post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jan 2011
Vehicle: 2006 CLK350
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2006 CLK350 POWER STEERING FLUID FLUSH

I am about to do my first steering fluid flush.
I bought 2 liters of Pentosine CHF11S (green bottle and green fluid)
I plan to use the turkey baster method.
[ Suck up old fluid from reservoir. fill up with new fluid. Turn the engine on. turn several times the steering wheel to left then to right til it locks. turn off the engine ]
Repeat all steps until I use the 2 liters.

I am aware of the other method where you disconnect the reservoir return hose (the one that fills the reservoir not the one that suck up fluid out of it). you start the car and keep filling the reservoir as fluid is drain through the hose. try to maintain constant level. Fluid should never drain completely from reservoir otherwise air will go in the steering circuit.

my questions:
- the current fluid in PS reservoir is light brownish almost yellow. the previous owner used to service the car at the MB dealer. I assume it's the original MB PS fluid. Is it safe to mix it with the Pentosine CHF11S? yellow fluid mixed with green fluid.
- what is the best/easiest method between the 2 ? Do you know any better method to flush?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 01:17 PM

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2010 ML350 FORMER: 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet, 2002 C240, 2001 ML320, 1984 300TD
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1665 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
It probably started out as green originally, but it does get contaminated with use. Mine is also sort of a yellowish brown, too. My understanding is the Pentosin is the OEM supplier.

--

- RODNEY

So you want to send me a private message? Please read this first:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Stable:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-17-2014, 12:36 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2014
Vehicle: 2005 CLK320, 2009 E350
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
http://www.amazon.com/Pentosin-CHF-Synthetic-Hydraulic-Fluid/dp/B002WTHW26

This is what we want correct?

Thanks,
-Nigel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-17-2014, 04:53 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2003
Vehicle: 2004 CLK320
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Steering fluid flush?
What is the recommended schedule to change this fluid?
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-17-2014, 07:07 PM

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2010 ML350 FORMER: 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet, 2002 C240, 2001 ML320, 1984 300TD
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1665 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
That's it, Nigel!

As for the PS fluid flush schedule, there really isn't one. It is simply to be checked and topped-up at each B service. However, some people like to do some preventative fluid changes.

--

- RODNEY

So you want to send me a private message? Please read this first:

My Stable:

post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-18-2014, 03:25 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2013
Vehicle: MY05 CLK55 AMG , MY05 CLK320,Former,C180 Kompressor,Jensen Healey,Ford Capri V6,Alfa GTV.
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
In my experience the MB original fluid is yellow when new and becomes yellowy brown when old.
Febi Bilstein fluid is also a genuine MB fluid. Bevo spec is 236.3 .MB part no is A0009898803.
I change it about once every three years. I think this helps prevent leaks or other malfunctions in the system.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 02:49 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2009
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Hi guys, I drive a CLK320 2004 (W209). About the power steering, I looked into the reservoir and didn't see any filter. Is there a filter we should change when flushing the hydraulic fluid?
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 04:23 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2013
Vehicle: MY05 CLK55 AMG , MY05 CLK320,Former,C180 Kompressor,Jensen Healey,Ford Capri V6,Alfa GTV.
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
No,no filter to worry about.
Remember the car companies don't even have ps fluid changes in their maintenance schedule,so only the cars maintained by their diligent owners ever get new fluid.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 11:31 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Thanks for the info. This is how I would flush the power steering. Not sure if anyone out there did this way. Let me know if you see anything wrong with that: 1) Raise the front of the car and use a turkey baster to remove as much fluid as I can from the reservoir. 2) I would then fill it up with new fluid. 3) Disconnect the low pressure hose near the reservoir where that hose connects to a metal pipe. 4) Connect a short hose to that metal pipe and the other end of the hose to a jar to collect the old fluid. 5) Crank the car for a few seconds, so some old fluid come up from the bottom. 6) Fill the reservoir again with new fluid. 7) Repeat step 5 until most old fluid (about 1 quarter) is collected in the jar. I will be using Pentosin CHF 11s which is green color. My old fluid is like amber color. So, I would see the difference in the collection jar.
Comments are welcome.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-01-2015, 01:09 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Hi guys, I'm afraid I'm in trouble. I just replaced the power steering fluid of my Mercedes CLK320 using the turkey baster method by sucking the old fluid, turning the wheels lock to lock, wheels off the ground, refilling the reservoir several times until most fluid were replaced. I used the recommended fluid replacement, Pentosin CHF 11s, After turning the engine on and off for a second or so, I rechecked the fluid level to find it was full of bubbles, like foaming. I repeated the process turning the wheels lock to lock, turned the car on and off again and it is still foaming. When turning the wheels with engine on (for a few seconds) heard a groaning sound. I stopped at that point. I am concern to continue and cannot even drive the car until I'm sure I didn't do any damage. Can someone help me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Coupe/Convertible Forums > C209/A209 CLK-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in