LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 03:51 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: May 2015
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question 2009 CLK350 Contvertible

Buying a used 2009 CLK350 convertible from a private party. This is our first experience with Mercedes. Is there anyone who can run a carfax check? Vin is WDBTK56F89F265063. Also, in this forums opinion would it be a good idea to have the car checked out before purchase? The car has about 48000 miles and looks pretty clean on the outside and inside. Anyone have any recommendations on fair price for the car? Also the tires mounted on the back rims are the incorrect size. The seller indicated the wrong tires size were put on the car, but the rims are the correct size rims for the rear. Is it possible to have the smaller width tire mounted on the back rims? Should I be concerned?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 04:20 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2012
Vehicle: 2004 CLK 500
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
It should have staggared fitmentment wheels on that car. I'm assuming a 2009 has18 inch wheels. Should have 225/ 40r 18 front and 255/35r 18 rear.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 06:13 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2004
Vehicle: 03 CLK55 Coupe
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetodrive View Post
Buying a used 2009 CLK350 convertible from a private party. This is our first experience with Mercedes. Is there anyone who can run a carfax check? Vin is WDBTK56F89F265063. Also, in this forums opinion would it be a good idea to have the car checked out before purchase? The car has about 48000 miles and looks pretty clean on the outside and inside. Anyone have any recommendations on fair price for the car? Also the tires mounted on the back rims are the incorrect size. The seller indicated the wrong tires size were put on the car, but the rims are the correct size rims for the rear. Is it possible to have the smaller width tire mounted on the back rims? Should I be concerned?
The 2009 W209 CLK is probably the most reliable since it is the last year of the CLK line. All issues have been addressed by MB. Since this is your first experience with a MB, you need this experience to be a good one. At the end of the day you do not want to have second thoughts about your purchase. The more information you can obtain the more at ease you will feel.

- You have made the correct first step, search the W209 CLK 350 forum and read about the problems and issues the owners have experienced. If the car has had problems someone on the forum will have posted the problem and resolution.

- Is this the original owner?

- Why are they selling the car?

-Any car can look good from the outside, unfortunately problems will start to avail themselves if the car has underlying mechanical issues shortly after the purchase.

- Without a doubt you need to have a comprehensive pre-purchase inspection conducted on this car. If you do not have a trusted independent garage take it to a MB dealership, preferably one you intend to do business with.

- Everything on these cars are electronic and nothing breaks cheap on a MB. Oil changes from the dealership run $250.00, "A" service runs ~$500.00 and "B" service runs ~$750.00. If you are a DIY maintenance and repairs will be much cheaper.

- Purchasing from a private party has a number of risks since you will be buying as-is probably with no warranty at all.

- Obtain all service, maintenance records and parts receipts from the owner and the garage or dealership he did business with. The records will give you insight as to how the car has been maintained.

- The CARFAX report will cost you $40.00 which is cheap insurance, to ensure the car has not been salvaged, flooded or involved in a major accident.

- Using Kelley Blue Book and a rating the car as good condition the price was $20,552.00 You did not say the condition of the paint, convertible top, interior, operation of all the electronics (AC, heater, stereo system, convertible top, cruise control, power seats, lights, etc...)

- Does the car come with two keys (the keys cost ~$250.00 each)? Do both keys work? Does this car have Keyless-Go? Those keys cost ~$320.00 each. If the car has keyless-Go make sure it functions, since that system can be very expensive to repair. The dealer is the only place keys can be purchased from.

- I would be concerned about the tires. Why are the wrong size tires installed? This is not something a person does that keeps their car in good repair. Someone trying to take the cheap way out with tires, what else has not been taken care of properly?

Do yourself a favor take your time, get all the information you can, then negotiate a price you are comfortable with. One of the safest ways to buy a MB is to buy certified used from a MB dealership. You will get a warranty and the dealership will have certified ALL systems are operating properly and the car will have good tires + they will offer you an extended warranty (buy it, it is cheap insurance). Did I mention everything on this car is electronic and nothing breaks cheap?

Just my $.02
CoffeeGuy14 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 07:50 PM

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2010 ML350 FORMER: 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet, 2002 C240, 2001 ML320, 1984 300TD
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 1717 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
There's a saying that goes, "There's nothing more expensive to own than a cheap, used Mercedes-Benz." My advice is this: If you are a relatively skilled DIYer and have the facilities and tolls (or are willing to invest in tolls), then buy it. If you are not, but you are willing to spend money on a good mechanic (dealer or indy), then buy it. If you are expecting to buy an "appliance" that you just put gas an oil in, then look elsewhere.

--

- RODNEY

So you want to send me a private message? Please read this first:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Stable:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 09:15 PM
Outstanding Contributor Always Remembered RIP

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryConn View Post
It should have staggared fitmentment wheels on that car. I'm assuming a 2009 has18 inch wheels. Should have 225/ 40r 18 front and 255/35r 18 rear.
According to it's vin # it is fitted thus;

R88 LIGHT-ALLOY-WHEEL 6-DOUBLESPOKE DESIGN 17"TIRE MIX
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2015, 02:50 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2012
Vehicle: 2004 CLK 500
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric242340 View Post
According to it's vin # it is fitted thus;

R88 LIGHT-ALLOY-WHEEL 6-DOUBLESPOKE DESIGN 17"TIRE MIX
For some reason I thought it was a 550, anyway, then it should have 225/45r17 front 245/40r17 rear
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 09:07 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2012
Vehicle: 2018 C-300 Convertible
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I purchased mine about two years ago from a Lexus dealer. I got what I thought was a good deal, traded in my 2005 CLK. My oil changes have been running me in the neighborhood of @100 .00 from an Indie to $150.00 at my MB dealer.

I use my as a daily driver and major trip car. Great ride and mileage, getting 24-25 back and forth to town and 27-28 on the interstate. Can't beat the handling and comfort. I've got a 2015 Cherokee Limited, but drive the CLK 350 convertible whenever we can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Coupe/Convertible Forums > C209/A209 CLK-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in