And so it begins.... - Page 4 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-19-2016, 09:23 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Feb 2015
Vehicle: 1989 300SE (Mitzi); 2003 CLK 430 cabrio (Clifford)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert144 View Post
The donor car is to be parted out...
Thanks for sharing—your '99 is an online boner*!

Good to know—though I assume you've already put together a list of the stuff you wanna cannibalize first.

*graveyard car, i.e., bones. The first time I saw the word used in this context was a couple of months ago on this forum, and I had to chuckle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-19-2016, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2011
Vehicle: 1999 C43 AMG
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strassenkreuzer View Post
Thanks for sharing—your '99 is an online boner*!

Good to know—though I assume you've already put together a list of the stuff you wanna cannibalize first.

*graveyard car, i.e., bones. The first time I saw the word used in this context was a couple of months ago on this forum, and I had to chuckle.
Gotcha. I have just about all I need from the donor/boner. I am not going to lie, but I had a chuckle myself when I read that! It seems rather catchy, maybe it'll catch on and become some sort of meme.

The initial post regarding parting out the boner is where I will update what parts are no longer available as they are sold off.
Strassenkreuzer likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Surely you can't be serious!"
"I am serious.....and don't call me Shirley."
post #33 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-20-2016, 09:42 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Feb 2005
Vehicle: Daily: 2000 Kleemann Supercharged CLK 430. Seductress: 1988 Jap AMG SEC Widebody
Location: Northern Virginia @ Mount Vernon, the original Ground Zero
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Hey man - I've got one suggestion from the peanut gallery and three questions:

Your engine compartment looks delicious after your detailing work. I attached your pic below. My suggestion, given that you're obviously a perfectionist when it comes to our awesome CLKs, is that you consider painting the windshield washer reservoir tank black. I painted mine black recently with a very low gloss plastic paint and it looks like it came from the factory that way. The reason I painted it was because, in my humble opinion, in its natural light colored plastic state, it stands out waaayyy too much aesthetically under the hood. When it's black, the whole scene just looks more integrated and neat and the black reservoir aesthetically balances out the black air cleaner box on the other side of the engine compartment. Of course, when its black you cant tell how much fluid is in there without removing the lid - but the ever crafty German Engineers fitted that sometimes annoying "Washer Fluid Low" system that gently reminds us of the impending doom on the instrument cluster....

My first question is regarding those two diagonal support bars connecting the crossmember under the engine to the ends of the frame ahead of the doors. (you can see them in some of your underbody pics in this thread) My CLK isn't a convertible and I don't have those bars. I'm guessing they're just on convertibles and that they're for additional rigidity due to the lack of a fixed roof structure. My question is did you add these or are they on both of your convertible CLK's "from the factory"? I'd like to know because my car has extensive suspension mods and if I can get more rigidity in the frame/body, I'm all for installing a set on my car. I bet the attachment points are common to hardtops as well.

Second - do you know whether the front of the CLK can be jacked up using the crossmember under the engine?

And lastly - regarding you parts car - if the passenger side headlight is an HID unit and its in good shape and you're willing to part with it please PM me your price. The lens on my passenger's side main headlight has a severe crack and, according to my local dealer, the lens isn't sold separately.
And (assuming that when I get home tonight I can look at my CLK and conclude that I have existing attachment points) if your parts car has those diagonal support bars and you're willing to part with those, then please shoot me your price on them as well.

Sorry, but once my fingers get rolling it's hard to condense my typing

Thanks again for your thread!
Attached Images

Enjoy yourself, Marco.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-20-2016, 10:02 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowphat View Post
My first question is regarding those two diagonal support bars connecting the crossmember under the engine to the ends of the frame ahead of the doors. (you can see them in some of your underbody pics in this thread) My CLK isn't a convertible and I don't have those bars. I'm guessing they're just on convertibles and that they're for additional rigidity due to the lack of a fixed roof structure.
Yes, there are four of them. Two mounted fore and two aft. They extend from center out to the corners of the monoframe and you guessed it: They provide tensile strength to a body that lacks a roof—cabrio only. It's one of the reasons the cabrio is a few hundred pounds heavier than the coupe.
post #35 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-20-2016, 10:39 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Feb 2005
Vehicle: Daily: 2000 Kleemann Supercharged CLK 430. Seductress: 1988 Jap AMG SEC Widebody
Location: Northern Virginia @ Mount Vernon, the original Ground Zero
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strassenkreuzer View Post
Yes, there are four of them. Two mounted fore and two aft. They extend from center out to the corners of the monoframe and you guessed it: They provide tensile strength to a body that lacks a roof—cabrio only. It's one of the reasons the cabrio is a few hundred pounds heavier than the coupe.
Thanks for the info!

