Electric front seat headrest stuck up - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2013, 06:24 PM

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2010 ML350 FORMER: 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet, 2002 C240, 2001 ML320, 1984 300TD
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1694 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
It may just be de-synchronized - pull the fuse for the seat controller to see if it will reset.

--

- RODNEY

So you want to send me a private message? Please read this first:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Stable:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2013, 06:04 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Apr 2013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
thanks ill try that!
Old 11-04-2013, 05:04 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2013
Vehicle: 2005 CLK320
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I fixed the headrest not going down and not going down when the seat is tilted forward yesterday.

Here is what I did:

-Took the seat's back cover by unscrewing the two screws at the bottom of the cover

-Removed the headrest by pulling it out of the two white cups that hold it there.

-Pushed the motor assembly to the right (towards passenger seat) and removed it.

-Removed a black cover on the motor assembly which hides a gear.

-Removed the motor from the assembly

-Removed the connector/board from the motor which WAS THE PROBLEM. The solder joints from where the cable connects to the motor were bad and loose. (picture at the end).

-Re-soldered the 4 joints and put everything back together.

Now everything works perfectly. I'll be more than happy to provide more details if needed.

^ You can see the 4 solder joints on the right and how they are almost empty. I re-soldered those.
usafcajun likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2015, 12:23 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Aug 2015
Vehicle: 2004 CLK 500
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I just reviewed your post on the headrest not working. I have a 2004 CLK 500 and both the driver and passenger headrest is not work when using the up and down switch as well as when the seat is pulled forward. Is there a motor or fuse that needs to be replaced? Any suggestions?

Thank you,

Kim
Old 08-02-2015, 10:18 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2013
Vehicle: 2005 CLK320
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimpossible4you View Post
I just reviewed your post on the headrest not working. I have a 2004 CLK 500 and both the driver and passenger headrest is not work when using the up and down switch as well as when the seat is pulled forward. Is there a motor or fuse that needs to be replaced? Any suggestions?

Thank you,

Kim
I did not understand your post. Did you try the method I described and the problem was still not solved?
Old 08-03-2015, 02:51 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2013
Vehicle: MY05 CLK55 AMG , MY05 CLK320,Former,C180 Kompressor,Jensen Healey,Ford Capri V6,Alfa GTV.
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimpossible4you View Post

Thank you,

Kim
Check the wiring plug connections to the seat controller which is located under the seat. It seems that power is not getting to the head rest motor for some reason.
Old 12-26-2015, 04:41 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Dec 2015
I had the same problem with the headrest on the passengers side. It was stuck in the upper position and could not be lowered by the control button on the door. So I moved the passengers seat as far forward as it would go. As the seat moved forward the headrest started to retract although there were several clunks in the headrest as it lowered. When the seat was as far forward as it would go the headrest was fully retracted. Than I moved the seat back as far as it would go and the headrest extended as far as it would go while the seat was be moving backward. Than I tried the up down switch on the door panel and once again had control of the headrest. Thank you very much for this easy fix. It saved me a trip to the Mercedes dealer and perhaps an expensive repair bill. 2008 CLK
Dave
Old 06-07-2019, 04:43 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2019
Vehicle: 1995 CLK 350
Hello folks, my first post here resurrecting this thread. Thanks to xsever pointing me to re-soldering the little circuit board, that was my initial problem now solved. The motor now works when energized in both directions it's the "normalizing" of the system I cannot figure out. Tried the suggestions here but could someone please advise the step by step procedure?

Which direction to move and hold the seat, what button to hold, and so on.

Thanks Dave
Old 06-07-2019, 08:19 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2013
Vehicle: MY05 CLK55 AMG , MY05 CLK320,Former,C180 Kompressor,Jensen Healey,Ford Capri V6,Alfa GTV.
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Dave , I am not certain , but most systems in the car sometimes require re-synchronisation which involves pushing a button and holding it for about 2 seconds after the limit of travel.
For the seat ,I would try doing this for the forward travel , the rear travel, the base height , the backrest tilt and the head restraint up and down.
I would do the head restraint when the seat is in the rearmost position.

Good luck. ,,,Sometimes I wish I could put the head restraint down and then stop it from ever moving again.
Old 06-12-2019, 04:02 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2019
Vehicle: 1995 CLK 350
Thanks Benzyle, I fussed with it for a while on the weekend and got it to the lower most position and left it there. I went on to some other tasks, replacing all filters and an oil change. So far I've also "Plasti-Dipped" to of the rims in their silver and their aluminum color is an excellent match! Rubbed them down first, first the color then glossifier and very please.
Going back to the garage right now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Coupe/Convertible Forums > C209/A209 CLK-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in