post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2017
Vehicle: 2008 CLK-350 Convertible
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Wired? Not wired? Mongo not know . . .

Looking at the spec sheet last night (yes, I know I have too much time on my hands) I find option 387 "Mobile pre-installation (MTUS) USA/Canada".

Does this mean the car is pre-wired for a phone and "all" I need is to get the cradle for the console between the seats?

If so, 1) where are the connectors hiding,

2) what cell phones can I use with this (are the cradles cell-phone specific or one size fits all)?

3) Is all this even really worth fiddling with considering I bought a Schosche Bluetooth cell phone to FM adaptor for three whole dollars at the local flea market last Sunday (new in the box, guaranteed 10 feet or 10 seconds)?

And considering that I don't like talking on the phone anyway, and in the car, the phone invariably rings when I am on I-95 in a construction zone sandwiched between a tractor-trailer and some munchkin in a ratty old mini-pickup and it is raining and at night and I really don't need to be reminded at this exact moment to stop and pick up a loaf of bread or a dozen eggs, do I even want to do this if it IS possible?

(I will know when I am rich when I don't really care what gasoline costs and I can totally ignore all telephones. I'm working on it . . . )

Best Regards,

Mike/Florida
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 11:13 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2014
Vehicle: 2008 AMG CLK63 Conv., 2012 R350 4-Matic, Wife's 2015 C300 sedan
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2495 Post(s)
You will need the following:

Bluetooth puck - goes in the center console - just sold mine on Fleabay - the going rate is about $100.
Bluetooth puck wiring harness - fits into a pop-out in the back of the center console storage bin liner and connects to the wiring pre-installed underneath - $100-ish from the stealership - If that wiring's not there, forget it.
Bluetooth control module - I happen to have one of these but not sure if it works or if it's the right one for your car -if you want to try it send me $20 to cover postage and you can have it.

The wiring should be in the trunk under the floor liner, popping out somewhere on the passenger side in the front area of the spare wheel well. If that's not there, forget it.

Then all you have to do is fit everything and take a trip to the stealership for them to code everything in. I THINK.

Do a search under my name and Rudeney or Keyhole posted up the detailed instructions some time in the last 6 months or so.

"Semper In excretio, solum profundum variat" - unknown
They called me mad, and I called them mad, and damn them, they outvoted me" - Nathaniel Lee
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 04:48 PM

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2010 ML350 FORMER: 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet, 2002 C240, 2001 ML320, 1984 300TD
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1665 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Code 387 is the "pre-wiring" which is on all cars with TeleAid. This is just means the car has the wiring harnesses necessary to plug in about $1,000 worth of parts to get the cell phone interface working.

--

- RODNEY

So you want to send me a private message? Please read this first:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Stable:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 06:09 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Mama Mia!

Solution A: Continue as before, just don't talk on the phone when I drive. (Preferred solution)

Solution B: Try out the $3 Bluetooth phone adaptor from the flea market when I get around to it. (and I am NOT hugely motivated)

Solution C: Find a wrecked CLK with all the parts, buy the car cheap as salvage, pull what I need and install. (not bloody likely)

Solution D: Buy a brand new 2019 0r 2020 MB roadster just so Dear Bride can call me on the car phone to remind me to buy a loaf of bread or a dozen eggs on the way home. (Ain't happ'nen, dudes, fugeddaboutit)

Real world: Solution A or Solution B, if I eventually upgrade the Comand system (someday) with one of the new $1,000 aftermarket all-singing-all-dancing radios that come with BT, OK, that's a bonus.

Decision - ignore for now, put on lowest priority and don't sweat it. I have LOTS of more important things to fiddle with than this.

Best Regards,

Silent Mike/Florida
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 08:14 AM

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2010 ML350 FORMER: 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet, 2002 C240, 2001 ML320, 1984 300TD
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1665 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
I'll add solution "E" - buy an aftermarket adapter that plugs int and emulates the MBZ phone interface. They are becoming harder to find as most manufactures have quit making them due to lack of demand. There seem to be two variations of these. One is a box that replaces the CD changer and emulates it for both a phone and iPod (or flash drive) interface. These do not use the phone buttons on the radio or steering wheel, but instead use the CD changer buttons for calls. Others do much the same thing, but do use the car's native phone buttons and even the phone book download feature. However, none of them seem to interface with the OE mic built into the car so you have to use their external mic, and those are not as good as the OE mic.

I had an mCar unit (no longer made) and it worked fairly well, even offering Bluetooth audio streaming. Here's another similar option:

https://www.dension.com/automotive/p...ateway-500s-bt

--

- RODNEY

So you want to send me a private message? Please read this first:

My Stable:

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Bah Humbug. Sorry, I'm not available, try back later.

I'm just not going to talk on the phone. I don't want to give up the CD changer because I prefer Bach to Babble any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

The $3.00 flea market special turned out to be broken, so did the other two the vendor had (and one of the boxes was just plain empty) so I was given the $3.00 back. (Whoopie.) I suppose I could have made some kind of adaptor connecting the terminals and figured out how to kludge it together, but I really have a sufficient number of more important projects to fool with.

If I decide to revisit this at all, I'll go with the plug-in hands free adaptors that all all over eBay for $20 or so. I just don't need or want to talk on the phone enough when I'm in the car to make this worth fiddling with.

Best Regards,

Silent Mike/Florida
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Coupe/Convertible Forums > C209/A209 CLK-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in