So to the original poster - if you have all four bars available, I may be interested in all four.

Enjoy yourself, Marco.

post #36 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-21-2016, 03:15 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2007
Vehicle: 2000 SL320, 2001 CLK320
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
You cannot install these bars on the coupe as there are no attachment points and secondly yes, you can use the cross bar behind the engine sump to jack up the car but ensure it will not slip and damage the sump - I talk from experience on my SL
post #37 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-21-2016, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Hey Lowphat, that is an excellent idea you had about painting the washer fluid reservoir black! The more I think of it, the better an idea it becomes, thank you for the idea. With regard to the passenger side headlight assembly, it is a halogen unit, not the Xenon. Additionally I do have all four chassis braces just in case you still want them.

I mention this because, in my experience in the industry, a great many people use the term "HID" interchangeably between regular Halogen and Xenon, thus creating untold amounts of confusion. I will do a lens restoration on the passenger side headlamp if you still want it.

Update: In addition to updating my previous posts with new pictures I had stupidly lost track of, Wolfgang has returned from his restorative trip to the body shop! Having had his nose-job (front bumper) and a mild skin treatment, (painting front passenger fender and blending with adjacent door) he easily looks many years younger and the quality of workmanship was well-worth the wait.

The body shop wanted the bumper pieces to cure for an extra few days and they advised me they should be ready on Monday, so I will collect them then, and Powers willing, I will be reassembling and reinstalling the front bumper fr the final time!

All that remains at this point are the new leather seat covers, swapping the soft tops over, new floor mats as they look rather tatty and they keep reverting back their incorrectly creased and folded shape no matter what, of course painting the windshield washer reservoir black as per lowphat's suggestion.

I will post pictures as soon as I am able. Thanks to you all for following and giving me your words of encouragement.

I will also try to post some pictures of the Boner* CLK ASAP as well.

Last edited by Robert144; 05-22-2016 at 12:49 AM. Reason: forgot to add a comment to another user
post #38 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-21-2016, 10:05 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert144 View Post
All that remains at this point are...the new floor mats as they look rather tatty and they keep reverting back their incorrectly creased and folded shape no matter what, of course painting the windshield washer reservoir black as per lowphat's suggestion.
A suggestion for you: I replaced my tattered original fabric mats with Mercedes-branded CLK rubber mats, and I couldn't be happier. IMO they look sportier because the hexagonal patter adds a nice visual to the floor. They're also super easy to clean (hose them off; five minutes in the sun and they're dry), and they'll last longer. IMO a better choice for the hundred or so one spends on good mats. Here's a set: 2003 2004 2005 Mercedes CLK320 Rubber Floor Mats Factory Items Black | eBay

If you're interested in what they look like in the car, I'll take and post a pic.
post #39 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-21-2016, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
You make a well-reasoned argument for the All weather floor mats instead of the OEM alternative, Kreuzer. Normally I would follow your suggestion, however I am going to use some aftermarket cut-to-fit floor mats for the car. I do not want to completely go crazy (any more than I already have, not that it is a long trip at all) on this project.

The reason being is I would like to sell the car in order to purchase an AMG of some kind. Given the prices of some W210 AMG's at present, I am aiming to snare myself one. I originally wanted a C43 more than I wanted my next breath, but decent examples are going for well over list value which is, according to edmunds.com and others, is $3k - $5k. This is probably due to the very limited number imported to the states and they get fewer as time wears on.

Additionally, my shop is also the only authorized dealer for MKB High Performance upgrades. And if I get an AMG, I can make it what Jeremy Clarkson perfectly described as "...an ax-muderer with headlights" at a lesser cost if I supply the labor myself (speaking of the C63 AMG in series 10 episode 10).

UPDATE: Donor pics just posted. Check my previous posts to view.

Last edited by Robert144; 05-23-2016 at 10:32 AM. Reason: announcement
post #40 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-25-2016, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
This just in...

My front bumper has been reassembled and is now back on the car!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	1891025  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Coupe/Convertible Forums > C208/A208 CLK-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in