post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 2002 CLK320 W209
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Electric front seat headrest stuck up

My driver's seat headrest is in the fully up position, and not responding to the 'down' switch. Passenger side is all working fine. I've seen this general problem mentioned quite a few times on the forums, usually with slightly varying symptoms. These are mine:
- The rest retracts fully when I tip the seat forward, and extends fully when I tip it back again.
- When I press the up switch I can hear (a relay?) under the seat go click.....click..click. (I also hear this on the passenger side, when its fully extended).
- When I press the down switch I hear nothing. (The passenger side also makes no noise, pressing the down switch when it is fully *retracted*).
- Immediately after locking the seat back, while the rest is *still extending*, if I press the up switch then it stops part way. I can't make it stop by pressing the down switch, only the up. (Mind you, after doing this, *none* of the driver's seat switches work until I tip seat forward/back again, and let the rest extend fully!)

Before seeing all the similar posts I had been assuming it was a faulty switch, and that still does seem to best fit my symptoms. But I'm reluctant to chuck it at the dealer and perhaps end up paying for un-necessary parts.
Anyone got any ideas of other things to try...?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 10:18 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2010
Vehicle: 2004 CLK 320
I have this same problem. When I bought the car it was at the right height so I never even thought of it.

Then my son found the console switch and moved his headrest up and down. He then did it on his side (the passenger side) with his switch and no problem. I then tried mine and no movement whatsoever. Again, it's not a major problem for me as it's set right for my head. But, I'd like it to work.

I'll be watching the thread for any ideas!
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 12:28 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2004 CLK 240 Coupe
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by colh View Post
Before seeing all the similar posts I had been assuming it was a faulty switch, and that still does seem to best fit my symptoms. But I'm reluctant to chuck it at the dealer and perhaps end up paying for un-necessary parts.
I think that you are right in your assumption here.

The headrest is retracting when you fold the seat by an alternative mechanism (Hall effect sensor?) but that does prove that the motor & module is OK.

All that leaves is the up/down switch on the door & cabling. You have checked the underseat connectors, I'm sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 12:55 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2009
Vehicle: 2004 CLK 500 Previously: 2001 CLK 430
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I have the same issue, drivers headrest stuck in the top position, and the switch causes no response, underseat connectors? I'll have to look for those. Is there a manual way to get it down?

Oh you have a Mercedes....you think you're better than me? No, but I have a better car
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 03:25 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Jun 2010
Vehicle: 1999 SL500, 2004 CLK500, 2006 Cadillac SRX
Do a search on seat controller. My passenger seat headrest was fully extended with the seat tipped forward and was jammed against the windshield. The seat controller is easily accessable - under the seat with all motors plugging into it. Find the headrest motor plug, unplug it and put power to it to run it down. You'll probably should check the wire diagram.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Unlike any other.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 05:55 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: 2005 CLK55 AMG CABRIOLET
Quote:
Originally Posted by 560sec944 View Post
Do a search on seat controller. My passenger seat headrest was fully extended with the seat tipped forward and was jammed against the windshield. The seat controller is easily accessable - under the seat with all motors plugging into it. Find the headrest motor plug, unplug it and put power to it to run it down. You'll probably should check the wire diagram.
i had the same exact problem. headrest was fully extended and jammed against the windshield.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 07:39 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2010
Vehicle: 2004 CLK 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by 560sec944 View Post
The seat controller is easily accessable - under the seat with all motors plugging into it. Find the headrest motor plug, unplug it and put power to it to run it down. You'll probably should check the wire diagram.
Where might I/we find the wiring diagram?
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 12:59 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Jun 2010
Vehicle: 1999 SL500, 2004 CLK500, 2006 Cadillac SRX
Good question - maybe Keyhole has it in pdf?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Unlike any other.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 07:25 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2004 CLK 240 Coupe
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Hi Guys - yes I have found the circuit details for ESA (electric seat adjustment). They are spread over 3 pages, with the legend.

I also have had my headrest stuck at the top once when the driver's seat was folded. I managed to force it back, but it was a scare! Since then - no problems.

While searching for this seat position control module (N32/1 and N32/2) circuit, I read something in the WIS about the 'block' feature (stopping the motors with memory) and the seat 'normalize' feature. This is news to me today. I have read nothing about normalizing the seats before.

As I understand it, to normalize the seat, you move it as far to the front as it will go, and hold the switch for 3 secs. Then move it back, and do the same. Whether you have to do that to every seat motor, I'm not sure

I'm going to dig into the WIS a bit further, to try to understand this feature, and will report anything I discover here.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf W209 seat control cct.pdf (550.8 KB, 3223 views)
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 06:07 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Apr 2013
Headrests

Were any of you able to solve the headrest motor problem? My drivers side headrest is stuck up but when i fold the seat forward it drops. Any help is most appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Coupe/Convertible Forums > C209/A209 CLK-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in