How is the instrument Cluster failure related to a dead battery? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2013
Vehicle: '74 450SL, '05 CLK320, '18 GLC, '19 Alfa Giulia Sport, '06 Ferrari 612, '98 Ferrari F355, '70 Bronco
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
How is the instrument Cluster failure related to a dead battery?

I posted this on an earlier thread but wasn't getting any traction so I thought I'd start a new one for what seems to be a somewhat common problem.

On my '05 CLK320, my instrument cluster and steering wheel controls dies on me following the replacement of a dead battery. Everything was working fine until then. Battery died. (not the first time I have replaced the battery but never this issue). Replaced the battery and went to start her up and the entire instrument cluster is dead as well as the steering wheel controls. The headlights come on automatically all the time and will not go to high beam. Clock ran backwards and stopped at 10:15. Pulled the 42 fuse and left out overnight. No improvement. When to hook up my code reader but it can not connect to the ECU. There is communication with my plugin but no ECU connection so I can't pull any codes. Radio works with dimmed read out, heater and AC work. Turn signals work but do not show on the dash.

In earlier posts, there is talk of the instrument cluster failing however I'm thinking that its too convenient for this to be an instrument cluster failure at the exact time my battery fails and with what should be other unrelated systems failing as well? Is there some reset that I am missing? I saw on the E forum that those cars have 2 batteries and this happens when one of them fails - but my CLK has only 1 battery and that is new.

Thoughts on what I am missing and how to reset the system? Checked all the fuses and disconnected and reconnected the battery.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 06:47 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2016
Vehicle: 2009 CLK 350
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Have you checked the new battery. 12.5V when car shut down, 11V when cranking and 14.5V when idling after start.

All your symptoms sound like under voltage gremlins.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Vehicle: '74 450SL, '05 CLK320, '18 GLC, '19 Alfa Giulia Sport, '06 Ferrari 612, '98 Ferrari F355, '70 Bronco
(Thread Starter)
I was thinking that however, I haven't specifically checked it with a meter. I do have a phone charger that plugs into the lighter/accessory plug that shows the voltage. It shows 14.5 most of the time while running and around the 11V range when starting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 06:38 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2015
Vehicle: 2005 CLK320
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
I had a similar issue years back it was not as bad only effected the instrument cluster. I used Star SDS cleared the error codes and it has bin working since.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Well, no long term improvement on this issue. A couple of days ago, I started the car and as if by magic everything was working properly. The entire instrument cluster was back up, headlight switch was working and the steering wheel controls functioned. It now was showing the P0600 code. I drove the car for about 6 miles when all of a sudden, the center gauge (Speedometer) digital readout in the center (the one that shows speed, radio channel, etc) when completely white, which was different than completely dark. When I stopped the car, the dash would not shut off.

About 4 hours later when I went back to the car, the center was completely red and giving off an excessive temperature warning. The car by this time was completely cold so it was in error. Nothing else on the dash was functioning. I drove the car home and disconnected and reconnected the battery and it went back to the blank dash again.

Obviously this is something electrical, and not just a malfunctioning instrument cluster. Some sore of ground fault, loose connection or the like. Anyone have thoughts on this and where I should look? Again this all started when I replaced a dead battery. Everything was functioning properly before then. The battery looks to be reading between 13.9 - 14.2 volts while running.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 07:03 PM

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2010 ML350 FORMER: 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet, 2002 C240, 2001 ML320, 1984 300TD
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1685 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
It could be a CAN bus issue. Check the front SAM for water intrusion. Also, there is a CAN bus junction under the driver's door sill trim. It can get wet and corrode the contacts and cause issues.

--

- RODNEY

So you want to send me a private message? Please read this first:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Stable:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
I was finally able to locate my OBD II reader with the Mercedes information. I'm getting 3 codes on this issue:
P203E-004 No CAN Message from Instrument Cluster or Message Faulty.
P203E-064 No CAN message from Instrument Cluster.
P2315 One or more messages from Control Unit A1 (Instrument Cluster) are not available on the CAN bus.

This might as well be Greek to me. All of this came about when I changed a battery. Nothing else. I replaced that battery today with a new one just to see if it was a battery issue and the instrument cluster is still dead as well as the steering wheel controls. Since the problem did go away for a bit a month ago, I know the cluster still works but there is some other short here.

Excuse my ignorance but what is the CAN bus? rudeney mentioned it in the previous post and it seems to be related to that. I'm going to research but any help here would be greatly appreciated.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 07:07 AM

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2010 ML350 FORMER: 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet, 2002 C240, 2001 ML320, 1984 300TD
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1685 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Your car is full of task-specific computers. The instrument cluster is a computer that recognizes signals from other systems int he car and then displays that information in it gauges and lights. Even the doors have computers that read signals from other buttons like the key fob, mirror control, window switches, etc. and react accordingly. The CAN (controller area network) is what connects all of these and allows them to communicate with each other. The CAN is not a single part, but just a network of wire. Your car actually has multiple, separate CANs - one for the accessories (CAN B) and one for the engine electronics (CAN C). The cluster uses data from both of them. The EIS (ignition switch) is sort of a "hub" that can cross signals between the two.

Since your errors are all with the instrument cluster, I suspect it may be bad. Here are a few things I'd do. First, check fuse 42 - pull it for a few minutes to allow the cluster to reset. Pull the cluster and check the wiring harness behind it. Erase the codes and see which ones return. If none of that helps, then I think the next step would be to replace the cluster. I'd buy a used one and try it - but don't drive the car with it as you'll lose the odometer. If that works, then I'd send it off to have its odometer zeroed, then it can be coded to the car.

--

- RODNEY

So you want to send me a private message? Please read this first:

My Stable:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Coupe/Convertible Forums > C209/A209 CLK-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in