Welp...did the dumb thing I swore I would never do...mechanical key locked in trunk - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2018
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Welp...did the dumb thing I swore I would never do...mechanical key locked in trunk

Yeah.....feel like the title says it all. I was working on my car frustrated, electric trunk release not working because top button is blinking showing a fault, so I can not unlock the trunk with the fob or the button.....Thoughts on getting access.

-Remove bass kicker in back seat, is this possible with no trunk access?
-Call dealer and see if they can cut a mechanical key from my Vin? (I have a 2001 430 clk, so not sure if they have the records for this)
-Last resort, bust out tail light to get to the keys

If anyone knows of any other Ideas, I am more than all ears. Thank you everyone, I am pretty embarrassed about this....especially since I promised myself I wouldnt.....and now its done lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 04:10 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2007
Vehicle: 2001 CLK320 Cabrio
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Posts 1 - 4 may not work because your roof's condition is keeping the central locking system from working, but the method in post 5 will get your trunk open.

https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...rill-lock.html
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 07:55 AM

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2010 ML350 FORMER: 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet, 2002 C240, 2001 ML320, 1984 300TD
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1694 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
I'm not as familiar with the W208 as I am the W209, but don't you have folding rear seats? If so, you may be able to g through the hat shelf (remove a speaker?) and reach in the release the seat latch. I know this can be done on the W209.

--

- RODNEY

So you want to send me a private message? Please read this first:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Stable:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 06:05 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2017
Vehicle: 2002 CLK 55 AMG
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudeney View Post
I'm not as familiar with the W208 as I am the W209, but don't you have folding rear seats? If so, you may be able to g through the hat shelf (remove a speaker?) and reach in the release the seat latch. I know this can be done on the W209.
He's got a convertible, so, no folding rear seats, and no "hat shelf".

Quote:
Originally Posted by German_autophile View Post
-Call dealer and see if they can cut a mechanical key from my Vin? (I have a 2001 430 clk, so not sure if they have the records for this)
This is probably your best bet. It shouldn't be too terribly expensive, and the dealer should be able to order a mechanical key cut to your vin.

As an alternate, if your top is operable (you said it had a faulty), it may be possible to access the trunk with the top up, stopped partway through they cycle, with the top cover up, if you open the partition. As a note, you will need to close the partition again to allow the top to operate.

If your top is not currently operable, you may be able to achieve the same by operating it manually. The procedure for which is detailed in your owner's manual, as well as elsewhere here on the forum.

Good luck!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2018
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMGSean View Post
He's got a convertible, so, no folding rear seats, and no "hat shelf".

This is probably your best bet. It shouldn't be too terribly expensive, and the dealer should be able to order a mechanical key cut to your vin.

As an alternate, if your top is operable (you said it had a faulty), it may be possible to access the trunk with the top up, stopped partway through they cycle, with the top cover up, if you open the partition. As a note, you will need to close the partition again to allow the top to operate.

If your top is not currently operable, you may be able to achieve the same by operating it manually. The procedure for which is detailed in your owner's manual, as well as elsewhere here on the forum.

Good luck!
sadly top does not work at all at the moment, no fluid (thats what i was trying to do after rebuilding the seals, before I got fed up and shut the trunk lol)

In any event, in a sad turn of events, my key got wet (salt water) and will no longer work with my car at all...so I have been forced to buy a new key for $375 dollars from benz....plus side, comes with the mechanical key lol

Moral of story, do not lock your only key in the trunk, and these smart keys do not like getting wet!!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 02:55 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2017
Vehicle: 2002 CLK 55 AMG
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Well,

Glad you got everything well sorted out.

I have a very strict rule... I never, ever, under any circumstances, lay the key down in the trunk. Ever.

If it's never in the trunk, you cannot lock it in the trunk.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 10:21 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Jul 2008
Vehicle: 2005 CLK500 w/30K
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by German_autophile View Post
In any event, in a sad turn of events, my key got wet (salt water) and will no longer work with my car at all...so I have been forced to buy a new key for $375 dollars from benz....plus side, comes with the mechanical key lol

Moral of story, do not lock your only key in the trunk, and these smart keys do not like getting wet!!
Good news is keys can be fixed, for a lot less than a new one.

Imagine how much easier you'll rest when there is an extra key hanging from the hook at home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Coupe/Convertible Forums > C208/A208 CLK-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in