopvac handy and towels covering the valves but it's quite a slope and a few tiny pieces of sealant "disappeared'
into the block. I worked a small section at a time stopping to clean best I could, so I'm confident just a few small pieces made it. Let's
hope the oil filter was earning it's keep and filtering anything that may have fallen in. The last fill was some sort of mobil-1 10w-30,
so I want all of it gone. By the way I've driven just 150 miles since the valve cover repair and all good so
far. The oil change is scheduled for tomorrow. I will mimic your procedure, just makes sense.
Benzyle likes this.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 12:39 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Well I've decided to wait on the oil change. I had added a can of liquimoly proline fuel system cleaner to the tank recently. I have
3/4th tank left. I'm going to run it down past 1/4th as I'm getting cold feet on the cleaner additives before or after the oil change.
Most seem to agree there is little chance of dilution or blow by to contaminate the oil and somehow compromise proper lubrication.
I just figure on the outside chance there could be some negative effect why risk it. I guess some additives suggest using after an oil change,
this one does not. Obviously some chemicals would be safer vs others. This topic is debated passionately by both camps so the choice is
up to the owner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Coupe/Convertible Forums > C209/A209 CLK-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in