Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 10:24 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2014
Vehicle: 2008 AMG CLK63 Conv., 2012 R350 4-Matic, Wife's 2015 C300 sedan
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2488 Post(s)
Looks tidy enough and at least it's a hardtop so no convertible roof gremlins to worry about.

Hope it works out well. The 350 is quite a pleasant ride. Not a 63 (and we have or at least had) both, but quick enough for most.

"Semper In excretio, solum profundum variat" - unknown
They called me mad, and I called them mad, and damn them, they outvoted me" - Nathaniel Lee
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 03:45 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2013
Vehicle: MY05 CLK55 AMG , MY05 CLK320,Former,C180 Kompressor,Jensen Healey,Ford Capri V6,Alfa GTV.
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
^^ Agreed,,,also 2009 is well after the balance shaft issue,,,and the transmission should be better as well....
good luck...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 03:46 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2013
Vehicle: MY05 CLK55 AMG , MY05 CLK320,Former,C180 Kompressor,Jensen Healey,Ford Capri V6,Alfa GTV.
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
AMG body pack too...
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 06:15 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2014
Vehicle: 2007 C230
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzyle View Post
AMG body pack too...
Quote:
^^ Agreed,,,also 2009 is well after the balance shaft issue,,,and the transmission should be better as well....
good luck...
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWantedaJag View Post
Looks tidy enough and at least it's a hardtop so no convertible roof gremlins to worry about.

Hope it works out well. The 350 is quite a pleasant ride. Not a 63 (and we have or at least had) both, but quick enough for most.
Thanks guys! Working on getting it here from Houston - more as soon as I can tear into it!
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 07:01 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
AMG body pack too...
'Cept the front bumper - no little slash vents on the sides.

I happen to have one of those for sale, needing a good rub-down a bit of bondo and a respray, but no splits or cracks, doesn't have the parking sensor holes....

And in Houston too.

This is a stock internet photo BTW, my CLK63 is black.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MERCEDES-BENZ-CLK-63-AMG-Cabrio--A209--1600_22.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	2510290  

They called me mad, and I called them mad, and damn them, they outvoted me" - Nathaniel Lee
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
I'll keep it in mind, but I think I'll have a long list of issues to deal with once I get the care here.

Quote:
'Cept the front bumper - no little slash vents on the sides.

I happen to have one of those for sale, needing a good rub-down a bit of bondo and a respray, but no splits or cracks, doesn't have the parking sensor holes....

And in Houston too.

This is a stock internet photo BTW, my CLK63 is black.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 05:09 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewtoy View Post
I'll keep it in mind, but I think I'll have a long list of issues to deal with once I get the care here.
Strongly suggest that if you haven't got one already you buy yourself something like an iCarSoft MB-II scanner. You'll also need a set of Torx allen keys, male and female torx sockets.

Anything to do with MAFs, O2 sensors, etc. bear in mind the thermostats, or rather the temperature sensors fixed within them, have a habit of failing, especially if the car's been parked up a while, leading to all sorts of spurious fault codes as that temperature sensor is what the ECU uses to determine engine temperature and therefore how much fuel the injectors should be injecting for any given foot on the gas pedal position. if that doesn't correlate with what it sees from the )2 sensors in the tailpipe it senses something's wrong and often reports it as the O2 sensors and / or catalyst when it's actually the temperature sensor in the thermostat causing the problems

Ignition coils can go too. There's one coil on top each spark plug. If you've got a bad one you could just replace that one, but they often fail in rapid succession one after the other. It's old age, nothing more.

Thermostat, MAF, camshaft position sensors and coils are all easy driveway DIY jobs. O2 sensors (if they really need doing) should be do-able too, you'll just need jackstands to get under the car. A low profile hydraulic jack helps. Crankshaft position sensor is a pig I am told, however.

The serpentine belts and / or pulleys can fail from 45k miles and up, and it's worth checking both the idler pulleys and the tensioner pulley for "notchy" turning or excessive along-the-shaft or radial movement when you do the belt.

Other than that on the hardtops there aren't really that many things that go wrong other than mileage related wear and tear / old age.

CLKs are notoriously hard on tires too.

Get to know www.genuinemercedesparts.com and www.autohausaz.com if you don't already.
chewtoy likes this.

post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Red face Thanks Jag!

Quote:
Strongly suggest that if you haven't got one already you (...)

Get to know www.genuinemercedesparts.com and www.autohausaz.com if you don't already.
Hey Jag, thanks for the tips! Not sure what the deal is with this car, it looks to have been chick owned, so it's been neglected for sure. I expect to at the least replace the coils, plugs, and now pulleys and serp. belt. And of course getting all the fluids changed out and the maintenance up to date.

Am interested in getting a appropriate scanner. Have heard about iCarSoft and Autel, as well as used Star scanners. I'll spend $ for a good value. Also want one that'll work with my Volvos and other cars. Anyone with constructive thoughts on what to buy are welcome.

For parts, I have been using eeuroparts and fcpeuro. Both have forever guarantees on their stuff - including plugs, filters, and fluids (!) Will bookmark www.genuinemercedesparts.com and www.autohausaz.com

Thanks!
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 10:37 AM
BenzWorld Elite

I wouldn't worry about the coils or plugs unless they give trouble. My wife's 350 had 105K miles on her original plugs before the parked the thing in a hole on a construction site and sent it off to the great parking lot in the sky. The coils only got done, by me, probably because I was trying to eradicate false indications from the thermostat.

I just changed all the fluids on my 63. With the possible exception of the transmission, which is really a shop job unless you're a very good home mechanic, it's easy enough and don't be fooled into thinking you need genuine "made from fresh, gathered under the light of a harvest moon virgin unicorn pee" anti-freeze etc. any more than you need fresh German mountain air for your tires! Plenty of advice here on AutoZone type equivalents.

The iCarsoft MB-II is tuned for Mercedes but any of the higher end Autels will probably do just as well.
chewtoy likes this.

Last edited by IWantedaJag; 05-07-2019 at 10:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Coupe/Convertible Forums > C209/A209 CLK-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in