LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: May 2019
Vehicle: CLK200 W209 Kompressor 2002
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
How to trust Automatic Transmission (722.6)

Hello everybody,

This is my first post and a long one, for start Well, I'm Duarte from Lisbon, Portugal, and I have a CLK200 Kompressor.

Well, I'm asking for little piece of advice, concerning the automatic transmission if you may. The post is a little long.

Here is the story:
I've bought my CLK200 Kompressor in the last year. Made the trip (about 124 miles) and everything was fine. Smooth gear change, no clunks, strange sound, etc. The previous owner told me that he made the transmission service (fluid and filter).

During next weeks I've made about 250 more miles and everything stayed fine. Then, when I was making a trip in the highway, at a 80mph more or so, i decided to stop at the service station for a coffee. When i was slowing down, the car
start shaking with a horrible grinding sound from below and burnt smell. Massive transmission failure.

I've bought another trasmission and torque converter, both used, and asked my regular mechanic to fit them on the car. (He never worked with automatic transmissions before). He done the job fairly good, I must say. Then we put the fluid, swap filter, etc.
I guess It had to had more fluid, but he thought it was Ok.

Another 250 more miles and everything was good when.... When coming from another trip, near home, when slowing down, another damn grinding noise from below. AGAIN! Transmission bits and metal in the pan.

My conviction is that the transmission needed more fluid. I can remember in the highway, this time, that I thought the car was stuck in 4th, because the revs were high to the speed.

I've changed, again, with another transmission and torque! Changed also de radiator to a Behr and cleaned everything. My regular mechanic fit it all, we added the fluid.

After that, I took the car to the dealer to flush the system again, and change oil and filter again.

Everything looks smooth, soft gear change, etc. The question is that now I have a little fear of using the car in longer trips.

Was I just an unlucky bastard, or should I fear that another problem is making my w209 blowing the transmissions? If so, what?

What can I do to trust my car again?

Thank you very much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 12:23 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Aug 2017
Vehicle: 2006 CLK 350 Convertible
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
You fail to mention how many miles are on this vehicle. If fluid and filter changes are done on a regular basis, automatic transmissions usually give years and miles of service. What you are describing is what seems like a transmission that has not been serviced properly or has been abused. Before you dropped in the second transmission you should have flushed the system to remove any crap in the lines and radiator cooler. I am thinking that the second transmission was corrupted by junk still in the system. I am hoping when you changed the radiator and flushed the system you got all the crap out when installing the third transmission. If you want to be really safe, drop the pan again and see how it looks. Good luck.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: May 2019
Vehicle: CLK200 W209 Kompressor 2002
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorj View Post
You fail to mention how many miles are on this vehicle. If fluid and filter changes are done on a regular basis, automatic transmissions usually give years and miles of service. What you are describing is what seems like a transmission that has not been serviced properly or has been abused. Before you dropped in the second transmission you should have flushed the system to remove any crap in the lines and radiator cooler. I am thinking that the second transmission was corrupted by junk still in the system. I am hoping when you changed the radiator and flushed the system you got all the crap out when installing the third transmission. If you want to be really safe, drop the pan again and see how it looks. Good luck.
Hi there, gorj!

Thank you very much for the reply!

The car is almost 150k miles, but no service history . You are absolute right! I never thought that the debris could damage the other trans but it makes sense. In the last one, all system was flushed. I'll do what you sugest, drop the pan to see if there are any metal in the fluid / magnet.

Thank you very vey much. I really want to gain confidence with the car, because I really enjoy it very much
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 03:33 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2013
Vehicle: MY05 CLK55 AMG , MY05 CLK320,Former,C180 Kompressor,Jensen Healey,Ford Capri V6,Alfa GTV.
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
If you drop the pan again you may as well fit a new filter again to be sure.
You must have a clean filter to have good fluid flow and avoid overheating..
Also be sure to set the level correctly using the correct dipstick and procedure.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 03:35 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Aug 2017
Vehicle: 2006 CLK 350 Convertible
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
I enjoy mine almost every day. It is my daily driver. When the weather is good the top never goes up, except to wash it. I have a little over 140,000 on mine and it runs beautifully. I have a road car for trips, so the CLK rarely sees much over 75 MPH or longer than 50 mile trips. Hope all goes well with you.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 12:42 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2004 CLK 240 Coupe
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by duda View Post

I've bought another trasmission and torque converter, both used, and asked my regular mechanic to fit them on the car. (He never worked with automatic transmissions before). He done the job fairly good, I must say. Then we put the fluid, swap filter, etc.
I guess It had to had more fluid, but he thought it was OK.
I think that you were very 'trusting' to allow a mechanic who knew nothing about auto transmissions near your car.

Servicing a 722.6 transmission needs a special dipstick with markings at normal and working temperatures. I doubt that he he knew that the ATF level is checked with the engine running. You must use the MB procedure when servicing this complex system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Coupe/Convertible Forums > C209/A209 CLK-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in