post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 06:22 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2019
Vehicle: 2004 clk55 convertible
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
clk55 fuel line disconnect

Morning, changing drivers side valve cover gasket and wish to disconnect fuel line (never done before) to allow clearance so I can be assured new gasket positions and seats correctly. It's a pressurized system; I see the Schrader valve cap towards front passenger. Uncapping and releasing through the valve; how much pressure
is there, do I expect a strong spray? Also, how much fuel will be expelled, couple hand towels enough to catch. When complete, there will be no more fuel coming
out of the valve? Seems I then crack the 17mm nut/connector at the end of the braided fuel line; guessing a little will trickle from here also? I found a few references
but not a complete simply explained step by step. I'm uncomfortable with pressurized fuel not knowing what to expect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
so I braved the bleed myself from a pelican parts diy. disconnected the battery, pushed in the pressure release Schrader valve and a tiny tiny hiss and 1 drop of fuel...??
car has been sitting since past wed afternoon, so 4 days. Could I have lost pressure so fast and completely?
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 04:15 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2013
Vehicle: MY05 CLK55 AMG , MY05 CLK320,Former,C180 Kompressor,Jensen Healey,Ford Capri V6,Alfa GTV.
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Yes ,,I too have found only a small amount comes out the schrader valve,,
You will get a lot more come out the supply line ,,maybe 250ml ,,.

Mark the nut with a marker or scratch to show how much to tighten it back up when you are done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for everything, especially the diy links. I'm getting an education and gaining confidence with my tools (what normal person has a set of e-torx tools anyways...lol).
I did discover disconnecting the line at the rail yielded a fair amount of gas, had a trash bag and old towels at the ready. I've unfortunately discovered the reason for my leak.
I have an imperfection right above the half moon (cam) on the side. It is a slight dent with a slight depression that starts at the outer edge and will affect approximately half
of the gasket width where it will sit. That must explain why the previous service applied sealant. The sealant appeared to be mostly a clear product and was applied to the entire
gasket though in a very very thin film. I'm certain I will need a sealant also; but wondering if it should just be applied mostly to the area of the imperfection or maybe the entire
length of just that side. I'm thinking that should "even" the entire side between the metal to metal stops on the corners? I'm a little discouraged as I have only had the car
2 1/2 weeks. I work the next couple days so the clk will be infirmed until wed-thurs when I can try to sort this out. I have some Permatex ultra black sealant that I am considering
though many seem to prefer Loctite products.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 05:40 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: MY05 CLK55 AMG , MY05 CLK320,Former,C180 Kompressor,Jensen Healey,Ford Capri V6,Alfa GTV.
So , the dent /depression is in the head ?
I would say only put sealant over the dent and maybe just a smear 1 inch either way..
Cleanliness is critical ,,make sure you clean all traces of oil off the area with brake cleaner or non residue mineral turps.
Clear sealant is not usually used for engines,,,that could be a big part of the problem.
Use a quality gasket maker like I said in the other thread.

You can get tools like e torx etc on ebay ,cheap and quick.

Doing the breathers and vc gaskets is really a maintenance item on these M112 and M113 engines ,,,almost every one needs it done after about 10 or 12 years,,depending on mileage.

Last edited by Benzyle; 05-26-2019 at 05:51 PM.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 08:25 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2004 CLK 240 Coupe
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgdrx View Post
Morning, changing drivers side valve cover gasket ....
Hi - just to correct your terminology here, you have a CLK 550 that will have engine type 273. This engine does not have the crankcase ventilation covers, often referred to as valve covers in the M112/M113 engines. Those covers have no gasket and rely on Loctite sealant, plus screws.

You will have removed a cylinder head cover from your M273 engine.. This also does not need a gasket, just Loctite sealant, applied as detailed in the WIS document below.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf W209 273 r - i CH covers.pdf (1.77 MB, 3 views)
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 02:40 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Hi Keyhole ,,
Why do you think he has a CLK550 ?
Isn't 2004 too early for that car ? I thought they started in 2006 ....
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
That sounds quite reasonable. I just ordered the original MBZ "black " sealant that people rave about, Loctite 5970? Without over thinking this; any harm in a light quick wipe on the gasket a cleaner (brake cleaner too harsh?) in the area whre I will apply the sealant? Just making certain the gasket is extremely clean in the area I apply the sealant over the
imperfection. Any suggestions would also be appreciated. I understand both surfaces have to be absolutely well prepped and spotless.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 07:54 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Sounds ok to me ,,,
If you can please post a photo so we can see what you are talking about ,,,and confirm what type of engine you have..
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 01:39 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2004 CLK 240 Coupe
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzyle View Post
Hi Keyhole ,,
Why do you think he has a CLK550 ?
Isn't 2004 too early for that car ? I thought they started in 2006 ....
My bad here... just a careless lookup by me. However, as a CLK55 AMG it should have engine type 113.987 or 988.

As a penance I'll post the correct WIS document.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf W209 112 113 r - i crankcase vent cover.pdf (925.9 KB, 11 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Coupe/Convertible Forums > C209/A209 CLK-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in